Oil everywhere!!! Help!

venomous03svt_1

venomous03svt_1
Established Member
ouch.

on a healthy motor, your lowest cylinder should be within 10-15% of your highest cylinder. So if its 180 highest, lowest can be 155. of course, the less of a spread, the healthier and more efficient the motor is.

i think around 180psi is good. I have 180psi across on my passenger bank, and drivers bank is 135-155-165-175. Leakdown shows leaking through exhaust, which means i have some burnt exhaust valves on the drivers side.

Make sure you are doing the test on a warm motor (unless you dont want to run it), otherwise you cant really **** up a compression test, it either works or it doesnt. Next step is a leakdown test to see exactly what is causing low compression.

btw im pretty sure passenger bank is cylinders 1-4 starting from font to firewall, and drivers bank is 5-8 starting from front and ending at the firewall.

hmmm... i might just have to take it to a local performance shop and have it checked out. i love doing my own work on my own car but i just dont have the tools for it :shrug:

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
The reason it was sputtering and acting up at high RPM's but driving fine normal was because the ground strap on the plugs were melted back, effectively increasing the gap beyond the limit that it could still fire effectively in a high RPM/boost environment. Mine drove fine on the way home after I melted them, but it'd miss and stutter if I tried to boost at all, spark was being blown out.

I didn't have the oil problem, but I broke the porcelain off of 4 plugs on my stock motor a few years ago. Here's what the aftermath looked like. The engine ran fine after it happened for several months, it burned oil in #7 though, and the leakdown/compression was a bit down, but not much - it still made 502 RWHP. I finished it off one night with WOT pulls with no coolant in the intercooler fluid reservoir, the hose came off while I was driving at some point and I didn't know it, so #7 was finished off, and that's when I rebuilt it.

What you're seeing on the plugs is a sign of severe detonation. Mine was caused by air pockets in the coolant, causing excessively high cylinder temperatures at WOT which resulted in detonation.
Plugs1.jpg

You can see the nicks on the right side of the ringland caused by the porcelain, it will ding up pistons.
Piston73.jpg

I hope you got lucky and it and didn't melt anything in there. Get that compression / leakdown check done. I know how you feel, it really sucks :(

Did you ever double check the tune on it? What kind of A/F and timing curve? I see it was done with a mail tune from Rick, are you sure he got all the data he needed to make the tune?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread