oil filter adapter leaks

SVT1999

Livin' Life
Established Member
Has anyone ever had an issue with their OIL FILTER ADAPTER. I brought it to a mechanic and that where he said the oil was leaking from. I am leaking about 1/2 quart per month. So it is a pretty good leak, and making a mess underneath! Looking to see what it should cost to fix. i was quoted somewhere around $250, kinda sounds like a lot to just remove it and replace a gasket or something.... any help would be appreciated!

slick4_6

Established Member
Most of the time it is the rubber o ring. It is very inexpensive. Call Steve at Tousley Ford and tell him what is leaking and he can get you the o rings. When you remove the oil filter, the threaded piece has a hex shape on the inside for an allen wrench. Unscrew that and pull it out and their should be 2, I think, o rings on it. Those are the 2 you replace and then just screw it back in. It is a very common thing that happens with these cars.

Edit. Sometimes you can just tighten it up a little more and it will stop the leak.

Last edited:

slick4_6

Established Member
JC99305.gif

The piece the o ring goes on is #26 in this schematic if it helps any. That is the piece that holds it all together.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Sometimes all thats required is the part #26 just needs to be retorqued. Try that first before spending any money or taking it all apart.

Take the oil filter off and its a pretty good sized allen head wrench that fits it, give it a good turn and that should fix the problem.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
Wait did i miss read this thread? OP are you talking about the filter housing like everyone else is pointing you too or do you actually have a filter adapter on there as well that may be leaking

slick4_6

Established Member
How big of a mess would this cause? I have a leak and I can't find it.

Mine made a huge mess. I drove it home and parked it and it left a puddle that ran all the way out of the garage. It soaked the whole bottom of the car while driving. Sometimes when they go out they will only drip just a little bit. Most of the time when they start leaking they will leak out the small weep hole on the bottom of the oil cooler. Just take a look at the bottom of the oil cooler with the engine running.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'll have to check it then. The k member is covered in grime. And I have a small puddle when I park the car overnight.

zPipes

Established Member
my original cobra motor died because of a similar issue, and i didnt know it unbelievably. it had to do with part 22 or 24 i think. It appeared a bolt was missing when I looked at it. But, yea.. that was a problem with my car as well. Wish I was a bit more prudent a few years back. Could spent that money on a SC instead of a new motor, or at least on a built motor.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
JC99305.gif

The piece the o ring goes on is #26 in this schematic if it helps any. That is the piece that holds it all together.
Yup there is 1 Orange O-ring on #26 exactly were it's pointing.
While your doing that I'd see if the leak is actually coming from the oil cooler to engine block gasket(#23) that's were mine was coming from. When I rebuilt the motor the original gasket looked fine so I re-installed it, within 2 days I had a puddle on my garage floor, I thought it was the oil pan gasket which would have been a nightmare!:burn:

Last edited:

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Hey if anybody calls Tousley to order this, could you post up the part number or PM it to me? I just bought an oil cooler gasket, but I wanna try the O Ring before I take everything apart.

THanks a bunch, and if I get around to calling a dealer I'll post up the Ford PN.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yup there is 1 Orange O-ring on #26 exactly were it's pointing.
While your doing that I'd see if the leak is actually coming from the oil cooler to engine block gasket(#23) that's were mine was coming from. When I rebuilt the motor the original gasket looked fine so I re-installed it, within 2 days I had a puddle on my garage floor, I thought it was the oil pan gasket which would have been a nightmare!:burn:

Ok, I'll add that to my list of things to check. I re-used the stock gasket because it looked good.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I went to Napa today to pick up some stuff, and I asked about the O ring. Guy didn't have it, and said it was a dealer only part. He called the dealer, and told me that the dealer wanted $25 for it. I was like uh for the O ring? And he just laughed and said yeah.

So anyway, I might take the old one off and try to find one at the hardware store, otherwise I'll try to get one from Tousley.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Ok, I'll add that to my list of things to check. I re-used the stock gasket because it looked good.
Yeah try cleaning that area real good with a rag and let the car idle in your driveway for a few minutes then get under there with a flashlight and pinpoint where it's seeping. do you see any oil around the pan bolts starting at the oil cooler area working back? If so I'd say it's the gasket!

GreySVTSnake01

Established Member
I have had the O-ring from an oil filter come off the filter and stay on the face of the adapter without noticing. When I installed the new filter it was double gasketed and leaked like a civ. Sounds dumb I know, justa a thought.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have had the O-ring from an oil filter come off the filter and stay on the face of the adapter without noticing. When I installed the new filter it was double gasketed and leaked like a civ. Sounds dumb I know, justa a thought.

I did that once when I was a teen. Got oil all over my buddies garage wall.

Frid

Established Member
I have the same problem but im too lazy to fix it lol. Me and my buddy replaced the gasket b/w the adapter and the block but kept leaking. 4 hrs to find out how to get the damn thing out and 30 to put back in xD. SO now I'm gonna try the o-ring. And also make sure when you do this job to watch out for the coolant lol. Messy + hot do not mix too well.

Users who are viewing this thread