oil filter adapter leaks

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
was changing my oil and mine came out with the filter.. haha
Only to look at the red o ring and find it has a slight tear in it hence my leak.. I need to be at the track on saturday guess I will be taking it in the ass at the local ford dealer for a stupid o ring :(

I'll overnight you one of the sets shown above if you want.. (pm me for info)

fastback brian

Established Member
That small orange O-ring on the shaft has nothing to do with any possible oil leak.. As far as I can tell its there just to keep the cooler centered on the shaft... that shaft is suppose to be torqued down pretty tight, 40-45 lb-ft.. Now there can be 4 oil leak spots, two most common are at the block gasket and the other from the weep hole in the cooler.. the oil cooler has four large and the one small orange O-ring.. two O-rings seal out coolant and the other two seal out oil, they one large O-ring on the outside and there is one just on the inside the cooler.. the shaft keeps them tight but if it leaks out the weep hole then the inside O-ring is done, the same for the outside O-ring. You can remove the cooler part from the housing and replace the inside O-ring, its the same as the outside O-ring... I should probably take and post some pictures of cooler apart...

But first things is first, re-torque the oil filter shaft, 40-45 lb-ft. thats pretty tight and will feel like somthing is gonna strip or break so use the correct tools....

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I wonder if my shaft needs to be tightened, I just changed my oil and put on the filter and I seemed to have a small leak even though the filter seemed like it was on all the way. hmmmm good info

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
Just want to thank you guys for all the great information! Back in business and ready for the track on saturday!

Straussjoe

O-Ring installation on oil cooler - Same size inside as outside gasket

That small orange O-ring on the shaft has nothing to do with any possible oil leak.. As far as I can tell its there just to keep the cooler centered on the shaft... that shaft is suppose to be torqued down pretty tight, 40-45 lb-ft.. Now there can be 4 oil leak spots, two most common are at the block gasket and the other from the weep hole in the cooler.. the oil cooler has four large and the one small orange O-ring.. two O-rings seal out coolant and the other two seal out oil, they one large O-ring on the outside and there is one just on the inside the cooler.. the shaft keeps them tight but if it leaks out the weep hole then the inside O-ring is done, the same for the outside O-ring. You can remove the cooler part from the housing and replace the inside O-ring, its the same as the outside O-ring... I should probably take and post some pictures of cooler apart...

But first things is first, re-torque the oil filter shaft, 40-45 lb-ft. thats pretty tight and will feel like somthing is gonna strip or break so use the correct tools....

Yo Brian! Thank you for the insight. If the inside ring is the same size as the outside ring on the oil cooler, are you saying that I could just purchase an oil filter for the car, remove the rubber gasket, and insert it between the oil cooler and the pump? If so, I will get on it right away. Or, would you suggest that I purchase a gasket from latemodelrestoration.com such as this one: 1996-04 Mustang Oil Cooler To Adapter Gasket For 4.6L 4V by Ford at LRS - Same Day Shipping! Thank you, Brian! Steve Nimmo, Layton UT

01yellercobra

Established Member
That small orange O-ring on the shaft has nothing to do with any possible oil leak.. As far as I can tell its there just to keep the cooler centered on the shaft...

I just wanted to say that if the orange o-ring on the shaft is damaged, the cooler will leak. Mine was damaged and it was leaking pretty bad. Even with the shaft tighted to spec. I replaced that o-ring and the front/bottom of my engine is still clean.

fastback brian

Established Member
I just wanted to say that if the orange o-ring on the shaft is damaged, the cooler will leak. Mine was damaged and it was leaking pretty bad. Even with the shaft tighted to spec. I replaced that o-ring and the front/bottom of my engine is still clean.

right on. as long as it fixed the leak...
not gonna argue but that shaft oring seals out nothing, if it does leak it would be an internal leak, there is oil on both sides that oring, if it leaks then there is still oil on both sides..

fastback brian

Established Member
these are the two I have apart right now.. the outside and inside oil oring are the same, both are compressed by the shaft being torqued down.. them two and the oil filter are the only sources for an external leak.. the other two bigger orings seal out the coolant, I havent seen one leak coolant yet and so far have been in good shape the few Ive taken apart to reseal..
I don't recommend any attempt to disassemble a cooler..there really isnt a procedure to take them apart, its just a risk to damage the cooler, most are easy but there is always the one that will fight you and you will lose..
Image0156.jpg

Image0157.jpg

Image0158.jpg

Image0161.jpg

Established Member
Brian,

The (coolant's) inner core's two orange O-rings, are the measurements 3-1/8" ID x 3-3/8" OD x 1/8" Thick?

p.s. If anyone needs these parts, shoot me a PM.

Last edited:

Straussjoe

Has anyone ever had an issue with their OIL FILTER ADAPTER. I brought it to a mechanic and that where he said the oil was leaking from. I am leaking about 1/2 quart per month. So it is a pretty good leak, and making a mess underneath! Looking to see what it should cost to fix. i was quoted somewhere around $250, kinda sounds like a lot to just remove it and replace a gasket or something.... any help would be appreciated!

Hi there! Yep, same problem I just had and am in the process of fixing. You can get the retaining insert gasket, coolant gasket, oil filter adapter gasket and head gasket all separately but they cost about the same (inc. shipping) when you order the same kit from Speed Concepts (SpeedConcepts.net - Performance Parts to feed your appetite!). The kit, with shipping, is around $69. You will have it in four business days or so. It comes from CA. The oil is oozing from a "weep" hole that was designed in the part by the Special Vehicle Team folks at Ford to make you aware of a failing head adapter to oil cooler gasket. I would purchase the kit (or all the gaskets separately) as you will undoubtedly have a leak from somewhere after all the torquing involved on various parts. However, be prepared for a mess when you take it all apart. You will have a bit of coolant and oil to recycle. Enjoy!:rolling:

fastback brian

Established Member
Brian,

The (coolant's) inner core's two orange O-rings, are the measurements 3-1/8" ID x 3-3/8" OD x 1/8" Thick?

havent measured but they are two different diameters to start,probably 1/8 thick, the same as the oil rings..

o

techsavi

Looked all over for the answer

Thought I found it here or there, that stupied little o-ring must be te answer!
Until I found this thread!
Thanks Fastback Brian for explaining it all quickly and easily and for the pictures that are worth the other 1000 words.
Seeing how the o-rings are situated, what they're for and how they align explained it all of why the weep hole is leaking and why I have oil in my coolant.
Replaced the two oil side o-rings, flushed the cooling system with siimpple green until it was all clean and shazam!
no oil on the ground, no oil in the coolant.
$40 for 2 o-rings from the dealer, $10 for a gallon of simple green and an afternoon to do it.
Thanks again for all the input and effort.
:rockon:

suprsnke

Established Member
I started up my new motor today. I have a pretty good water leak which seems to be coming from the gasket between the block and the adapter. The adapter is used from my last motor. The rest of the oil cooler is brand new. Its to see up there, but when the engine was running I shined an LED flash light up there. I swore the water was coming from between the block and the adapter. Is this possible? All I hear is people saying that oil is leaking from there.

Ray Prato
#91 American Iron

Established Member
I started up my new motor today. I have a pretty good water leak which seems to be coming from the gasket between the block and the adapter. The adapter is used from my last motor. The rest of the oil cooler is brand new. Its to see up there, but when the engine was running I shined an LED flash light up there. I swore the water was coming from between the block and the adapter. Is this possible? All I hear is people saying that oil is leaking from there.

Ray Prato
#91 American Iron

There are two block gaskets.

(not my pic)
OilCoolerGasket.jpg

What year motor/block did you put in?

Depending on the year of your new motor, you will need either one of the block gasket above.

96-01 Cobra motors use the orange smaller hole "square-ish hole"
03-04 Cobra motors use the blue larger "square-ish hole"
03-04 FRPP aluminator motors use the blue larger "square-ish hole"

If you reused your old block gasket, then you need to replace it.

suprsnke

Established Member
The block is out of an 03 Mach. The adapter is from my original 98 Cobra motor. I'll pull it off tonight to see what gasket was used. Im pretty sure the engine builder reused the gasket and adapter from my 98 block.

Ray

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread