oil filter stud

grabber08

Established Member
My 03 Cobra sprang an oil leak after changing the oil . had about 700 miles on the oil when this happened. I changed to Amsoil full synthetic. Anyway, it seems to be leaking between the adapter and the cooler. I'm wondering if the stud may have loosened a little when I had the oil changed ??? The gu u said the filter was on really tight when he changes it. What size is the Allen head on the stud?? Figured I'd pull the oil filter and check it before going thru and having the cooler redone. Car has 14700 miles on her.

I'D WIN

Established Member
It tightens into place with a 12mm Allen wrench....50 ft-lbs is all you want or you risk cracking the cast aluminum. Check the oil filter for any damage before reinstalling.

Last edited:

grabber08

Established Member
Has anyone else had a problem with the stud coming loose a little and producing an oil leak 500 to 1000 miles in?

hotcobra03

Established Member
I would suggest to do all the gaskets on cooler and block to cooler..

you can get all the parts from ford or other ..

its very easy to do even 1st timer

this is a common issue but an area not to play ..

See stickys above...how to fix leaking oil cooler

step by step color pics

Last edited:

grabber08

Established Member
Just wanted to throw out a HUGE " THANKS" to the guys on this forum. Your knowledge is priceless on the Terminator Cobras. I finally broke down and tried to fix leak myself. pulled the oil filter off and checked the stud, I could turn it with my fingers!!!!! Got 4 rounds out of it before it tightened to 50 ft. lbs. put new filter on and drove her around a bit. Seems to be fixed. Super happy it didn't cost me an arm and leg right now!!!!!

hotcobra03

Established Member
Just wanted to throw out a HUGE " THANKS" to the guys on this forum. Your knowledge is priceless on the Terminator Cobras. I finally broke down and tried to fix leak myself. pulled the oil filter off and checked the stud, I could turn it with my fingers!!!!! Got 4 rounds out of it before it tightened to 50 ft. lbs. put new filter on and drove her around a bit. Seems to be fixed. Super happy it didn't cost me an arm and leg right now!!!!!

This site will keep you going...sadly these forums are getting quiet..thankfully they left behind alot of info in stickys

Users who are viewing this thread