Oil issue with 2017 gt350

darksrt

Established Member
I have researched this issue and a bunch of different theories have been addressed. There is two separate issues going on with the car and I’m just reaching out for any new angles of information. First is I am consuming about 1 quart every 1500 miles or so. This just started at about 25k miles on the car. I did pull the plugs and there is some oil on the plug from the number 8 cylinder. Its not a lot and the rest of the plugs are fine but it’s noticeable. The other main issue is on with the headers. The right bank of the headers are clean but the left side where the number 8 cylinder is there is obvious oil being burned. Im hoping that i just need catch cans and that maybe its just oil being collected by the pressure flap in the intake manifold and when it opens oil just gets dumped into that #8 cylinder. I know I probably need to get a borescope and look in that 8 cylinder to see if im getting blow by or if there is scoring. My oil pressure is good and i am not getting any misfires.

2. Im getting almost like a belt squeaking noise when i first start the car. At first i thought is was the belt but its good. Then maybe a cam phaser but that was ruled out by two mechanics. They thought maybe a lifter but once the valve covers were off the valve train on both sides were fine. So. Any thoughts? Im in the process of up loading a video and picture of what going on. Thanks.

edit: Also forgot to mention my mods are jlt intake, corsa mid pipe, kooks catless headers and tuned on e85 by Livernois.

Last edited:

darksrt

Established Member
E4160372-12B8-4109-A69A-F27A8014B7DE.jpeg

ANGREY

Established Member
Not good, looks like valve guide seal issue

My personal opinion is that this is the main culprit for guys that excessively drink oil. Especially when you consider many of them didn't have an issue up to a certain point and then night and day changed to overconsumption. There's not enough being collected in various catch cans for it to be the culprit and blowby the rings at startup/cold conditions is the same for everyone.

Ford probably has issues with the valve guides due to the increased compression of the voodoo. Which probably explains why they're not seeing the same issues with the coyote motors.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
I think I would be inclined to put that puppy back to stock until this is resolved.

If the mods are the issue, I'm not recommending conning Ford into fixing it . . . pay to play and all that.

But, assuming your modifications didn't cause this . . . and history says they didn't . . . I wouldn't give them any ammunition to deny your warranty claim. Just my $.02.

darksrt

Established Member
I think I would be inclined to put that puppy back to stock until this is resolved.

If the mods are the issue, I'm not recommending conning Ford into fixing it . . . pay to play and all that.

But, assuming your modifications didn't cause this . . . and history says they didn't . . . I wouldn't give them any ammunition to deny your warranty claim. Just my $.02.
The car is not under warranty anymore. Ford already has it documented my pcm has been altered.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Well, first, I'd say that 1 quart in 1,500 miles is pretty normal, so don't worry about it.

Second, the oil on the spark plug could be from a leaking valve cover ring seal allowing oil to pool around the plug so that it gets on the threads as you unscrew it. If there's burned oil on the outside of the headers then that's another valve cover leak, only the gasket this time.

Unless I'm misreading your post, it sounds like fixing a couple of leaks is all that's needed to get your oil consumption back to zero.

darksrt

Established Member
Well, first, I'd say that 1 quart in 1,500 miles is pretty normal, so don't worry about it.

Second, the oil on the spark plug could be from a leaking valve cover ring seal allowing oil to pool around the plug so that it gets on the threads as you unscrew it. If there's burned oil on the outside of the headers then that's another valve cover leak, only the gasket this time.

Unless I'm misreading your post, it sounds like fixing a couple of leaks is all that's needed to get your oil consumption back to zero.
theres oil being burned. It looks basically like my headers were almost powder coated from the inside and because im getting that noise on start up im thinkings its more the valve train. I think im going to have to remove the springs and look at all the valve guide seals like which was previously said.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
theres oil being burned. It looks basically like my headers were almost powder coated from the inside and because im getting that noise on start up im thinkings its more the valve train. I think im going to have to remove the springs and look at all the valve guide seals like which was previously said.
Okay, good luck! I was just trying to say, in the nicest way possible, to look for a simple explanation first before starting with the heroics. I gather the burned oil is on the inside of your headers on cyl 8, in which case, yes there's an oiling problem and the valve stem seals are a good starting point. Are you going to pull the head off or do the work with the head attached (compressed air in the spark plug hole method)?

darksrt

Established Member
Okay, good luck! I was just trying to say, in the nicest way possible, to look for a simple explanation first before starting with the heroics. I gather the burned oil is on the inside of your headers on cyl 8, in which case, yes there's an oiling problem and the valve stem seals are a good starting point. Are you going to pull the head off or do the work with the head attached (compressed air in the spark plug hole method)?
Going to try to get as far as i can with the head on but if I can’t locate the problem that way then heads got to come off unfortunately

fearthesnake

Established Member
Hey @darksrt - wanted to follow up to see how the Oil issue is and if resolved plus some other questions for you.

I've been in the market for a used 350 but leary because I've seen alot of buyback cars (Bad engines) and Oil issues. Actually, I've looked at 2 buyback cars with new Engines and feel better about those than buying a used 16/17 model with 10K-20K miles, multiple Owners and no issues reported. At least will get a year warranty included on any buyback car.

So did you find out what the Oil issue was and repair to fix it?

Also, what kind of HP/Tq gains did you see with the LTHs/E85?

Users who are viewing this thread