Oil pressure guage

1989Gt.

Banned
So im in the process of breaking in my motor just cruising arond im on mile 30 ive had nothing wrong but and exhaust leak, and a check engine for misfire in cyl 6. Anyways i was driving around town, And for the life of me could not keep it running once it got to opperating temp, Everytime i come to a stop she stalls out she tries to say on but somethings not lettig her. I did have a lean code a few days back.

And last but not least when i was about 1 mile away from my house when i rolled up to a stop my oil pressure guage would shut down pretty much at idle. Should i be worried.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
The oil pressure gauge will read normal as long as there is at least 6psi of oil pressure. Check your connection at the oil pressure sender to make sure its hooked up all the way.

Might want to install an actual oil pressure gauge to make sure you're good on oil press.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
I had this happening on my new engine in my Fox. Turns out the new throttle body wasn't adjusted right from the factory like it was supposed to be. Might want to get a good oil pressure gauge on it like Mystic suggested and fix that misfire code.

1989Gt.

Banned
I was planning on it, but what if my connection is good, and why when I accelerate does iy go up to the a on normal

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Couple of things..if you are talking about on a REAL oil pressure gauge..at idle I typically see anywhere between 10-25psi warm..and depending on temperature/RPM will see right up to 100psi on a normal basis.

If you are talking about the stock oil pressure gauge...like mentioned above..it only tells you if you are making 6# of pressure..or if you aren't. With that said..it could either be that you really are low on oil pressure..would could be a bad oil pump or other issues [is there any leaking whatsoever? does your car burn through a lot of oil?]

The other possibility [which is what I'm kinda leaning towards]..is a charging/electrical issue. Because the oil pressure gauge isn't a mechanical gauge, it sometimes won't read properly when you have an electric/charging issue of some sort[you don't have enough volts to move the needle to where it is supposed to sit..you get the same effect when you add a resistor in to try and move where the needle sits at. For an analogy, think about a flashlight with a dying battery..when it is full strength and good, it lights up to a particular brightness, but as it dies..it just gets dimmer and dimmer and can't power it properly.]

A charging/battery issue can also explain your misfiring/stumbling issue, as you don't have enough to power your spark properly, especially at idle where your alternator isn't at full sail.

Another quick check..when you are driving with your headlights...does its brightness seem affected? [dimmer, flickering, etc]

1989Gt.

Banned
Wow great info man, I honestly have not seen flickering, with the lights but my voltage guage says normal it sits on the o on it.

Wouldn't my other guages be effected if I had a charginr issue? How can I text this with a d.m.m why does thie happen with the car warm?

Another thing its a brand new oil pump Ford raving high volume.

1989Gt.

Banned
Wow great info man, I honestly have not seen flickering, with the lights but my voltage guage says normal it sits on the o on it.

Wouldn't my other guages be effected if I had a charginr issue? How can I text this with a d.m.m why does thie happen with the car warm?

Another thing its a brand new oil pump Ford raving high volume.

1989Gt.

Banned
Ok so i went out this morning checked the oil it was a little low, so i put about 3/4ths a quart in Turned it on, When the car warmed up went and pulled the iac valve it wanted to die so i know thats good,

Then i checked the voltage at the battery with the car running it was around 13v. So im pretty sure that was good.

Then i let the car idle warm and my freaking tach isnt working i got one of those tachs you have to tap the guage face and this time it wouldnt freaking move (cold maybe?!)

So i couldnt tell what she was idleing at but it was flickering between nor"ma"l and low oil pressure so before the " "normal.

1989Gt.

Banned
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp6CFXTfw1E&feature=channel_video_title"]MOV00011 - YouTube[/nomedia]

i know its kinda hard to see but i got the tach to work after that it was probably idling between 550rpms and 650 rpms Does this seem normal cause at around 700 rpms its fine it doesnt move at all.

heres a better vid tho. You can see how i move my steering wheel it does that crap its doing.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4NpBSMQZbM&feature=channel_video_title"]MOV00010 - YouTube[/nomedia]

dumbstixlars

Established Member
I'd do a base idle reset. Mine was idling fine, but would die when rolling up on stops. Turns out the TB blade was too close to closed, and the IAC was at full duty cycle just tying to keep the engine alive. When I'd let off the gas, the blade on the TB would slam shut, and the IAC couldn't open fast enough to keep it running. Pull the IAC plug, turn the throttle stop screw in a little, then fire it up, note the idle speed, then repeat as necessary until you are at about 750-800 RPMs, plug the IAC back in, and drive it around to see if that solves your dieing/low oil pressure problem.

1989Gt.

Banned
i got it to sit just at around 800 thanks. Also its still doing that flicker on the gauge. Idk whats up with it.

1989Gt.

Banned
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIu4EY9yiyM"]Flicker - YouTube[/nomedia]

Here is the best video i could find Like i said it only does it when the car is at regular idle soon as i tap the gas it goes normal.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
So start the car with the iac unplugged? after i changed the screw on the t/b

i got it to sit just at around 800 thanks. Also its still doing that flicker on the gauge. Idk whats up with it.

Yeah you got it.

Flicker - YouTube

Here is the best video i could find Like i said it only does it when the car is at regular idle soon as i tap the gas it goes normal.

Hmm. That looks like a bad sender, or an electrical problem. See if you can't find a mechanical gauge to hook up and see what it does.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
Well should I get mechanical or electric will sunpro be ok?

Yeah, a mechanical Sunpro would be good. I used a mechanical Autometer when I drill primed my fox's new engine. If you went with an electric, you'd have to power the gauge as well.

Users who are viewing this thread