Oil recommendations

QTR

STAGE 3
Established Member
Hi guys,

I see you guys recommend a heavier oil than the 5w20 for supercharged engines. I live in a country with 120+ weather all summer, and it gets pretty humid too. Brutal conditions for a supercharged vehicle.

What intervals do you guys recommend for changing the oil and the oil filter in those conditions ?

My car is still on the factory oil, I'm just over 1000 miles at the moment.

I bought the Motorcraft FL500S oil filter online already since it's not available here. Just researching the oil so I could look around and see if it's available here. I know for a fact that Mobil 1 is available, and is the most expensive here, just need to know which oil weight I should go with.

Your help is greatly appreciated guys. I just wanna find out which oil should I use and at what intervals should I change it along with the oil filter.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Hi guys,

I see you guys recommend a heavier oil than the 5w20 for supercharged engines. I live in a country with 120+ weather all summer, and it gets pretty humid too. Brutal conditions for a supercharged vehicle.

What intervals do you guys recommend for changing the oil and the oil filter in those conditions ?

My car is still on the factory oil, I'm just over 1000 miles at the moment.

I bought the Motorcraft FL500S oil filter online already since it's not available here. Just researching the oil so I could look around and see if it's available here. I know for a fact that Mobil 1 is available, and is the most expensive here, just need to know which oil weight I should go with.

Your help is greatly appreciated guys. I just wanna find out which oil should I use and at what intervals should I change it along with the oil filter.

Don't you have to run the viscosity they say to in order to remain warranty compliant? Is there a specific Roush viscosity recommendation for the supercharged version?

QTR

STAGE 3
Established Member
I purchased the car from the U.S., we don't have a Roush dealer here. So the recommendations aren't applicable to me since I live in another continent.

Also, I have no warranty :D

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I purchased the car from the U.S., we don't have a Roush dealer here. So the recommendations aren't applicable to me since I live in another continent.

Also, I have no warranty :D

For normal street fun driving you do not need to run a thicker oil unless the oil itself is getting hotter than normal.

I would just run a step thicker Royal Purple HPS 10W-30 or 5W-30 and enjoy the better protection. I would also wait till the rings are done breaking in.

However with only 1,000 miles on it I would leave that oil in there longer and wait till you know the rings are done breaking in.
These 5.0 cars occasionally have an oil consumption issue so I recommend leaving the factory fill oil in until the first scheduled oil change. Probably somewhere around 7,000 miles.

Changing to a synthetic too soon can sometimes slow down or stop the desirable ring wear at the beginning of an engine's life that gives a better ring seal.

I would be tempted, depending on what your oil consumption ends up looking like, to no switch to synthetic until 10,000 miles on a new 5.0.

QTR

STAGE 3
Established Member
We only have 0w40 oil here, would that work with the engine, It's Mobil 1.

If not, I'll see if I can buy oil online, not sure.

SVTDice

Established Member
You would be better off ordering oil Online then putting 0w40 into your engine.

I would go with 10w30 if I was you.

QTR

STAGE 3
Established Member
I can do that. Would that offer better protection in my hot weather ?

I'll also order the Ford Racing oil filter as I heard it's better. I just wish I hadn't bought the Motorcraft FL500S. Oh well.

SVTDice

Established Member
I can do that. Would that offer better protection in my hot weather ?

I'll also order the Ford Racing oil filter as I heard it's better. I just wish I hadn't bought the Motorcraft FL500S. Oh well.

10w30 Would offer MUCH better protection then 5w20 in hot weather. Honestly if you order online there are better filters then Motorcraft. Amsoil and Royal Purple make VERY good filters. That offer better flow and filtering then the Motorcraft version.

If you are running your car hard, Then this is what you want. :rockon:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
what motor is in that Roush a 5.4? cause the GT500's call for a different weight than the 4V modular in Cobras etc..

Swiftoy

Established Member
Given the temps you will be driving in and the fact that you are supercharged if you are going to use a 30 weight oil I would make sure it is a true synthetic oil. Using a 40 weight oil might not be a bad idea since they tend to have a greater high temp high shear numbers. M1 0W/40 is not a bad choice if that is all you have available to you. 120° temps ouch!

trickability

Established Member
For normal street fun driving you do not need to run a thicker oil unless the oil itself is getting hotter than normal.

I would just run a step thicker Royal Purple HPS 10W-30 or 5W-30 and enjoy the better protection. I would also wait till the rings are done breaking in.

However with only 1,000 miles on it I would leave that oil in there longer and wait till you know the rings are done breaking in.
These 5.0 cars occasionally have an oil consumption issue so I recommend leaving the factory fill oil in until the first scheduled oil change. Probably somewhere around 7,000 miles.

Changing to a synthetic too soon can sometimes slow down or stop the desirable ring wear at the beginning of an engine's life that gives a better ring seal.

I would be tempted, depending on what your oil consumption ends up looking like, to no switch to synthetic until 10,000 miles on a new 5.0.
first oil change. I have build hundreds of motors, no way I would go 7th miles on the break in oil.

Last edited:

trickability

Established Member
Welcome to 2012, even cheap oils today are way better than they used to be.:beer:
I have been an engine builder since 1975 and have seen the amount of metal that a new motor makes a 50 miles much less 7thousand. You will do more damage to a motor running oil that long that 20 ths miles after a oil change at 100 miles and then reg changes. it will soon be 2013 thank you.....

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I have been an engine builder since 1975 and have seen the amount of metal that a new motor makes a 50 miles much less 7thousand. You will do more damage to a motor running oil that long that 20 ths miles after a oil change at 100 miles and then reg changes. it will soon be 2013 thank you.....

The oil filter is passing all that metal right through or bypassing at only 50 miles?:shrug:

On production engines I'm not convinced that they are actually using a break in oil, especially if they recommend a 7k drain interval. I would not be surprised if the factory fill turned out to be a bulk 5w20 synth blend of some sort.

Users who are viewing this thread