Oil Viscosity for DOHC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Oil ? for modular powered Mustang owners - Corner-Carvers Forums

There's the original discussion on CC. I've been running 5w30 since I read it. Haven't noticed a difference in gas mileage. It sucked with 5w20, and it still sucks just as much with 5w30.
That's a real good link, but somewhat old, Scott suggested using 5W30 with the 3V's also but that opinion has changed since then due the to VVT! (He did say that he didn't personally do tests on the 3V though)

M.P. Cobra Fan

Are you my baby's momma?
Established Member
I can honestly say I have never seen this discussion. So thanks for posting it up. It is very interesting and something to keep in mind since I will be changing my oil this week.

st4ng07

Established Member
Metal- In general all engines will vary, I mean in theory everything should work perfect. but thats just how it is. Ive been running 5w20 and maybe burn 1/2 a quart between oil changes. If your driving purely city your gonna burn oil because of short run times. When I was living in the city I would burn a quart between each oil change.

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
burning oil is not normal. like I said, my car doesn't burn any oil, I run 5w-40 or 0w-40

st4ng07

Established Member
Serpentor look at what climate you also live in? High heat, I live in northern illinois I still drive my car all the way till 40 degree weather. And yes burning oil will happen. THeir are so many different variables. Im really not trying to make an argument either, just stating oil viscosity will vary due to climates. I run 5w20 with no problems.

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
well yeah you're right, Bay Area is probably 70-80deg 9 months out of the year. different climate. I'm just saying not all cars burn oil... It depends a lot on different factors like initial break in, build quality of the engine, machining tolerances etc... but my point that I didn't make clearly is that maybe switching to 5w-40 might cause you to burn less oil.

Bart7279

Established Member
I have to agree on the 99's needing 30 weight. I had my car taken in while I was gone (god love the military) and when I returned I noticed the sticker said 5w20 on it...... I was skeptical about it.. but after driving on it for a few weeks (and then again this might just be me) I noticed that it wasn't running as good... seemed to have a slight chatter in the engine and a little burning of oil smell and slight smoke....... so I would go with what has been echoed here... 30w x 7 quarts and you can't go wrong.

jshertx

Established Member
OMG! TOmAtO, TOmatO!! This discussion is over whether to use 5w-20 or 5w30? I primarly use 5w-30, but once I grabbed the Mobil 1 and thought it was 30, but actually it was 5w-20. I realized this a month later after my receipt was long gone in the washer, and I was oiling the new filter gasket. :cuss: So I did some research, before I dumped that 5w-20 honey in my snake. The switch to 5w-20 in 2001 was for CAFE crap only. There are no other differences in the engine based on oil recommendation. If you visit Mobil 1 - World's Leading Synthetic Motor Oil Brand, and enter your vehicle information, it recommends the 5w-20 synthetic. The 5w-20 is suppose to be better in colder climates, and 5w-30 in hotter climates. IMO call Ford and ask them. They update their recommendations periodically based on new technology and additives to products.
I RAN THE 5W-20 FOR 3K MILES ONCE, AND THE ENGINE DIDN'T SMOKE, VALVES DIDN'T RATTLE, THROTTLE DIDN'T GET STUCK, GAS DIDN'T SQUIRT OUT THE FILLER CAP, AND THE TAIL PIPES DIDN'T BELCH FIRE. LOL

Last edited:

v6mustang164

Established Member
I think I will be switching back to 5w-30 now that I read this. Also, I was looking at a 2010 cobra jet track car at fast lane(car dealer) today which is a pretty cool car and the oil cap said 5w-50.

Last edited:

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
A lot of good posts in here with everyones personal experiences. Thanks for not turning it into a pissing match and ruining the thread.

jdwight

Established Member
This is an interesting conversation. Did Ford say anything about changing the viscosity on 96 Cobra's? What is suggested by you guys for that year? Any experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread