Ok guys, car is back together but won't start! Help me please!..

JP_Stang

Established Member
Hey guys,

I am sure you are just about sick of helping me by now, but my car won't start! I got everything back together, she cranks and cranks but won't start. I asked about my fuel pump a little while ago about how it kicks on for a second or two then kicks off in the "on" position but I wasn't building any pressure. A few of you said that it will build pressure when I start cranking it to start it. Well I keep waiting to see my fuel pressure build while I am cranking it but it never does. The pump should definitely be running while I am cranking the car over correct? I am the only one here so I can't really tell if it's even running while I am cranking. Just from what I can hear, it doesn't sound to be.....

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

JP_Stang

Established Member
Just a quick update. I cycled the pump on and off several times and I began to build fuel pressure. It got up to about 13 psi or so and I tried to crank it again but I don't guess that's enough pressure. I lost a few psi when I tried cranking it so I just stopped. I don't want to burn my pump up.

crazycarlo

Established Member
you should deff be making more fuel pressure then that man. Id make sure you dont have a kink in any of the lines, make sure all the lines are tightened on the hat and all. they should build pressure in the lines when you prime it. At a worse case it should build pressure after 2 primes which you said isnt happening.

JP_Stang

Established Member
I was told by several other people that there is no way that system could prime in a matter of a second. I am using -10 feed line with -8 return. I would think with those big lines that it would take the pump running for quite some time to be able to fill and prime the whole system. I could be completely wrong, I don't know. I guess what I should say is that I hope I am not wrong! Like I said in the second post, I got it to build up to around 13psi by cycling the pump on several times. I am going to check it today when I get home from to work to see if it has leaked down or not. If it holds the pressure that is in it now, that would be a good indication that the system is sealed good, right?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
what tune are you running for the startup? the fuel sitch you have is not uncommon and imo will not keep the car from starting. that is, if the pump is working correctly.

JP_Stang

Established Member
I am using the same tune that the car had when I got it. It consisted of a different MAF, 2 255 pumps in series, stock lines and 42lb. injectors. When I swapped the MAF and installed the 60's (before I upgraded the lines and pump) the car started and would idle and rev no problem. I didn't think just switching the lines and pump out would prevent it from just starting, but again I could be wrong. This is the first time I have owned a car with this size pump and lines so I am a noob to this side of modding.

Do you think I am going to need to have my tuner download a quick tune to get the car to fire? Also, is 13psi even enough fuel pressure for the car fire?

Oh, I have also gone from an Aeromotive stock fuel rail mounted FPR to a BBK adj. FPR and big fuel rails. Maybe this is too much of a change for the car to even start?....

JP_Stang

Established Member
Also, my car is low on gas, like under an 1/8th of a tank so I am going to fill a 5 gal. gas tank up today on my home and put that in there. I know the pickup tubes don't like to go under a certain amount of fuel. Glenn's claims that you can run these pickup tubes to empty but I am going to go ahead and put some more gas in it.

FWIW, I could tell when the pump actually pulled fuel in. It got much smoother and more distinctive sound.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
put some gas in it, and if that doesn't get it there- definately need a start up tune IMO. remember all my problems I had? and it turned out to be a ****ed tune.

JP_Stang

Established Member
Ok, I am going to do that as soon as get home and then give it another try. Yeah I remember that now that you say it. Thanks man. I will let you know what happens this afternoon.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The rails aren't gonna hold pressure with key on engine off in your return fuel system, there's no check valve and the lines won't hold it til the car cranks over and starts!

JP_Stang

Established Member
The regulator doesn't hold any pressure on the feed side? For some reason I thought the way it worked was by keeping the chosen pressure you set by bleeding off anything above the set pressure to the return side. That is just how I imagined it worked. So the regulator doesn't keep the feed side at the pressure you set it at? The gas will just flow down the return line and back to the tank when you shut the car off?

JP_Stang

Established Member
BTW, I was held up working on the house and didn't get the chance to get to the gas station and get some gas in her tonight. I will get that done in the morning and let you guys know how it goes.

Fast?notyet

Established Member
ok how does that prime set up work? (i'm asking everybody because i dont know) does it sense the fuel pressure at the fuel rails or does it just cut on for a preset amount of time? If it comes on for a certain amount of time than the extra amount of fuel that the fuel line holds could be the difference if it works off of the fuel rail mounted pressure sensor and u didn't keep yours it will not work not saying these are what they r just trying to give u ideas also if you have a new fuel pressure regulator how do u know it isn't set at 13 psi? just ideas to help hopefully the fuel will not hold unless you have a 1 way valve somewhere in ur system to stop it from flowing back out threw your pumps car should start without any computer changes but notice "should" lol modding is a B.

JP_Stang

Established Member
On my car it is set amount of time that the pump comes on when I turn the key on, and that is literally a second. Good point, I don't know what the regulator is set at but the guy I bought it from said he had it set at 40psi base pressure on his car which was the same motor I have. I just figured it would most likely be around that. Plus, I think the pressure would have kept slowly going up, that's just the point at which I decided to try to crank it again.

JP_Stang

Established Member
Ok guys, the car just needed some gas! LOL! The car started, granted it has been a little while, a couple of months maybe since the last time I fired her up. It was when I had the old fuel system on it. When putting the new fuel system on I had to take the spark plug wires loose to install the fuel rails. I got a little confused when putting them back into the right order, I know it was stupid not to mark them first, I just didn't think about it til it was too late. Anyhow, the car is not running smooth now. It is jumping like they are out of order. Does anybody know the correct order for the plug wires on a 96 Cobra? If anyone could post a few pictures of how yours are routed would be very much appreciated!

Last edited:

JP_Stang

Established Member
Nevermind guys, I found the firing order for my car. I did have two I had flip flopped. I got that done and the car runs like a kitten! She is finally ready for my tuner after almost 18 months of her being down for upgrades!

JP_Stang

Established Member
Thanks guys! Yes it is a great feeling knowing that she will be back soon. I did get somewhat bad news again today tho, my local tuner told me he couldn't get me in till the 1st of November! That is a long time to look at her just sit there knowing she is ready! It wouldn't be so bad if I could putt around town in her safely, but the fact that I won't be able to do anything with her just eats me up! I noticed that my A/F ratio gauge powered up on the drive but it didn't read anything. I hope that is just the sensor gone bad.

Users who are viewing this thread