Ok I have a question has anybody herd a (Pre Production Cobra?)

jo2fst4u

Established Member
Ok I have a question has anybody herd a (Pre Production Cobra?) I have a 1995 Cobra with the 4.6 from the factory. I have done a car fax, I also have called the SVT hotline.

Here’s what I have found out sofar.

Ownership History from Carfax report

1st owner was no data listed
2nd owner titled the car on 12/17/2001 state was Michigan
3rd owner titled the car on 06/25/2002 state was Connecticut (This is where I got it)

The guy I got the car from said it was a PP1 Cobra.

I got this from the SVT line.

They said the car has a funny history.
The warranty was cancelled from the factory. And that it is listed as a 5.0 Cobra. But it has the 4.6 4v Cobra engine in it.

The car was in some ads for Tokico shocks, and Torsen differentials. I have copies of the ads. I also called both Tokico and Torsen diffs; the guy at Torsen diffs knew the car. He said it belonged to John Ames a member of SCCA racing. It was a prototype car from Ford.

I would like to get all the info on a PP1 Pre Production Cobra that I can find.

Thanks for any help.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I have heard about it but looks like you know more than me.
I will try to find where I heard/read about it and post tommorrow.

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member
You should post pics of the door tag and under the hood and all that good stuff! Does it have the 96-98 hood? Does it have the vertical tail lights or horizontal ones? Do you wanna sell it? jk about that last one. Sounds like you got a rare one! I'm super interested in whatever else you can find out and please post pics if you have em.

jo2fst4u

Established Member
It has a cobra RR hood, has the 96 tail lights, also has the third brake light on the wing. I will try and post pics.

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member
Holy hell. That sounds crazy. Its got the 95 R style hood, the 96+tail bezels but retains the brake light in the "crabclaw" wing? Im even more interested! How many miles does a collector edition like that have? Hopefully not too many. You are sitting on a gold mine if SVT can confirm and draw up some paperwork for ya. Especially since it's been in ads too.

95cobby

Established Member
Are you sure the VIN is of a 95 Cobra? That would be really cool if you found such a rare car. In the pics it has the 94-95 Rear Wing and Deck Lid, 96-98 Tails and Rear Bumper, 98 Cobra R Rims... That is a really nice lookin car! Check into it some more and let us know what ya find! You shld also send a copy of your title to SVT and see what they send ya as a Certificate for the car.

jo2fst4u

Established Member
I was told from SVT it's a late number car #3,629 of 4,005 born on march 27.1995.

Here what i have found on pp1

In order to increase enthusiasts and acceptance of it's tactics and strategy for the Mustang modular engine program, Ford is taking early pre-production 1996 GT and Cobra models to the Mustang club show circuit. The cars that have been shown are "pre production", meaning that they do not necessarily represent the final appearance and/or content. The engines and drivetrains have been to production representative; the bodies are essentially 1995 GT with only a few of the new updates present.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I would never ever sell that thing if I were you... that's probably worth a fortune.

Beautiful car. Looks mean as hell.. :rockon:

jo2fst4u

Established Member
97CasperCobra said:
I agree...

I remember you posting a while back..haven't seen anything from ya in a while jo2fst4u.

No i have been real busy, still here and still have have Cobra, I have had more stuff polished under the hood, and put on some 18" Boyds.

jo2fst4u

Established Member
Ok here is some more info, here is a link to one of the ads, The car belonged to John ames. it was his race car! see the ad. maybe i need to contact John ames. I have the same ad. if any one has John Ames contact info i am looking to get ahold of him. I guess thats why it was never titled til 2001 it was a race car! and looks like it might have been a (give me ) test car for visteon...........

http://www.torsen.com/products/T-2R.htm

Jeff

Last edited:

jo2fst4u

Established Member
Here's the last reply from Torsen T2R differentials

Hello Jeff,

It was several years ago that we worked with John on this. I don’t remember exactly when – 1998 or 1999 possibly. At the time, we were developing our T-2R high-bias product line. We needed a real-world test of the product, and at the same time, John came to us looking for an improved differential. Seeing as how he was a national winner, it seemed like he would be a good person to test/evaluate the product for us. I built several differentials for him, with different combinations of preloading and locking-effect level. He gave us his feedback on them and would send the used ones back for inspection and such. The picture on our website is a scan of an 11x17” photo that he sent us so that we could use it promotionally. If I’m not mistaken, it was taken in Topeka in ’99. We have the original framed and on the wall here. I haven’t spoken with John since he sold the car, so I don’t know which version of the differential was in it at the time (or if it would still be there at all). If it does still have it, though, we might be interested in seeing how well it held up…

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
thanks for the pic Jeff. Looks like when John had the car he had the 96-98 Cobra hood....wonder when the R hood was put on. The Boyd's look good man.

I wouldn't sell it if I were you....something like this is a rare car with a LOT of history. How many miles are on the car now Jeff??? As far as contacting John, I'd check around the open-track scene...maybe see if Torsen can give ya an address or something to lead you in the right direction. :thumbsup: Let us know what else you find out.

Users who are viewing this thread