Ok, i'm a little stumped. throw out bearing? ...maybe?

JustinG60

Terminatorless : (
Established Member
ok, this one's quite interesting to me. i am used to throw out bearings making a "chatter" but this is not really the case...

the car is a 1999 Mustang GT vert incase any of this matters. completely stock to my knowledge but i haven't really dug into the car yet...

if you just want the short version it's making the sound in the video below, seems to stop when clutch is pressed in

http://youtu.be/1TsixSzceno?list=UUcaqHLV5i5RUtak0dSk7Wyw

the full story, rather short, is i bought the car and it didn't make this noise. drove it about a half mile, no noise. loaded it onto the trailer, got it home, unloaded it and no noise. i decide to get in it a bit taking it to the house from where i unloaded, the stretch was maybe 100 ft until i had to turn so really not that hard at all. get to the house, park it and now it's making the squealing like sound, along with what sounds like an exhaust leak. the front of the car, hood up, can't hear it at all. get to the side of the car and inside you can hear it. it is also makes the sound in correlation to the engine RPM. today i moved the car, warmed the car up and it stopped when i had the clutch pressed in.

oh yeh, i think i blew the stock mufflers out a bit when i dogged it because they were leaking a lot of water from the seams when i made this video. didn't notice it until i stopped filming... i used this as an excuse to buy the SLP Loudmouth exhaust i wanted haha

thanks for any input!

Three21

Established Member
Sounds like a TOB, mine would squeal similarly before I replaced it at the same time as the clutch.

I would replace the TOB and pilot bearing with a Ford Racing part. If you're going to keep the car a while I recommend picking up a new FORD clutch cable, those things stretch over time and can be the source of problems down the road. Some optional parts I'd pick up are a firewall adjuster and new shifter (I love my MGW on my T45).

JustinG60

Terminatorless : (
Established Member
i appreciate the feedback, i have spent the last few days starting the car, trying to hunt down the noise, pressing the clutch, ect... and i agree TOB. i have also found through research i need to use Ford TOB and Pilot bearings or i will soon be in the same spot i am in. didn't know about the cable though, i'll have to do that as well. can't say i am familiar with a firewall adjuster, rather a noob to Mustangs since i bought my Cobra practically new i just got to have fun with none of the maint issues. i'll do some forum searches for info on the firewall adjuster. thanks again!

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
My Ford racing throw out bearing was making noise after just 3k miles. It's annoying but I've just come to deal with it, I was rather surprised it started to chirp early on. It's possible I may have just gotten a dud, who knows. At the same time, it hasn't seen an easy life inside my trans either, lots and lots of powershifts. TOB's are annoying but unless they start growling real loud it's not anything to be concerned with.

Zemedici

Established Member
my TOB was making a similar noise, but would sort of chatter when the clutch was engaged, and make a different sort of chatter when it was disengaged.

Turns out the pivot ball wasnt tight, and my TOB exploded saturday night. haha

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
my TOB was making a similar noise, but would sort of chatter when the clutch was engaged, and make a different sort of chatter when it was disengaged.

Turns out the pivot ball wasnt tight, and my TOB exploded saturday night. haha

Haha it's not at all funny, but I did get a great chuckle out of it while reading it with the way you worded it!

bobby_0081

Established Member
I have the Ford Racing 11 inch clutch which is a Centerforce painted blue. IT makes all kinds of noise. I hate that stupid clutch. The weights on the diaphragm fingers rattle when it is sitting and idling and makes my otherwise nice car sound like a jalopy!

nxhappy

Established Member
yep it's the TOB. The chatter stops with the clutch pressed in . Very common on the older stangs.

Users who are viewing this thread