Okay, What Did I Do?

SnakeEyes87

Established Member
I went to the dragstrip tonight and ran my car. Didn't run horribely, but should have run better, consistent 13.1's at 109 w/2.1-2.2 60's, humid and a head-wind. I want to kick myself, but I just had to do one more run. 11:00, dragstrip was closing, went up to the line to attempt my burnout, traction control off, but the tire weren't spinning. At the time, I don't think I was on the clutch too hard, but it started smoking like hell. Let off and went up to the line, car seemed like it was releasing okay to keep driving. Got to the line, launched, and it went crazy. I got on it, the RPM's went up, but the car didn't speed up, boost was not picking up at all. It would boost and RPM's would go up, just no action.

Is all this the result of a seriously bad clutch or did I do something else? Any help would be so greatly apprectiated!

Thanks
Chelsea

Btw, kicked a 99 SS Cameros ass baaaaad! He went down! Gotta love being beat by a chick driver!

03DOHC

Established Member
Clutch is fully released and your rpms go up and the car doesn't move or moves slow right? Smells burnt, like you left the e-brake on? Either your clutch is fried or it's not engaging fully and it will smoke.

Last edited:

SnakeEyes87

Established Member
Yep, that's it. I guess I just didn't get the 1st one down this bad, thanks for the quick responses. This has eased a lot of pressure. I just knew I had done something else to it.

Anyone know of a clutch that will hold up to a "clutchy" driver?

Silver 03 Cobra

I've got a Spec Stg. II new in the box with the receipt for a good price. I live north of Charlotte. I'll sell for a good price if you are interested.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
If you've smoked two clutches at the HP level in your sig, I'd say you need to learn to drive. :)

Seriously, that's not normal. Even with hard driving. Unless you have 50,000 miles. Do you?

SnakeEyes87

Established Member
I've gotten many compliments on my driving. For the past 2 months or so, i've been going to the dragstrip every wednesday night and trying to get my car to hook. I wasn't having any clutch problems until I got the drag radials, and then I believe the burnouts and powershifting are working on it now. Last Wednesday will probably be my last trip out there for a while until I've broken in the new clutch easily and I'm probably going to chill out with the racing thing for a while. I've poared too much cash into this car over too short of a period of time.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
By the way, I'm not saying you need to learn to drive as in go faster. Your times are great.

I'm saying you need to understand how much you are riding / slipping the clutch and that it's not necessary to the extent you must be doing it to burn up two clutches.

BLACK SUNSHINE

Established Member
I know a number of guys who fried their clutch doing burnouts on the starting line. I almost did it once myself, but all a got was a little of that pungent smell. We all ease out our clutches for smooth take offs from a stop during daily driving (on the street around cops), so it becomes second nature. You just have to make sure you concentrate on dumping that clutch out quickly when doing your burnout so it does not slip.

OCCOBRA

Picture Whirled Peas
Established Member
Resting your foot on the clutch can cause glazing. And it is real easy to glaze it when you are feathering the clutch out of the hole. You can get better times, sometimes, but run the risk of buying a new clutch. I've been there and it sucks. I adjust the rpm's more and pop the clutch as fast as i can. Hope that helps.

SnakeEyes87

Established Member
Thanks for all of your supportive help. I agree with BLACK SUNSHINE, it gets second nature to kinda hold on the clutch in burnouts. Well, there's always next time, as soon as I can buy a new clutch.

jtfx6552

Established Member
You really need to be careful with the burn outs. I do second gear ones, which is even harder on the clutch. I need to get the tires wet, and hit them hard to brake them loose. I watch the speedo. If it doesn't immediatly jump off the peg , as in the tries are spinning, i let out and try again.

JT

bosscobra

Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
If you've smoked two clutches at the HP level in your sig, I'd say you need to learn to drive. :)

Seriously, that's not normal. Even with hard driving. Unless you have 50,000 miles. Do you?
u the man:burn:

Users who are viewing this thread