Older cars around $10k that dont depreciate

Snake Plissken

Established Member
As a child in the '60's the family drove past the GM plant in N. STL on Union Blvd. on our way to church every Sunday. I remember seeing the dozens upon dozens of finished Corvettes parked outside in a big lot with a 10' barbed wire fence surrounding. For about $6,xxx you could buy a '67 427 4-speed. I mentioned to my dad as we passed by, you should buy one. His reply, we aren't rich. Oh, to have paid 6-grand back then... keep it in great shape, low miles original your looking at probably 6-figures today.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Having spent more time around Miatas now that i'm racing one, that is a car that holds its value. Seriously, i bought a 2001 and there were several cars, both (much) older and newer not far off that price. You can buy a nice one for $6-8k and they just seem to always be worth about that much haha, even the more extreme ones only fall off to about $4k or so.

Gonna have to disagree based on what low balls I got when I had mine up for sale.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
As a child in the '60's the family drove past the GM plant in N. STL on Union Blvd. on our way to church every Sunday. I remember seeing the dozens upon dozens of finished Corvettes parked outside in a big lot with a 10' barbed wire fence surrounding. For about $6,xxx you could buy a '67 427 4-speed. I mentioned to my dad as we passed by, you should buy one. His reply, we aren't rich. Oh, to have paid 6-grand back then... keep it in great shape, low miles original your looking at probably 6-figures today.

If you invested that $6000 into something that tracked the S&P 500 at the same time you would have over $600,000.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Buick Grand National
GMC Syclone

However, auto trans only, but these will hold their value.

either of these in the $10k range will be a high mileage money pit that needs a good amount of work. The clean Gns go for $15-20k and up these days.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
03-04 Mach 1
99-04 F body
Or, for something different, an early-mid 2000s Silverado single cab with the 6.0. Not sure what years you could find one for, but I had a couple friends in high school/college with one and always liked the concept.

If you invested that $6000 into something that tracked the S&P 500 at the same time you would have over $600,000.

Yes, but, you woulda enjoyed the Vette more than numbers on paper for the past 50 years...;-)

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Isn't this thread a bit of an oxymoron?

Find me a car that holds its value, but I'm only willing to pay (relatively) little for it? Meaning you're looking at a higher mileage example most likely.

A well-kept fox body is always a safe bet. But boring as hell if you ask me. You can probably get a used c5 vette with high miles for cheap. Parts are plenty, and it's a corvette. Vettes in general hold their value except mid 80's versions.

I'm a bit sour on jeeps. We had a '99 wrangler that was a piece of shit. Everything rusted on it. All the wheel bearings went at 28k miles. All kinds of other mechanical issues. We got rid of it with 50k miles

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread