? on idle

Tim Lester

Established Member
I picket up my 03 about 2 weeks ago and idle seems low about 600 to 650 is this normal?

Tim

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Mine is between 650-675. Didn't change when I added the chip either. This is the normal range as far as I know.

Twinturbo Ranger

Established Member
Mine was 650 to and it was rough. I reset my idle and repositioned my mass air meter yesterday with great results so far. I have a smooth 750 rpm idle. I'll let you know if for some reason it changes.
Thanks Mike

Tim Lester

Established Member
Mike, What position did you put the mass air at? Mine idles a little rough to, but at 750 or so it is nice and smooth.

Thanks Tim

tampaSVT'03

Established Member
Tim, mine idles right at 700 and is smooth, have a drop in K&N and trimmed the silencer at the fenderwell opening, I have seen threads where guys that have installed open element or some cold air setups have had rough or wandering or other idle issues along with changing the clock position of the mas.

Twinturbo Ranger

Established Member
Well it was in the 9 o'clock position in stock form. It is now 11 ish. I have the stock box on still because my cold air has not made it. It actually puts the meter at 12 o'clock. Anyway to do this you will have to cut the tab on the air fliter box off so it will spin in the clamp. You then have to have everything mounted loose, and you spin the meter as far as it will go before it gets in a bind and it will be in the 11 o'clock postion. This seemed to help my idle a little but really helped some of my driveability problems. Of course this will be mute when my cold air comes in.

The idle part I corrected by resetting it. After the car was warm I used different thickness aluminum tabs under the throttle screw to see what it would do. You can tell when it is warm by disconnecting the idle bypass and the idle rpm is the same. I slowly turned the idle screw out until the desired rpm was reached (750). I plugged the idle bypass back up and it was 750 and I kicked the A/C on and it was 750. I also took it for a spin and let it sit idling for awhile and things seem to be right now. You can go to far of course and you will need to check your TPS voltage after because you want it .99 and lower. I like .98-.97 so you have some room for error. Hope this helps.
Thanks Mike

Tim Lester

Established Member
Craig, that is all that I have done. Will do a few things next year, want to get some miles on the car.

Later, Tim

Users who are viewing this thread