On the fence with what pony car to buy?

gtconv91

Ya can't fix stupid
Established Member
apparently no one has ever owned a powerstroke

My 7.3 has seen plenty of abuse (factory converter, and broken rear leaf springS) and keeps coming back for more.... (and yes i know your talking about the six leaker)

The fit and finish of the ZLwhat is disheartning even from a blue oval lover as myself. This car against a new gt500 is not even worth mentioning at this point:burn:, but i still pull for it when it comes to comparing it to something from any other country. Europe/Japan make awesome cars, but I will always pull for american products even when the "chips" are down:beer:. The carbon fiber hood insert rubbing through paint on MULTIPLE cars, the PS loss on a few, the porosity issues with the block 1 thus far (<how the hell did whomever look at this and go.... "hey, what momma dont know wont hurt her"), same car had the front end put on by what seemed like a 6yr old with plastic Home Depot tools that mommy and daddy got him from Walmart. So where is the value/quality in this +$54k car??

The car IMO should've been the Z28. Leave the BIG names for the BIG dogs. For the nameplate of ZL1 this is truly a joke that i think someone from Ford infiltrated Chevrolet, became VP of whatever just to make chevy look humiliated on the battle ground. This car's performance is sub-marginal at best for a nameplate such as this.

Once again.... if it werent for Chevy, Ford wouldnt look so good!:rockon:
Im just glad the pony wars are back and the mighty GT500 is doing the slaying!!

Last edited:

Cam

n/a
Established Member
The 1,500 mile break-in should have been a heads up that GM is concerned with the ZL1 powertrain. GM will not give any indication why such a prolonged take-it-easy period is required on the LSA other than "because we say so". There is no engineering talent left at GM after the bankruptcy; we are now starting to see the product impact due to the 08/09 collapse.

Well it's a good thing GM never had any issues with their vehicles. Every car manufacturer has issues with their products and you got a taste of it. It happens.

Exactly, no car maker is perfect. Powerstrokes are still the 3rd best diesel in a full size truck, there are plenty of year old Powerstrokes at GM and Dodge used car lots around here, they do not hold up to the type of work we have up here in northern New England. No serious operations use them for plowing.

Last edited:

mullens

Established Member
Here are the "issues" that made the guy switch to a ZL1:

"Paint issues, transmission grinding, gauge reflections on the windshield, cooling issues and poor brake performance during hard (track) driving were the main ones. What did it for me was the results of the comparison with the ZL1 which unanimously picked the ZL1 as the better car overall."

OK, except for the grinding (which hasn't been reported on the '13), where the hell is he getting this info? Cooling issues? Gauge reflections on windshield? I'd like him to name his sources...

gtconv91

Ya can't fix stupid
Established Member
OK, except for the grinding (which hasn't been reported on the '13), where the hell is he getting this info? Cooling issues? Gauge reflections on windshield? I'd like him to name his sources...

There has been one person on here that had some 2nd gear grind in a 13'. Cooling issues were from magazine, same with brakes. Guage reflection in the windshield is in another thread aruond here. Although it seemed like it just effects the taller individuals. I believe you can turn off the surrounding color of the guages if it becomes that much of a distraction.

Personally i think it was a C5 nutswinger's idea to only create discussion and controversy. Since they keep losing performance wise and their dream car is becoming plagued with quality issues. Drastic measures had to be created to decrease the likelyhood of murdered mullets, beaten wives and sold out Pabst Blue Ribbon

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Here are the "issues" that made the guy switch to a ZL1:

"Paint issues, transmission grinding, gauge reflections on the windshield, cooling issues and poor brake performance during hard (track) driving were the main ones. What did it for me was the results of the comparison with the ZL1 which unanimously picked the ZL1 as the better car overall."

Yeah, that guy sounds to me like he is just trolling.

Though, I have heard about the reflection thing from 1 person on here. Said he was pretty tall, and at his angle at night, he could see the colors of the dash cluster slightly reflecting off the windshield. Something like that. But that's the only person I've seen say it so far.

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Other than a problem with too much gas pedal- I've had no issues

Well that settles it. See, that's not an issue in the ZL1. You can press that gas pedal all you want, and you still won't go anywhere fast. :lol1:

eagle eye

Established Member
Yeah, that guy sounds to me like he is just trolling.

Though, I have heard about the reflection thing from 1 person on here. Said he was pretty tall, and at his angle at night, he could see the colors of the dash cluster slightly reflecting off the windshield. Something like that. But that's the only person I've seen say it so far.

Your absolutely right. He's just trolling. Reminds me of your typical high school mentality. Quite obvious that MULLENS suffers from Napoleon syndrome.

No one vehicle is going to "fit" every single person the same, regardless the brand. Remember, it's made for the masses.

Mxfrench

Established Member
apparently no one has ever owned a powerstroke

Many Diesel guys will agree. If you drive a Duramax better have some more head bolts around. Its easy as that to pick faults on any vehicle. Yes 6.0 Were demonized. Yet take off the egr crap and they hall butt.

The only way I would drive a ZL1 is if the had a bits and tackle holder.

germeezy1

Established Member
GM may have stretched the Caddy Platform too far to try to keep up with the Shelby and is paying the price. The ZL1 is a commuter car trying to be a muscle car, while the GT500 was purpose built to kick ass and take abuse. thumbsup:

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Did you know that the Zeta platform ZL1 , and the Sigma platform CTS-V are on two different platforms?

Matts777

Established Member
Ford is definitely NOT without quality issues!

Remember the 2V spark plugs blowing out the head? That was fun when it happened twice within a few months out of warranty, thanks to a crappy design (not enough threads in the head).

And then come to find out Ford went cheap on the alternators of the next gen (after 2004) Mustang GTs. Do a search for "check charging system Ford" in Google and see the hits that come up. Erg.

Every car has problems. With the old F-Bodies, it was the leaking T-Tops, crappy Optispark, or the power window motors (one giant door with a huge heavy piece of glass and a substandard motor).

germeezy1

Established Member
Ford is definitely NOT without quality issues!

Remember the 2V spark plugs blowing out the head? That was fun when it happened twice within a few months out of warranty, thanks to a crappy design (not enough threads in the head).

And then come to find out Ford went cheap on the alternators of the next gen (after 2004) Mustang GTs. Do a search for "check charging system Ford" in Google and see the hits that come up. Erg.

Every car has problems. With the old F-Bodies, it was the leaking T-Tops, crappy Optispark, or the power window motors (one giant door with a huge heavy piece of glass and a substandard motor).

Would you expect posters who think the ZL1 and CTS-V are on the same platform to have any idea? Some of these guys need to take off their blue tinted, and very oval glasses for a while.

mullens

Established Member
Your absolutely right. He's just trolling. Reminds me of your typical high school mentality. Quite obvious that MULLENS suffers from Napoleon syndrome.

No one vehicle is going to "fit" every single person the same, regardless the brand. Remember, it's made for the masses.

Huh? Napoleon who? Think you got the wrong guy..

Last edited:

Matts777

Established Member
Exactly germeezy1! Oh another one I forgot, after trading in the Bullitt on a gorgeous silver convertible Mustang GT, in addition to the alternator problems, come to find out it's hard to actually put GAS in the fuel tank!

Yeah you heard that right.

Google this: "can't fill gas tank ford mustang" and see for yourself.

ERG!!

Still love the car though ;). I'll just keep turning the fuel nozzle upside down :p

germeezy1

Established Member
Exactly germeezy1! Oh another one I forgot, after trading in the Bullitt on a gorgeous silver convertible Mustang GT, in addition to the alternator problems, come to find out it's hard to actually put GAS in the fuel tank!

Yeah you heard that right.

Google this: "can't fill gas tank ford mustang" and see for yourself.

ERG!!

Still love the car though ;). I'll just keep turning the fuel nozzle upside down :p

I had far more issues with my Cobra convertible than I did with my C5. Ford actually refused to fix the car correctly despite me actually working for Ford, and having a Ford warranty on the car.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I had far more issues with my Cobra convertible than I did with my C5. Ford actually refused to fix the car correctly despite me actually working for Ford, and having a Ford warranty on the car.

Was your C5 a convertible? A lot of problems can arise from convertibles. I wouldn't compare that to a hard-top.

I hear the Camaro convertibles are crap.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member

Oh great. You're back.

dom418

Established Member
Man a lot of GM haters. You guys think ford has always produced a reliable product? It wasn't until probably the 2000's that they have really tightened things down with their reliability issues and now make great cars. Growing up everyone knew what crap boxes ford made. And it wasn't until the Terminator that the Mustang was able to finally outperform the GM pony cars consistently. The LS1's used to beat our asses until 2003. Just trying to point out that ford is still far from perfect. They have issues with their GT500 with transmission grinding etc.

Yes the Camaro guys over there are so annoying but sometimes people forget they are still driving a ford. It will eventually squeak and rattle like any other domestic car.

Users who are viewing this thread