On3 Twin Install Thoughts

johnny3gears

On3 Budget Turbo Club
Established Member
Just thought I'd put my .02 cents in on this install. Wasn't super bad, but definitely could've been easier.

The driverside wastegate location is pretty terrible. Even with the spacer you will have to put a notch in your paper-thin clamp to get it to fit over the flange, but between the turbine housing and wastegate tube. After nearly 8 full days of working 14 hours a day on the install, the only thing that we couldn't do was get the wastegate clamped onto the manifold without leaking. Will have to take it to a shop to get some help with that part. The passenger side was much easier to line up and seal thanks to better design and BEEFY clamps (still not easy though, but better).

The hardware wasn't bad. Couplers looked good, t clamps were fine, all parts actually looked really nice. Had to reuse the stock manifold studs to attach the turbo to the manifolds due to spacing issues in some areas such as the bolt hole being directly above a bend. No instructions are included with the bag of hardware that was included. Just have to figure it out.

Really not very happy about the final location of the fuse box being just shoved down in front of the motor. We also had to remove the battery tray and make a battery bracket to hold it in place to get the battery leads to hook back up since they were much shorter after routing them out of the way of the passenger side manifold.

People are not kidding when they say there is NO SPACE. Oh my god there is no space.

To begin, just do yourself a favor and drop the k member and remove the motor mounts.

When tapping the oil pan, I recommend tapping the front and half way down the side both on the driver's side.

After draining the brake fluid and installing the stainless lines they provide, we were unable to bleed all the air bubbles out. Will have a shop look into that for me also when I get the exhaust leak fixed. Not saying there is anything wrong with the lines, just saying that we couldn't get it back to normal.

I've probably missed some things just ask if you have any questions.

Oh and they do not provide vacuum line to hook up your bov and wastegates, wire to extend the 02s, or a filter to cover the stock driver's side pcv opening. Go figure. I will give Greg at On3 props for his fast customer service though. Realized on day 5 that a 90 degree silicone elbow was not included and he sent me one right out in the morning the following day.

All in all, if you are not at least somewhat proficient at problem solving in a mechanical sense, decent at fabricating custom stuff, have a spare car, and have a buddhist master's patience... Don't even open the boxes. Take your car to a shop, you WILL NOT be able to install this kit.

UPDATE:

Ok so I finally have gotten the car back about a week ago and I feel like I got jobbed by the shop. I'm not going to list a name, but I am going to post pictures of the invoice I received. They were very friendly and helpful over the phone, but the ultimate number I received made me gag. Keep in mind the only leaks I had were at the wastegate to manifold connections. Does this number sound reasonable for the work performed?

PCMInv1.JPG

PCMInv2.JPG

Last edited:

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
You may want to pick up a couple up stream O2's from a F-150. They are longer and you won't have to worry about the problems some have had extending their sensors. Just a thought, glad you got it together. It was a learning experience

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Problem solving? Like the intake piping? Lol. When I get back to Texas and have access to tig welder I will be cutting some stuff on this kit for sure! Wait till that first wot run where you realize there is no traction and it makes it all worth while.

gamecock426

TwinTurbo5.0
Established Member
Well glad you were able to mostly get it together!

I wish they would just raise the price of the kit... would make it a lot easier for me to justify getting the CPR kit instead..! haha

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Well glad you were able to mostly get it together!

I wish they would just raise the price of the kit... would make it a lot easier for me to justify getting the CPR kit instead..! haha

You cannot ignore how sexy TWIN turbos are when you pop a hood. However it's all about performance and the CPR kit is strait nasty. If I ever get to baller status il go CPR.

johnny3gears

On3 Budget Turbo Club
Established Member
Problem solving? Like the intake piping? Lol. When I get back to Texas and have access to tig welder I will be cutting some stuff on this kit for sure! Wait till that first wot run where you realize there is no traction and it makes it all worth while.

Yes, problem solving. Like the battery bracket we made out of scrap, ac reroute, remembering where the 200 bolts you take off go back, getting the drivers side turbo on when the supplied bolts are too long to fit in some places, getting the bumper to fit without butchering it too much, getting all exhaust leaks out, etc. But yes you did have to help me with the cold piping lol.

Omg you know you just sat there sometimes going how the ***ing **** is this going to work haha.

johnny3gears

On3 Budget Turbo Club
Established Member
Can't wait to see how much I'm going to hate my life doing this install.

I mean I enjoy working on cars as long as I have plenty of time and can go slowly. But if you are not pretty good at this stuff, I'm telling you don't even start it man.

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
I mean I enjoy working on cars as long as I have plenty of time and can go slowly. But if you are not pretty good at this stuff, I'm telling you don't even start it man.

I'm either doing it with help of my uncle and grandpa, or I'm taking it to my buddy to have him do it since he's the guru for this job I'd assume.

johnny3gears

On3 Budget Turbo Club
Established Member
I'm either doing it with help of my uncle and grandpa, or I'm taking it to my buddy to have him do it since he's the guru for this job I'd assume.

It's good you have a backup plan. Just give yourself about four times as much as you think you'll need.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
I also do not like the way the fuse box and ECU is relocated. No real design or instructions for the relocation.

I did find that I did not need to extend the 02 sensor wires. The stock wires will stretch far enough if they are pulled high enough along the transmission tunnel.

And I'm glad I'm not the only person who has spent too much time on this install. LOL.
I figure if someone has already done a header install on these cars, the twin turbo kit install should come a little easier since dealing with the motor mounts and ex manifolds was a fairly time consuming part. (stuck studs in my case).

johnny3gears

On3 Budget Turbo Club
Established Member
Interesting... I don't think there was anyway mine were going to plug back into without being lengthened (maybe 2011s are different? ). I guess I could've tried stretching but with something that vital I didn't want to risk pulling out a wire or something. I'm almost 100% positive my driverside one wouldn't have made it though since my plug was behind the motor.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
One side fits fine... Forgot which side. I bought a Raptor O2 sensor for the other aside as its much longer.

I too spent A LOT of time on the ecu and fuse box re location. PAIN IN THE ASS.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
Interesting... I don't think there was anyway mine were going to plug back into without being lengthened (maybe 2011s are different? ). I guess I could've tried stretching but with something that vital I didn't want to risk pulling out a wire or something. I'm almost 100% positive my driverside one wouldn't have made it though since my plug was behind the motor.

Yeah it might be different on my 2011. But I had to remove the clamps (near the transmission tunnel) that were holding the wires tight on the passenger side. I had to screw down the O2 sensor in the downpipe first, then feed the wire harness down and then mate the plugs high up near the transmission tunnel. It was hard to reach :)

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I used a jba x pipe with removable cat deletes. Just plugged my o2s where the factory down stream holes where. No issues so far. Didn't want to pull that wire harness up the trans tunnel.

Users who are viewing this thread