Once Again the great tire question

ablake6620

Established Member
I am putting new shoes on the cobra. It has stock rims 17x9. The guy I bought it off of put nitro 315 35 17s. I know this is a bad choice due to tire bulge and the safety issue. I absolutely understand by the way the tires wore completely weird and wrong. It had the sra on it but I switched back to the IRS (best choice I ever made). I will be auto crossing the car probably once a month at most. But mostly drivin on the street on nice days. I'm looking for a good tire that will give me good grip noise wear and wet performance isn't a huge issue but would be nice. I'm sticking with stock rim size. I am putting down in the ball park of 450 at the wheels. And straight line is not a big concern I do not launch my car I am a corners guy. I
Looking at the toyo r888s good choice? Other choices include eagle f1 fallen ffk452. Im really running blind. Here some advice would be very helpful. Also suspension set ups for autocross would be helpful if anyone has experience in this area

Teej281

Established Member
Nitto NT05's are fantastic tires for what you want to do with the car! Look into those. R888's are great tires, but I would only ever use them in the dry. They are the racing man's rain slicks, but thats because they are as close to a slick as you want to get for rain use. I had the NT05's on my car and they hooked well and cornered very well. They will run you $150/tire, which is not terrible at all! Also, the Nitto NT555RII is a great tire for your application, if you are willing to give up a little bit of wet performance. Its essentially a road race/auto-x version of the nitto drag radial with the same tread compound. Those are around $177/tire.

All prices I found on Discounttiredirect.com, just FYI. Good luck with the search.

va boy

Established Member
Another vote for NT05's. I've put around 2000 miles on them. Hook well, after first, it's still useless, and they do well in the rain.

ablake6620

Established Member
Ok so the nt05s are a good all arounder rain included. I got bald 315 DRs on the back (nitto) And the chance of coming home after driving in the rain is a 50/50 shot haha. So they guy before me Put nitto 255s zr rated on the front so Im gonna bump em up to the stock 275. If I'm running stock size rims what's the best tire size to run. I was thinking back to stock (275/40) any better suggestions ? The nt 05s look good the other ones I like are thefalken 615s. In put on tire size? Again I'm not going to the drG striP I am doing aggressive street and auto x

Teej281

Established Member
I'd go 275/40-18 on all 4 corners to give it a more balanced feel. And I'd stick with the NT05's. You'll get the same performance from them as the Falkens and I believe the Nitto's are cheaper.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
You need to take a look at the wear number on all of your choices.

You will notice that all the R-compound stuff is around 100, these are going to hook the best but withing a short period of time will not have much tread left.
They will start out being good in the rain but they are only going to last about 7 or 8 thousand miles depending on the driver.

Next up are the legitimate street radials, with a full strength street radial carcass and deeper starting tread depth.
These are known as Extreme Performance Summer ONLY radials, this is what I run on the street. The range of wear numbers is wider than I'm going to list here but if you stay within this grouping of wear numbers you will have relatively good grip and semi reasonable wear which means they will stay good in the rain longer.
Within this group try to stick with a 170-220 rating and you should like what you get. They will be less grip the a drag radial which is basically the same grip as an R compound.

Above that range of wear number are tires for people who have to drive this car to work every day and need tires that last longer, you will not enjoy the grip or the car running stones on it, but you also may not want to run Rs unless you don't mind buying tires every year.

Some tires I like for street use on Terminators under 500rwhp:
Falken 615-K 275/40R17 Falken Azenis RT 615K - Discounttires.com has the lowest prices on tires and wheels, all name brands, and a huge inventory. In most cases, shipping is one to two days guaranteed.
Kumho XS Kumho Ecsta XS
Nitto NT-05 http://discounttires.com/product_de...ZjMyMWRlMWIwZjJlNTNlMTZjMWE=&prodID=6697&t=GS

If you find some other brand tires in this category(Yoko, Mich, Goodyear,Dunlop, etc) look at the wear number if they fall in that range I gave you, the hook and life will be pretty good.

Last edited:

ablake6620

Established Member
Hey thank you very much. I was actually leaning toward the falken so after reading that I'm sold. I am going to look into the wear number I never got into tires to that level and would like to. I will post how they feel I am going to order them tomorrow. Am I gonna have traction trouble with the stock tire size?

FrankeSVT

Enthusiast
Established Member
Love my NT05's, only complaint is that the tread life is very short. Good wet and dry performance and they look to be exactly what you are after.

Users who are viewing this thread