One more power mod....but which one?

frodaddyweez

Established Member
Howdy guys.

Got my 2011 SVTPP last year May and have been enjoying the hell out of it. It was my daily until this past summer when i finally got something more gas efficient to drive to and from work. I still take it out on the weekends as much as i can and when the weather permits. I still want to take it to the track eventually but not in a rush.

Current mods:
2.3 Trinity TVS w/2.4"
JLT 123mm intake
CJ 65mm throttle body
56# injectors (i have a set of 72# injectors sitting on the work bench for when i need them)
O/R H pipe
AFCO Dual Pass H/E

I'm going to get stickier tires, probably NT05R, next year and stronger driveshaft with some tax return money. But this question is geared towards later in the year when i inevitably get used to this power.

I originally was thinking of getting a whipple 2.9 and calling it a day, but i'm trying to keep it under $2k. One of the three mods i'm now debating between would all seem to add about 30-40whp:

Headers
Cams
VMP GenII

Trying to weigh the pros and cons between the three. The only one i'd probably install myself with be the VMP TVS. The other two I'd have a shop do. I was leaning towards headers, since it would lower boost and sound amazing. But cams sound that much more amazingerer and i think they lower boost as well. I'm hesitant with the cams since they aren't technically easily bolted on.

Any input from y'all would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Your 72s

ATI 10%

VMP Fuel pump booster.

Done.

ATI and VMP Booster on sale effective next Wed.

Headers will get you 20-25 over your OR/X

Cams good for 50+ (we have great ones at vmptuning.com)

GEN II....while we'd appreciate it, you'll be better off with my thoughts above.

bj

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Headers in my opinion, 35 rwhp, helps your car breathe better and lowers boost which is always a good thing.

I'd say cams if the install wasn't so expensive

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

Howdy guys.

Got my 2011 SVTPP last year May and have been enjoying the hell out of it. It was my daily until this past summer when i finally got something more gas efficient to drive to and from work. I still take it out on the weekends as much as i can and when the weather permits. I still want to take it to the track eventually but not in a rush.

Current mods:
2.3 Trinity TVS w/2.4"
JLT 123mm intake
CJ 65mm throttle body
56# injectors (i have a set of 72# injectors sitting on the work bench for when i need them)
O/R H pipe
AFCO Dual Pass H/E

I'm going to get stickier tires, probably NT05R, next year and stronger driveshaft with some tax return money. But this question is geared towards later in the year when i inevitably get used to this power.

I originally was thinking of getting a whipple 2.9 and calling it a day, but i'm trying to keep it under $2k. One of the three mods i'm now debating between would all seem to add about 30-40whp:

Headers
Cams
VMP GenII

Trying to weigh the pros and cons between the three. The only one i'd probably install myself with be the VMP TVS. The other two I'd have a shop do. I was leaning towards headers, since it would lower boost and sound amazing. But cams sound that much more amazingerer and i think they lower boost as well. I'm hesitant with the cams since they aren't technically easily bolted on.

Any input from y'all would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

American Racing 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers with Off Road H or X pipe and no additional tuning required. When you relocate your commanded wide band front O2 sensors the PCM automatically adjusts for collector scavenging and it's worth the time, effort and labor to do it!!

Van

tvspower

Established Member
Hey guys I thought I read somewhere that headers were not that big a necessity if we were running under 700 rwhp. I know the cooling effect and increase of some hp, but for the cost and pita installation, they were not that necessary.... Am I wrong???

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Technically you don't need anything, it's more a matter of want. Do you need a lower pulley? No, do you need headers? No. They will be cheaper than cams and better for your car than an overdrive lower pulley. When you put the overdrive pulley then you'll probably want headers to bring the boost back down.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
American Racing 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers with Off Road H or X pipe and no additional tuning required. When you relocate your commanded wide band front O2 sensors the PCM automatically adjusts for collector scavenging and it's worth the time, effort and labor to do it!!

Van

Black Friday is coming up! Any deals on them?

frodaddyweez

Established Member
Wow thanks for all quick replies!

Yeah i was kinda leaning towards the headers, mainly to drop boost some. I'm not sure where i'm at right now with boost, but i think i'm pushing stock limits with the 2.4" pulley and TB.

I didn't think about alot of people still having cats before swapping over to headers. Me being catless already might not translate into as much of a gain as others get when doing headers like BJ mentioned.

I could attempt to do it myself. I've done more without a lift haha. Anyone know how headers would sound with catless H and some Flowmaster Outlaw axlebacks? I already get alot of compliments on my current exhaust. It is pretty loud, but i don't drive it at odd hours so it hasn't annoyed the neighbors yet.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Very loud, similar to this

th_IMG_0158_zps33ti20ek.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread