One of the worst tickets ive gotten!!

bullitt5508

Established Member
Alrite well i had a long week of school and was heading home to San Antonio from Houston. Anyway im cruising about 60ish and keep in mind my speedo is off about 7-8 mph fast so i ease by a cop going about the same speed as him rite next to him maybe half a car infront of him and the guy gets behind me and pulls me over!!! I thought it would just be a routine check but he appearantly clocked me at 68 ina friggin 60!! *edited by moderator* he asked me "DO you know how to read a radar?" then asked me if i went to "Radar school" My question is are they allowed to not let me see how fast i was going?? Because ive had tickets before and they let me see the radar!! Any help would be aprreciated! Thanks guys
Chad

Colvin03SonicBl

Gotta Luv'em Snakes!!
Established Member
1) They don't have to let you see the radar, atleast in NY...
2) YOU WERE PASSING A COP AND KNOWING YOU WERE SPEEDING...not a good idea as you can tell...

Last edited:

soon2be03

Established Member
bullitt5508 said:
Alrite well i had a long week of school and was heading home to San Antonio from Houston. Anyway im cruising about 60ish and keep in mind my speedo is off about 7-8 mph fast so i ease by a cop going about the same speed as him rite next to him maybe half a car infront of him and the guy gets behind me and pulls me over!!! I thought it would just be a routine check but he appearantly clocked me at 68 ina friggin 60!! the ahooole wouldnt even let me look at the damn radar either!! he asked me "DO you know how to read a radar?" then asked me if i went to "Radar school" My question is are they allowed to not let me see how fast i was going?? Because ive had tickets before and they let me see the radar!! Any help would be aprreciated! Thanks guys
Chad

I think the question is WHY would he let YOU see the radar? There are a lot of misconceptions about you able to see the radar. First, I dont know Kansas Law but I have NEVER ever heard of a police officer letting anybody see the radar, even when I was with them during our ride alongs. I know that where I live the officer doesNOT have to allow you to see it. Seveal reasons for this, One, he just doesnt have to. Two, it is a risk to the officer. Three, it a risk to you. Four, He is a sworn in offical and believe it or not, like it or not, the word he has is up held by the court. Why do you think when an officer comes to court when the case is a year old the Judge will still allow him/her to talk? Because it is his duty to uphold the law and there are many cases that the officer will have to use his word agaisnt yours. Also another reason he wont let you see the radar is it isnt a gun anymore, he cant just take it to you and say here ya go. A lot of people think that the officers cars are still the old big radar "gun". Not anymore. The stuff I was trained on in School was "rolling" radar. It isnt a gun, infact it is a little octagon/circle shaped ordeal that is right to the left of my wheel, or right of the rear view. There is a little dash deck that lets me lock on, run front/rear radar etc. So if you wanted to see it, you would have to be removed from the vehicle, come back to the car and then have a look in side. Not something most officers are willing to let you do for there safty and yours.

Not to try and sound down or anything, just trying to explain why I THINK that happend. There is a lot of difference between civilian and military/DOD police. I'm sure there will be a lot better advise from a lot more people who know WAAAAAAAAYY more than me. Good luck.

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
Big NO-NO to go PAST the cop. I deliberatley stay behind them. And if they want to tail me, they do it in the right lane when I'm going nice and slow.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
The officer does not have to let you see it period! Nor, is there a law or case law that says he has to. By the way, there are many ways to check someones speed without the use of radar. Wonder if there was a little attitude involved here?
Don't ever pass a patrol unit who is doing the speed limit, that is a guaranteed stop for me!

kwwhite1

Established Member
i use LIDAR and i allways show them the speed and distance but definately dont have to. I just do it to minimize my time in traffic court.

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
Ya in VA we use to have to show LIDAR...but they just re-wrote the law and it says we don't anymore. I still do for the same reason as Kwwhite.

bullitt5508

Established Member
alrite thanks everyone i heard from a couple texas popos that you have they dont have to show u the radar i guess ill jus pay the fine! thanks everyone

lizardbreath

Banned
Why would you ever pass a cop? I just slow down and stay behind them and most definitely MAINTAIN THE SPEED LIMIT when you are near them. That is a definite no brainer.

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
Well, sometimes they are going less than the speed limit and if you do the same, I'm sure that will make them suspect something. So whenever I'm coming up on a cop and I'm doing the speed limit, I will just maintain it. There is a reason why he's going slower than the speed limit.

oldmodman

Established Member
DanTheCobraMan said:
Well, sometimes they are going less than the speed limit and if you do the same, I'm sure that will make them suspect something. So whenever I'm coming up on a cop and I'm doing the speed limit, I will just maintain it. There is a reason why he's going slower than the speed limit.

Yep.

But I hope your speedo is accurate:D

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
Ya, and actually mine is a bit off due to the T56. We have a school down the street with a radar speed sign. It seems my speedo is exactly 5mph too fast. So I also keep that in mind. But I must admit I freak out every time until I remember I'm 5mph slower than the reading.

1FastZ06

Banned
you could try saying you didnt know your speedo was off, put your car in the shop get it calibrated right maybe get a written reciept saying it was off and what mph and bring it to court.. It's worth a try.

bullitt5508

Established Member
1FastZ06 said:
you could try saying you didnt know your speedo was off, put your car in the shop get it calibrated right maybe get a written reciept saying it was off and what mph and bring it to court.. It's worth a try.

ima go w. what you said man... worth a shot

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
bullitt5508 said:
ima go w. what you said man... worth a shot

hey man, im not a LEO, but i did do speedo calibrations, so i guess i could give you a little advise on this matter.

first off, do you have any transmission, or other drivetrain mods, that would throw the speedo off?

all these new cars have electronic speedo's, and out of the probably 120+ "calibrations" ive done, ive never had ONE car be off that had a electronic speedo sensor. unless they had drivetrain mods. alot of them however would show that you are going faster than you really are for instance, when speedo reads 62, your traveling 60. which some manufacturers put in there to give you some cushion. but the last thing you would want to do it take that to court, becuase they will only tack on another X MPH for whatever your speedo is off.

speedo calibrations also typically go for $100+. so my advice would to be either use your GPS, or if you dont have one, borrow a friends, and see if it actually is off. if this is the case, then spend the money for a shop to test it, to give you a printout. otherwise, just put the $$ towards paying the ticket.

if you know somebody well at a shop, they can write you a work order, saying your car is off enoughto get you completely out of the ticket. that is what i do for all of my friends, ive gotten them out of 100+ MPH speeding with intent to kill.

also, do you have a tuner? if you do, set your rear gear ratio down to whatever the lowest you can set it at is, that will get the speedo off enough, in the right direction, and get you out of it.

good luck anyhow.

bullitt5508

Established Member
RedneckBMXer24 said:
hey man, im not a LEO, but i did do speedo calibrations, so i guess i could give you a little advise on this matter.

first off, do you have any transmission, or other drivetrain mods, that would throw the speedo off?

all these new cars have electronic speedo's, and out of the probably 120+ "calibrations" ive done, ive never had ONE car be off that had a electronic speedo sensor. unless they had drivetrain mods. alot of them however would show that you are going faster than you really are for instance, when speedo reads 62, your traveling 60. which some manufacturers put in there to give you some cushion. but the last thing you would want to do it take that to court, becuase they will only tack on another X MPH for whatever your speedo is off.

speedo calibrations also typically go for $100+. so my advice would to be either use your GPS, or if you dont have one, borrow a friends, and see if it actually is off. if this is the case, then spend the money for a shop to test it, to give you a printout. otherwise, just put the $$ towards paying the ticket.

if you know somebody well at a shop, they can write you a work order, saying your car is off enoughto get you completely out of the ticket. that is what i do for all of my friends, ive gotten them out of 100+ MPH speeding with intent to kill.

also, do you have a tuner? if you do, set your rear gear ratio down to whatever the lowest you can set it at is, that will get the speedo off enough, in the right direction, and get you out of it.

good luck anyhow.

Yes I do have a diablo predator tuner and it was set at 3.73s which are what gears i have. Kinda weird rite my speedo being off? well i asked a couple people n they said to check under my shift boot for a speed-cal and sure enough there was one there. So i had a predator set at 3.73's along w. the speed-cal. i guess thast what threw off my speedo!!!! :bash:

Users who are viewing this thread