Only my second time drag racing. Good news and bad.

FastazzL

Hot Potato Handler
Established Member
Well, last night was only my second time drag racing and things went pretty well. First time I was stock with no weight reduction (bed cover, tailgate, and tow package) and without traction bars. This time, with less weight and the traction bars, I dropped 3 tenths off my time. :rockon: I was pretty happy about that but my best time was still only a 14.259 @ 95.8. :( I am not breaking loose at all and I'm launching at 1500. Should it be at higher RPM's? I'm just looking for some tips to help get into the 13's. My truck is a stock 99 except for the traction bars. Thanks.

AJ

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
launch from idle and roll into it.

What's your altitude?

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
If your not spinning the tires, launch harder!

I would suggest putting one foot on the brake, and one on the gas. Keep bringing the launch rpm's up untill you spin the tires on the launch. I found that the best times I get is when the tires brake traction for a rotation or two and then hook in. If you go up in smoke, back it down or don't get on the gas so hard.

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
FastazzL said:
Well, last night was only my second time drag racing and things went pretty well. First time I was stock with no weight reduction (bed cover, tailgate, and tow package) and without traction bars. This time, with less weight and the traction bars, I dropped 3 tenths off my time. :rockon: I was pretty happy about that but my best time was still only a 14.259 @ 95.8. :( I am not breaking loose at all and I'm launching at 1500. Should it be at higher RPM's? I'm just looking for some tips to help get into the 13's. My truck is a stock 99 except for the traction bars. Thanks.

AJ

what were your '60 foot times????

FastazzL

Hot Potato Handler
Established Member
blownsvtlightning said:
what were your '60 foot times????

I have heard that for every tenth you drop in the 60' area, it equals about 2 tenths in the quarter. Is this true?

SVT2NV

Established Member
Yes, thats what I've heard. I have a 00 L w/ Predator and CAI. Another L was running the same stuff. He had 13.5 @ 101 w/ 1.9 60' and I had 13.9 @ 101 w/ 2.26 <--only run and straight of the highway...I was late. So I think that works.

jakhammer

Established Member
i had the same problem with my truck. could not get out of the 14s. went back to the track and a slightly cooler day (60degrees) and still 14s. Meet up with HighRoller from the Terminator section and one of his friends. They gave me some tips.
1. If you go through the burnout box, you need to let the F1s burn untill you see some smoke (just enough to see in the side mirror), then let off the brake and keep on the gas till it hooks up. This will get all of the water off the tires and get a good launch.
2. try to drive around the burn out box. if you want to burnout, back into the box. Reason for this is that if you drive though it, your front tires will pick up water and then lay it back down on the track. Then your back tires go though it. Not prime traction conditions.
3. (this is what I always have done) Drop the air pressure in your rear tires. I run 27Lbs in my rears. It helps me for some reason.
4. Try to find a launch RPM where you get a hint of wheel spin then hook. for me it was 1700 or so RPM.

doing all the above and just getting to know how the truck reacted to the track and I reacted to the truck, I went from a 14.3 to a 13.6 and 60 foot went from 2.1 to 1.9 on my stock 01. mph went up from 98.2 to 99.4.

Chris

Last edited:

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
FastazzL said:

I have heard that for every tenth you drop in the 60' area, it equals about 2 tenths in the quarter. Is this true?
Every tenth you drop off the 60 is a tenth you will drop off your E.T.
so if you drop 2 tenths off your 60 you will drop 2 tenths off your E.T.

Bootbox

Established Member
Naw man, every tenth you drop off your 60' is good for 2 tenths on the other end. I've proven it over and over on my own runs.

Users who are viewing this thread