Oops... When Two British Ships Meet

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
"Two British minesweepers collided while alongside at Bahrain on Thursday, video footage and the Ministry of Defence confirms, with level of damage observed suggesting ships may be out of action for some time."

Source:

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Spent 4 trips of 3 years on that pier...it happens a good bit. Had some scary times....one being going DIW in a channel while a HUGE ship is headed right at us. I could almost touch the ship from ours. Another time a tug ripped 6 stations out of the deck as it went down our side....ouch.

That pier looks really nice to be the Bahrain Naval Pier....it was a shithole.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Spent 4 trips of 3 years on that pier...it happens a good bit. Had some scary times....one being going DIW in a channel while a HUGE ship is headed right at us. I could almost touch the ship from ours. Another time a tug ripped 6 stations out of the deck as it went down our side....ouch.

Sorry, but I fail to understand how this could happen, even at the busiest of docks.

It's like downtown NYC, except with ships?

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
“Sorry old chap.”
We had a British diver come over and help us one time while over there. We somehow got line wrapped up in our props. We didn’t have a diver but they did. Their RHIB hits our boat and the Britt goes, “no worries mate it’s just wood”. We found it to be hilarious. One of our guys would repeat often the line in his best British Accent.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Sorry, but I fail to understand how this could happen, even at the busiest of docks.

It's like downtown NYC, except with ships?
Most of the Commanding Officers of these “small boys” are just out of being Junior Officers. In top of that 9 times out of 10 it is one of their junior officers running the evolution for training. I stood BMOW on the Bridge for like a 100 of these evolutions. I can’t tell you how many times the CO had to jump in and save the day. But could go DIW while leaving or coming back into port and dropping the anchor won’t help. At one point it was mandated to use a tug tied up to us while leaving or coming. No idea what happened here, I’ll read the article later.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Here's a video for a little understanding of our ships...I've been on both several times. Worked on the SONAR, navigation, worked on deck, worked in CIC, ran many Armories having been the small arms instructor as well as Crew Serve Weapons Instructor. Mineman are the jack of all trades on these ships, no doubt.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member

Were you there the night the 688 ran into a parked container ship near the bell? I wanna say it was the Philly.

I was on watch at 5th flt and got thr call...i was oh boy...shit is about to get sporty...me: "hey OOD...you wanna wake the boss at this hour or shall I Sir?)...lol

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Were you there the night the 688 ran into a parked container ship near the bell? I wanna say it was the Philly.

I was on watch at 5th flt and got thr call...i was oh boy...shit is about to get sporty...me: "hey OOD...you wanna wake the boss at this hour or shall I Sir?)...lol
Doesn’t sound familiar….guess it was while I was on shore duty or on station in the states.

Users who are viewing this thread