Open injectoer

klb2sweet

Established Member
What are the characteristics of an open injector? I just had ID1000's installed with a new supercharger and the car putters at low speeds. I will try to give it gas and it putters until a certain RPM and then it goes. Normal slow driving it putters but seems to have poer at high RPMs

SirShaun

Established Member
My car does the same when it is cold. I do not notice it when the car is up to operating temperature. Tune revision could fix a lot of it for you, probably.

I think it comes with the territory of big power/big injectors, a minimal loss of "driveability".

In Open Loop your car is guessing.

Open Loop

When the engine is first started the system goes into open loop operation. In open loop, the ECM calculates the Air/Fuel ratio based on inputs from the coolant and MAF sensors. The system remains in open-loop until the following three conditions are met:

Coolant temperature above 105°F.
Oxygen sensor has varying output voltage (indicating it is hot enough to operate properly).
A specific amount of time (preprogrammed into the MEM-CAL) has elapsed.

Closed Loop

When all of the above conditions are met, the system goes into closed loop operation. In this mode, the ECM calculates the Air/Fuel ratio based, mainly, on input from the oxygen sensor and maintains the Air/Fuel ratio at the desired 14.7 to 1.

Last edited:

klb2sweet

Established Member
SirShaun, thanks for the info. My car seems to run good when I start it up and let it run for 5-6 minutes to warm it up and then drive it around. But as soon as I shut if off and go into a store, come back out and drive it immediately starts to putter.

klb2sweet

Established Member
The tuner told me the same thing you did with bigger injectors-power comes a loss in driveability so I understand that but the puttering after I restart the car makes no sense to me.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I had an open injector on another car. Trust me you would know if it was locked open in about 5s. You would have a flood of gasoline, then a possible fire.

scotsam

Established Member
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, United States
I would have your tuner check it. I have 72lb injectors which are moded stock injectors and my car runs smooth cold or hot no matter what. Id1000 injectors are supposed to be all that! I am wanting to get a set but waiting for the next big mod when I really need them.

Last edited:

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
I would have your tuner check it. I have 72lb injectors which are moded stock injectors and my car runs smooth cold or hot no matter what. Id1000 injectors are supposed to be all that! I am wanting to get a set but waiting for the next big mod when I really need them.

I'm also running modified 72lbers from Van. I've been very happy with them. I have been advised that I should change them out to ID1000s based on past reliability issues with the 72s. I'm getting a little hesitant since this is now the second thread in about a week with ID1000 issues. This one has yet to be verified by the tuner, but the other was verified by the tuner as being defective.

I'm wondering if others have had issues with these.

What I like about the modded stockers is they have 6 outlet holes versus 1 hole on every other injector out there to my knowledge, including the ID1000s. I've also read that the ID1000s may actually be over rated in that they don't use the industry standard fluid and use actual gas. If this is true, they may actually be equivalent to other manufacturers 85 and 90 pound injectors.

I know they are popular for use with E85, but I'm wondering if Ford Racing 80lbers would be the better choice, and less than half the price.

Would love to hear from others on this.

Last edited:

klb2sweet

Established Member
I'm going back to Pro Dyno on the 21st of this month to have 72s installed and a re-tune. I'm going to call ID in regards to the injectors and see if they can bench check them for any deficiencies.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
I run ID 725 and I am quite happy with them . I do not plan on adding more then the 700rwhp I have now so they are good to go. If you are going to E85 then you will need larger ones.

deepblue13

Established Member
I have the same issue with my ID1000 if the car is cold. I just make sure it is up to normal operating temp before pulling out in front of traffic :)

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
granted it hasnt actually been very cold outside for me with the ID1000s but I have zero issues @ startup w/ ID1000s. Sounds like the tune needs further adjustment IMHO

klb2sweet

Established Member
Well I talked with Injector Dynamics and they think the system has been contaminated maybe by water. How I don't know but he told me to send them in and they will test them. If one or more are bad they will replace each of them for free. However, if they need to be cleaned and serviced then it's 25 each injector. My problem is that the car ran fine before the injector swap and has run like crap ever since. I maybe put one tank of gas in the car because it's been back and forth to the tuner only. Hell one time I had to trailer the car because it wouldn't run properly.

klb2sweet

Established Member
Is it ok to use an additive to remove possible contaminates from the gas tank like stabil?

slowbra1

Established Member
Well I talked with Injector Dynamics and they think the system has been contaminated maybe by water. How I don't know but he told me to send them in and they will test them. If one or more are bad they will replace each of them for free. However, if they need to be cleaned and serviced then it's 25 each injector. My problem is that the car ran fine before the injector swap and has run like crap ever since. I maybe put one tank of gas in the car because it's been back and forth to the tuner only. Hell one time I had to trailer the car because it wouldn't run properly.

Buy Isopropyl Alcohol 99% -91% pour it in the tank, it will get the water out if you have water.

Make sure your tune is correct for the ID1000's.

I never have had an issue with my injectors.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Don't know if this will help but i had the same issue when i swapped over to my trinity tvs, Bosch 72lb, jlt 127mm and vmp tune. Did you swap anything else at the same time? Data logging and re tunes made it a little better but annoying still like hitting the gas twice a partial throttle, wot was fine. Fast forward to a whipple 2.9 and whipple intake. Driveability was perfect on those shitty injectors as the vendors say now. A few years ago bosch 72lb and ford racing 80lb were in every kit. Now with the outrageous prices of ID's it's all they want to sell you on even though the others work fine. I'm convinced it was the intake or my tune but it sucked having it drive that way.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I would bet money it's not the injectors, who did the tune and what other mods were added at the same time?

klb2sweet

Established Member
Pro Dyno is the tuner and the car ran perfect with the stock supercharger plus power adders(2.5 upper, 10% lower, headers, 67mm TB, 123 CAI). I started to have problems immediately when I added the new supercharger- fuel rails- boost a pump and ID 1000s.

klb2sweet

Established Member
Should I put the entire bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol in the tank and will this hurt the car?

Users who are viewing this thread