open track engine choices

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
looking for some insight here-and opinions based on hp/tq and rev/reliable. so out of the following choices which would you prefer for an open track car- not street per say.

1: procharged modular high rev
2: pushrod small block
3: pushrod big block
4: any model of LS motors
5: coyote N/A
just thinking of future projects and wanting to get my ducks in a row

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I would also opt for the LSx, but would want to stress that if you plan to pull lots of high G turns, you will also want to run an Accusump.

MGC

Established Member
Obviously N/A is the way to go so #1 is out, I prefer pushrod for ease of working on, big block is out because it's too heavy, I'd say either a LSx motor (although I know they are awesome motors I can't stand them in mustangs) or a pushrod small block, stroked to give you plenty of displacement and high compression, ideally would have a dry sump oil system. My 2 cents.

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
As already said before, no freakin way to FI and LS is the only way to go IMO.

3 of the 4 cars in my signature are LS powered.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
LSx

Small
Light
Reliable
Cheap parts
Huge aftermarket
Fix it with a hammer
Very much a proven RR powerplant

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
given your experience can you give a little more detail as to why?

Basically what GTSpartan said. The LS platform is widely used and is extremely easy to get solid, reliable power. I had to supercharge my cobra to get the same power as a lightly modified LS. Parts are plentiful as GM used them in numerous vehicles and sell it as a crate motor. If you open up the November issue of Grassroots Motorsports (Ultimate Track Car Challenge), you will see of the top 5 cars, 3 of them (1st, 2nd, & 5th) are all LS powered.

Time to fix up that Bimmer.

Greg - The bimmer won't ever get that much love. She is abused and then made to stay in the garage until I want to beat on her again... although I was feeling nice last week and took her off the trailer to wash her (only because of a recent off road excursion at NCCAR):-D

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
1: procharged modular high rev Hi maintenance
2: pushrod small block Parts are cheap enough. Can make great power. This would be my choice out of the choices
3: pushrod big block too heavy
4: any model of LS motors Power comes easy.
5: coyote N/A $$$$$$
just thinking of future projects and wanting to get my ducks in a row

Why not a mildly built C headed, cammed, Teksid block mod motor? It would cost just as much, probably cheaper to do any of the other swaps listed above. Just my $.02.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I am a dedicated Ford guy. I would say a 331 stroker.

No special machining of the block
parts are cheap and everywhere
lots of AI and CMC guys at every event to lend a hand when needed

If you are willing to take on an additional 50lbs, and spend a little more $, 408 stroker.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
If we are talking mustangs,

The 331 is probably your best bang for the buck option. You can get parts pretty cheap and it will drop right in,

Going LS is probably your best overall option, but it will cost more just because of all the swap parts, correct accessories, oil pan, etc. You can get an alumnium 5.3 truck engine pretty cheap, but you have to change everything on it to make it work in a car.

BlackStripes

Established Member
I am surprised too see so many answers leaning towards the LS. New for New, I can't see going LSX will be a lot cheaper than going Coyote if at all. Coyote is bigger but lighter, aftermarket will be huge... just sayin' :)

SVTPete83

Established Member
If money is not an object go coyote! That would be badass!! If not I like the 331 or 408 option. I would never ruin a mustang with a Chevy motor. It's just sacrilege in my head!

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
I am surprised too see so many answers leaning towards the LS. New for New, I can't see going LSX will be a lot cheaper than going Coyote if at all. Coyote is bigger but lighter, aftermarket will be huge... just sayin' :)

You forgot expensive, and upgrading it will be more than the LS1 and way more than the SBF. You can build a nice 420 HP SBF engine that will live a long time for well under $4k (especially if you buy some parts used).

The price for an LS will vary as you can buy a take out and modify it or start from scratch. I bought an LS1 with spun rod bearings and it came ECU, harness and the intake and oil pan I needed. I rebuilt it for track use and have about $4k into it total, and that was finding deals on parts along the way. It is overkill but it is bulletproof. On top of that is new accessories, a starter, all new sensors, an accusump, and other odds and ends, and you are talking around $5k.

Don't get me wrong the Coyote is a nice engine, but if you a building a track car it is probably not the best choice.

The coyote is not really any lighter than a SBF or a LSX with an alumnium block. They are all about 450 lbs.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
You forgot expensive, and upgrading it will be more than the LS1 and way more than the SBF. You can build a nice 420 HP SBF engine that will live a long time for well under $4k (especially if you buy some parts used).

The price for an LS will vary as you can buy a take out and modify it or start from scratch. I bought an LS1 with spun rod bearings and it came ECU, harness and the intake and oil pan I needed. I rebuilt it for track use and have about $4k into it total, and that was finding deals on parts along the way. It is overkill but it is bulletproof. On top of that is new accessories, a starter, all new sensors, an accusump, and other odds and ends, and you are talking around $5k.

Don't get me wrong the Coyote is a nice engine, but if you a building a track car it is probably not the best choice.

The coyote is not really any lighter than a SBF or a LSX with an alumnium block. They are all about 450 lbs.

A Boss 302 Coyote is one pound per horse power and given a little more time will be showing up in a junk yard near you (or better yet me!) along with take out harness and module.

444 pounds 444 horses, anyone want to buy a complete very healthy tick free 720 pounds (wet)Whipple Terminator engine?
I would love a near 300 pound weight reduction off the nose of this thing and would gladly take the less than 100 horse power reduction and less heat.
The power steering and alternator brackets are already available in the aftermarket.

Y'all can jes keep dem Chebbies, I keep my toys Ford powered.:p

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Another Coyote voter here.

Might be more money up front but it will be dead nuts OEM reliable, make 400+rwhp no problem and spin upwards of 7500rpm.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
A Boss 302 Coyote is one pound per horse power and given a little more time will be showing up in a junk yard near you (or better yet me!) along with take out harness and module.

444 pounds 444 horses, anyone want to buy a complete very healthy tick free 720 pounds (wet)Whipple Terminator engine?
I would love a near 300 pound weight reduction off the nose of this thing and would gladly take the less than 100 horse power reduction and less heat.
The power steering and alternator brackets are already available in the aftermarket.

Y'all can jes keep dem Chebbies, I keep my toys Ford powered.:p

Thats fine, but don't come crying to me when you want to do heads and cam(s) because you are getting forcibly passed out there :)

Users who are viewing this thread