open track guys, front wheel bearing failure?

Tobias

Established Member
Hi guys, I am new to the open track addiction and I wanted to ask have any of you had any front wheel bearing failures on the 99 & up mustangs?

I bought my car used (7100miles) from a guy who tracked the car unmodified and I have gone to one weekend of racing. When I put the car on the alignment rack today, both front wheel berrings were loose. Just a klunk while driving, no growl. Anyone else notice premature wear? Thanks!

Juruense

Banned
Yes, I had to replace them on both sides of the front of my 2001 GT. Its easy and each side costs about $125 in parts.

spdfrkFL

Track Addict
Established Member
03Sandy said:
I've done 30 or so open track days with no wheel bearing problems at all.

Get ready to replace them soon! You'll start feeling a vibration in the wheel under heavy braking.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
look at posts by ShelbyGuy on this subject .... he's gone through a few bearings already

dogmush

Established Member
I installed a couple of wheel bearings on cars that didn't open track. They will definatly wear out.

Juruense

Banned
Oh yeah sorry, I did not mention I never ran my GT on any track... My problem was that for some reason the dust caps were missing so the bearings were exposed to dirt and water.

gpribble

Established Member
i have replaced my front wheel bearings at least 6 times in the last 3 years, mostly due to track days. without brake ducts i found the grease seals on the sealed bearings would actually melt from the heat the brake generated. after much needed ducting, bearings have been ok so far this year. look for grease on the inside of your wheels, indication its time for new bearings along with the excessive freeplay in them.

ViciousJay

Established Member
i think the one on my drivers side is going or its the brakes.... it only squeals when i turn left :shrug:

spdfrkFL

Track Addict
Established Member
Gladiator said:
i think the one on my drivers side is going or its the brakes.... it only squeals when i turn left :shrug:

Usually the driver side goes first, however it could be a ball joint or brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread