Opinion on Mach's shifter

phatfunk

Established Member
I am currently doing some research as I am planning on making a used- car purchase within a few months. Lacking any first-hand experience with Mach 1's, I was curious as to what you all thought of the stock shifter. I've been fortunate enough to try out my uncle's 03 Cobra and I simply wasn't too comfortable with the actual placement of the shifter. In just about every review of the Cobra, the most resounding criticism seems to be in the awkward and remote placement of the shifter and after having driven one, I'd have to agree. Does the Mach suffer from the same lay-out/shifter? (note: an AT is NOT an option... i hate em) I know the obvious response to this question would be to go out and drive one for myself but I won't have time to go car searching/test driving for a while. (not to mention that Machs seem to be rare in good ol' import-infested NJ) and this question has simply been on my mind for quite some time now. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sapperstang

Established Member
Same as in all recent stangs. Get an aftermarket shifter and problem will be solved.

BlakHrse95

Established Member
I like the location of the handle. It is just right for me. I will be putting in a MGW after I get my Tranny TSB done, or I give up on trying to get it fixed. On a side note, that ****in handle is COLD!!!!!!!! :uh oh:

kissmyAZZure

THE BLUE BEAST
Established Member
I like the pro 5.0 w/ kona racing handle, but the MGW seems like it should be outrageous!

Where about in CJ are you. I live like 2secs from great adventure.

phatfunk

Established Member
As 34Ford pointed out, I was asking what you guys thought about the actual placement and location of the shifter, not the shifter itself.

kissmyAZZure, my folks live in North Brunswick, right by Rutgers New Brunswick. I currently am a college student so I no longer live at home. BTW... excellent times you got there in your sig. That 60' time is probably the best I've ever heard on a Mach's stock tires. I assume the 12.82 ET can be attributed more to driver competence than the three minor mods you have listed but the 109.32 trap speed is surprising from just exhaust/shifter/filter. Those numbers just make me want a Mach even more. I'm pretty much set on finding a Mach (F-bodies, SN95 Cobras, and New Edge Cobras have all been beaten out) but the question remains... what color??!! My tastes are usually exclusive to black cars, but I've seen some sharp looking azure blue and orange mach's online.

Last edited:

kissmyAZZure

THE BLUE BEAST
Established Member
I do think the shifter should have been a little further back, but it is a muscle car, so you have to deal.

Thanks for the compliments! I hate to brag, but I have actually gotten a 1.92 before:D. I am also in college (mercer community), and when you get yours we should hit the track. Have you checked out www.mach1registry.com? Everything you need to know is right there. If I could choose only one mod, it would be my x-pipe (or any mid pipe). I picked up 3-4 mph consistently after installing it.

As for color: I like black cars, but not on the mach. I have seen every color but black though. At this point I hope you aren't color-limited by the availability. My choices would go like this : AB, OW, either yellow, TR, DSG, CO, Black

Fosters

Established Member
I have a pro5.0 and while it is better than stock, i wish the handle was better. The MGW shifter looks like a much better option now IMO.

04dsg mach

Established Member
I've got the Pro 5.0 but I don't like the handle. I love the feel of the shifts nice and short and really stiff but the Pro 5.0 handle just goes basically straight up. I will be getting the Kona racing handle for Christmas which is excactly the like Tri-ax handle its just made out of titanium. Good luck on your decision.

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
Have the tri-ax myself with is far superior to the stock shifter as far as feel.:beer: The MGW seems to be the new hot one on the block you can adjust the handle better than the others.

34Ford

Established Member
I dont see how you can get the shifter back closer to you with the way the shifters today are directly intergrated into the tranny unlike the old days where the shifter is bolted to the side and uses linkages.

You could get a shifter like the hurst style with a lot of bend in it but you gain a lot of travel when you do this. And I personally like the short throw.

Fosters

Established Member
34Ford said:
I dont see how you can get the shifter back closer to you with the way the shifters today are directly intergrated into the tranny unlike the old days where the shifter is bolted to the side and uses linkages.

You could get a shifter like the hurst style with a lot of bend in it but you gain a lot of travel when you do this. And I personally like the short throw.

take a look at the MGW shifter. it does exactly that in a pretty tricky way :)

67bigblock

Established Member
My car is currently stock and I happen to have no issues with the shifter location or function. And I've had alot of mustangs old and current. However,..there is that heat issue many have spoken of.

Users who are viewing this thread