Opinion on Mach's shifter

supersnake

Banned
My .02

Yeah, it's an older thread but I have to chime in...

Moving the shifter closer to you my lengthening and angling the UPPER portion of the handle does NOT make for noticeably longer throws. It does however give you more leverage and as such you can do some serious tranny damamge by over-shifting. The 3650 tranny has internal stops to counter some of this problem and most after market shifters have adjustable stops as well to allevaite the issue. The Tri-Ax and MRT recommend that you REMOVE their stop bolts and just rely on the internal stops in the tranny. Something to do with improper adjustments causing the shifter to pop out of gear.

I use the MRT in my car, and love it. Far better than the licorice stick the car came with.

On another issue with the shifter, the aluminum ball is a PITA. Summer time I burned myself several times (no I don't learn easily). Several people have switched over to the "pool ball" shift knobs to resolve this issue.

Dunno about the shift knob in the winter, as the car hibernates up here for that season.

Fit issues.... I am 6-4 and 300#. I slip into the car just fine.
The biggest issue I have is knee space for the left leg when operating the clutch. Have turned off a left turn signal more than once when letting the clutch out.

I have driven my Mach from Minneapolis MN to Bowling Green KY and back, plus another several thousand files (around 8,000 now) and have not had a single mechanical problem. No tick.

Compared to my old 96 cobra (vortech blown), this car is a dream. The 96 would over-heat if you looked at it funny, the Mach is rock solid in the temp gauge. The 96 had all sorts of issues with the front suspension, the mach made a little squeaking noise up front due to improperly packed bushings from the factory. The 96 went through 3 tranny's (before being supercharged), synchros, bent forks, exploded gears. My Mach hasn't had any problems (but some have reported issues with popping out of 2nd, grind on the 1-2 or 2-3 shift... all of which have TSBs to fix them under warranty).

Appearance... hands down to the Mach. I replaced the stock flat black stripes (on a black car... what was Ford thinking???) with Silver, and the car looks even better. I don't really care for the wheels (they are a bitch to clean), but it completes the look.

Okay... back to work for me.

Later

Rod

DocHolliday01

Established Member
im 6'4, i didn't mind the stock shifter reach and what not was fine. nevers missed gears in it until about the last week i had it in. i have the mgw with the blue handle and its badass. short height as well has throws. mgw says its the shortest throw on the market. i have a hurst comp plus in my z28 and is doesn't even compare to my mgw. if you go with mgw you won't be dissappointed.

Sapperstang

Established Member
The shifter location is fine with me too. I am thinking of picking up one of those new MGW shifters.

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member
I have to chime in I agree with kissmyazzure, do not get blue. You said it best black is the way to go. I love it and it hides the dumb stickers on the bottom, no offense to guys who like them but every V6 around here has the same stripe but it says mustang. :nonono: ok back on subject, it is exactly same placement as cobra. So if you hated it you will hate the Mach. I can't believe you hated it, man I would take this over any car anyday. I guess I am just used to the location being my 6th stang :thumbsup:

NeverFastEnough

Established Member
Placement is fine and located much better than the Cobra (IMO). However, the throws seem to be a ton longer. An aftermarket (MGW) would solve any problems.

JJPMach1

Red 2003 Mach 1
Established Member
well, I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam, and I think the shifter is fine, I don't have to stretch for it in any gear. plus I still have the factory shifter in it.

Users who are viewing this thread