Opinions: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport

SRT-4 Turbo 7

Established Member
The wife and I are looking into a new vehicle. I have always been a fan of Jeeps. We are not the off road type, but the vehicle will probably see beach use when we take the dogs. I did plenty of research but wanted to hear what owners have to say about them.

I am looking at a 2011 Unlimited 4 door Sport with a soft top and auto trans.

My wife is worried about the soft top for when we have a kid. She feels it is not safe. I dont want a hard top because it is a pain in the a** to take off and takes up alot of garage space.

So let's hear it. The good, the bad and the ugly.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
If I lived in Jersey I would most definitely have a hard top. Soft tops on Jeeps are just not a winter thing if you're looking for any comfort. Not to mention the sound.

I'll admit, the newer models are much much better on ride and sound quality. You can actually carry on a conversation with the top off and doors off.

SRT-4 Turbo 7

Established Member
If I lived in Jersey I would most definitely have a hard top. Soft tops on Jeeps are just not a winter thing if you're looking for any comfort. Not to mention the sound.

I'll admit, the newer models are much much better on ride and sound quality. You can actually carry on a conversation with the top off and doors off.

Never driven an older jeep before. I took the soft top out today and went on the parkway. Crusing at 80mph I was impressed with how little noise. I am not sure if the tops were redesigned or what, but It wasnt bad at all.

I am worried about a few things with a soft top.

1. Winters (How cold will it get lol)

2. Zip up windows (Makes the car very easy to get into)

3. Safety in a roll over (Hopefully it never happens)

slowandold

Established Member
Been into Jeeps for a the last 8 yrs here's my .02:

Winter climates - Hardtop....or dual top option...with the unlimited you can remove the panels and have the open top feeling without having to wrestle with the whole top. Soft tops are great for the summer months of if you live in a warmer climate (like I do now, originally from MI though)....the softtops have a similar feature where they fold back to give a sunroof feel....either way wrestling with the unlimited's top is a pain softtop or hardtop - 2 person job for the most part unless you are only removing the DS and PS "t-tops".

if you arent in a hurry or looking for big discounts wait and test drive the 2012...the new Pentastar v6 is a HUGE improvement over the 3.8L minivan motor in the 07-11 models...

Any other questions LMK...had a 83 CJ-7, 02 sport, 05 unlimited with D44's on 36's, 3 dedicated trail only rigs (89YJ, full comp mid engine buggy and a jeep "TJ" tube buggy)...so know a little about jeeps lol...current jeeps are 02 sahara on 33's (daughters) and 09 2 door sahara (wifes)...

xenodragon

Established Member
I drove a 98 jeep in jersey for close to 4 years all year round. I had both the hard and soft top, so while it was a pain to take off, it only happened once a year and we just put it upright against the wall in a home made bracket with some foam.

The new ones from what I understand have those 4 piece hard tops which makes managing the hard top on and off much much easier.

The jeep didnt get cold in the winter at all...I live in MN now so maybe I am immune to NJ cold or even thinking back to it. I just laugh at how warm NJ winters are.

For your concerns:
1. Not a concern, I know a few people that drive Jeep wranglers in MN winter and I havnt heard them complain.

2. Do they still make zip up windows? Mine had roll up with the soft top on

3. I took some pretty fast turns in my jeep (my first car) and it didnt roll at all. They are pretty wide vehicles..plus the roll bar is gigantic so its a little different rolling in a jeep compared to rolling in a regular car vert.

slowandold

Established Member
Never driven an older jeep before. I took the soft top out today and went on the parkway. Crusing at 80mph I was impressed with how little noise. I am not sure if the tops were redesigned or what, but It wasnt bad at all.

1. Winters (How cold will it get lol) - Neither is insulated, although they do offer aftermarket kits for the hardtop now....hvac's work well though so either should be fine in the winter months...rear may be a bit cooler than what I am used to with my wifes 2 door.

2. Zip up windows (Makes the car very easy to get into) - its a jeep...dont leave valuables inside...we usually just leave the doors unlocked so that in the "event" someone breaks in, hopefully they try the doors before cutting or unzipping the windows (typically windows get slashed to speed the theft process)...hardtops are obviously best for security....once again aftermarket support (Tuffy security products comes to mind) is out there if you want to secure your possessions..

3. Safety in a roll over (Hopefully it never happens) - hardtop has no added safety vs softtop in a rollover...thats why they have rollcages ;)

see above :)

ff500

Established Member
My wife and I just recently got a 2011 Wrangler Sport, its blue with soft top and auto, she didn't want the 4 door. I plan on driving in winter with soft top. I had another Wrangler before with both hard and soft top and it the hard top was a pain to deal with ( new ones may be different ).

So far so good its fun to drive, close to 21 mpg on highway. I have a 7 year old and was a little worried about safety as well, if your vehicle rolls over I don't think a soft top or hard top is gonna make that much of a difference in protecting you.

Raven519

Established Member

1. Winters (How cold will it get lol)

2. Zip up windows (Makes the car very easy to get into)

3. Safety in a roll over (Hopefully it never happens)

1. Soft top in winter is not an issue, had one on my 06 and it was fine. Wranglers have very good heaters, lol. Wind noise for the first couple years shouldn't be bad at all, its only when the soft top gets older and more stretched out that the noise gets worse.

2. This is my main issue and why I won't buy a soft top again. My brother had his 07 broken into a couple times and i know of a couple others who have had issues with this. I personally never had an issue however.

3. hard top would provide more safety, but not "that" much more. Rollbar will protect you just fine.

MustangBoo

Save Colonel Reb!!!
Established Member
New jeeps have the 3 piece freedom top so the top over the front seat comes off in two pieces and the entire top does not have to be removed. Also the unlimiteds all come with metal doors with roll up windows. Best bet is wait like I am for the 12 with the new engine. It's getting 21+ mpg, if that's important to you. Also they may be putting a diesel in the new models and possibly a wrangler truck.

Last edited:

Fuerza

Established Member
My wife recently bought a 2011 Sahara unlimited with hard top.

1. It's always hot as hell in a Jeep Wrangler. We run the AC full blast all the time especially when it's been parked in the sun. This is my wife's DD and I do drive it from time to time.

2. The 2011 and older have the old Chrysler minivan V6. 200hp and 230tq, add that to the 4 speed auto and this thing is dirt slow and not very torquey. I didn't expect blazing power, but I would much rather have bought a 2012 with the 290hp engine and 5 speed auto. I drive a Grand Cherokee with the new motor and it was plenty powerful for a full size SUV.

3. We are using an offroader as a mall crawler. 2 solid axles and and the ride quality is horrible. I could understand using a vehicle to go offroad, hunting, camping ect, our Jeep will never see dirt, it's a waste IMO.

Horrible visibility! My wife backed into a brick mail box at a friends house. The back window is tiny and hard too see out of. Don't run over your kids!

Shitty gas mileage. Combined 19 highway and city. I blame the weak motor and 4 speed auto, again I would have bought a 2012.

This is our 2nd Jk Unlimited, I don't know why my wife likes them so much. She loves them, I hate them.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Get a new Grand Cherokee, those things are awesome.

I'd recommend a JK if you were actually going to do some wheeling, but if its a DD for your wife and kid, go with the most comfort and safety.

That being said, I do have friends who's wives DD 4dr JK's on 35's and have small kids. Of course, they are used to Jeeps because my friends have modded older wranglers and do a lot of wheeling. The JK's get offroaded pretty hard as well.

Oh, and as you see here, the JK's have full hard doors with power windows and still have a soft top. You can buy half doors without window frames or tube doors for the sunny days.

Gore-VA4WDAMembersOnly043.jpg

Gore-VA4WDAMembersOnly056.jpg

Last edited:

7.62x51

Established Member
I never cared for Jeeps much until the new 4-door Jeep Wrangler came out. I really dig that Jeep, and it's the first one I've considered buying. They do look best with a lift and 35"s or 37"s though.

I do wish they came with a factory cummins diesel or V8 though, but I have a feeling the swap wouldn't be too difficult

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
I don't have a new one but a 93 YJ and I rock the soft top all winter. Sounds like you have a garage so snow should not really be a problem, if it is I have had upwards of 12'' max on it, I just get out there clean if off 1 or 2 times a day if it is snowing excessively and it is fine. As for how cold it is, Jeep heaters work amazing, I usually end up turning it down after 10-15 mins since my feet begin to roast and the cab is plenty warm. Older jeeps like mine are noisy as shit on the highway but sounds like you have already discovered the new ones are much better.
As for the whole zipper windows things, if someone wants in the car they are getting in, no real doors or glass window is going to stop an experienced thief or a kid with a rock. Plus there are plenty of aftermarket center consoles that lock.
I love the new Unlimited the 4 doors look like a blast.

Plus Jeeps are a blast! No doors, no top = best time ever.

fyi I deemed this my jeep initiation test, I think I passed, lol.
251.gif

2010-07-17151353.jpg

Last edited:

BAD351W

Established Member
Id say go for one. I drove a 2000 Jeep wrangler for a little under a year and would totally buy another one if I had the cash. My soft top was fine on the highway, with very little wind noise. The hardtop was heavy and a pain to store, but I dealt with it. I offroaded mine often, and it took everything I threw at it. Overall fun vehicle.

98chromesvt

Established Member
I'm also looking into a wrangler. Could someone post up the differences in the different models. Rubicon/Sahara/Unlimited. Do the 4 doors have that much more space. I am also debating on waiting for the 2012. Looking into the 07-11.. Will it really be worth the wait for the 12..?

Last edited:

JUST TRY 03

Established Member
ive had a 2010 wrangler for about a year now, havent had any problems. Some hardcore jeep guys hate the new jeeps (JK's) because they are plastic and have a better interior than previous jeeps.

The differences between a sahara/sport and a rubicon are the rubicon is built for off roading, has front and rear dana 44 axles, electoronic lockers front and rear and 32 inch BFG Mud Terrains. A sahara/sport will have a dana 44 rear and a dana 30 front, no lockers, and a more street friendly tire. Saharas are considered "mall crawlers due to the painted fender flares etc...

i would advise getting a hard top, its much more quiet, and isnt prone to leaks like the factory soft top is. Ive had a soft top in the past and i personally think it is easier to take the hard top off versus the 4 door soft top, but thats just me.

Right now for the 2012 model year jeep came out with the new 3.6L motor, it has around 280 ish horsepower versus the old 3.8 V6 that had around 200. The good news is there are going to be giving large discounts on the 2011s to make room for the 12's. the 3.8 is a good motor, just not sure if your wanting the newest thing on the block.

here is my 2010 JK 4 door....
IMG_2228.jpg

and just to prove its not a mall crawler...
254494_123291764422901_100002262358141_195363_4425347_n.jpg

253787_123291784422899_100002262358141_195364_2754655_n.jpg

Last edited:

BAD351W

Established Member
To the above poster, I beleive Saharas might have come with the D44 in the rear. But Jeep Sports came with a D35 in the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread