Opinions: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport

firebird1999us

Established Member
Owned several pre 2006 jeeps that had tons of bugs. I definitely wouldn't have one for anything other than fun or as a toy. They excel in that department. The older ones can be had for super cheap but all of the new models is seen are like $30k+...which is way more than I'd pay for a jeep:shrug:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
ive been looking at picking up a used wrangler possibly. some people say to buy 2000 or newer. are they that much better than a 90s model? also, ive read that motors are built to last. so no issues picking one up with 100k on it? that can be anywhere from $5 to $10k depending on the year/model.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
ive been looking at picking up a used wrangler possibly. some people say to buy 2000 or newer. are they that much better than a 90s model? also, ive read that motors are built to last. so no issues picking one up with 100k on it? that can be anywhere from $5 to $10k depending on the year/model.

the coil sprung suspension on the TJ ('98-'06) is far superior to the older leaf sprung jeep's. the 4.0 inline 6 is definitely a workhorse engine, it should last forever...

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
the coil sprung suspension on the TJ ('98-'06) is far superior to the older leaf sprung jeep's. the 4.0 inline 6 is definitely a workhorse engine, it should last forever...

gotcha. i almost bought a TJ back in 98 or 99... or so, and remember hearing about how much better the suspension was on the "new ones". but they were $$$ used back then, since being so new still of course. i believe i read that 00 and up got the better driveability...? or would that include 98 and up?

the round headlights definitely look better than the rectangular ones imo. that was a big plus for them, to me, back then.

i almost bought a lifted one on some meats back then but it would have been my dd and was way impractical. now, it would be an extra vehicle/toy.

personally im still deciding between wrangler or ranger 4x4 as it would be nice to have a truck/bed for the utility...

Formula51

Established Member
My wife recently bought a 2011 Sahara unlimited with hard top.

1. It's always hot as hell in a Jeep Wrangler. We run the AC full blast all the time especially when it's been parked in the sun. This is my wife's DD and I do drive it from time to time.

2. The 2011 and older have the old Chrysler minivan V6. 200hp and 230tq, add that to the 4 speed auto and this thing is dirt slow and not very torquey. I didn't expect blazing power, but I would much rather have bought a 2012 with the 290hp engine and 5 speed auto. I drive a Grand Cherokee with the new motor and it was plenty powerful for a full size SUV.

3. We are using an offroader as a mall crawler. 2 solid axles and and the ride quality is horrible. I could understand using a vehicle to go offroad, hunting, camping ect, our Jeep will never see dirt, it's a waste IMO.

Horrible visibility! My wife backed into a brick mail box at a friends house. The back window is tiny and hard too see out of. Don't run over your kids!

Shitty gas mileage. Combined 19 highway and city. I blame the weak motor and 4 speed auto, again I would have bought a 2012.

This is our 2nd Jk Unlimited, I don't know why my wife likes them so much. She loves them, I hate them.

A great example of the Jeep world. You love them or you don't. You "get" them or you don't.

I have a 08' Sahara that I have owned for the past few months and it is my daily driver. Here is my take on your notes above:

1. I don't find it hot at all. Rolling the windows down and keeps me pretty cool and I will turn the AC on additionally if needed. With the windows up, I rarely and I mean rarely ever have the AC beyond two clicks from off. The only time I ever have it all the way up is when the car has been baking in the sun all day and I just got in it, but even then I usually just roll the windows down and put it on 2 clicks (mid-way).

2. I agree about the 2012. The engine is not very powerful and you will have to rev it up to merge on highways ramps and such, but it is not terrible. It is not completely gutless and mine has plenty of torque (Wranglers with the tow package got 3.73 rear gears instead of 3.21).

3. I think the ride quality is surprisingly good. You will feel bumps in the road, but I think it is every bit as good, if not better than my wife's 07' Tacoma quad cab.

4. Visibility is not bad at all IF YOU DO THE FOLLOWING: turn the rear view mirror upside down (trust me it works) and I recommend you also relocate your 3rd brake light to behind/in/on the spare tire. The mirrors work great like they do on any vehicle, learn how to use them. People didn't need backup camera's for centuries and they don't need them now, don't blame the Jeep for your lack of ability to drive.

5. The gas mileage does kind of suck, but if you don't have a long commute then who cares. The tank is pretty big atleast. Again, the 2012 will fix some of this.

Formula51

Established Member
Winter climates - Hardtop....or dual top option...with the unlimited you can remove the panels and have the open top feeling without having to wrestle with the whole top. Soft tops are great for the summer months of if you live in a warmer climate (like I do now, originally from MI though)....the softtops have a similar feature where they fold back to give a sunroof feel....either way wrestling with the unlimited's top is a pain softtop or hardtop - 2 person job for the most part unless you are only removing the DS and PS "t-tops".

FYI, after two times of taking my top off and putting it back up with an assistant, I can now do it by myself relatively easily. Putting it down is easy, getting it up takes a little more practice/ingenuity but can be done by one person. I have a 4 door too.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Yup, if you want a fancy SUV, get a grand cherokee. They are still very capable on any terrain, but are built to have a better ride and the interiors rival much more expensive brands. I know some creature comforts are nice, but I think Jeep is going a bit overboard putting all sorts of luxury crap in the JK.

Users who are viewing this thread