Opinions need on possible 04 Cobra purchase

DJG

Established Member
First of all, hi, I'm new here.

I'm coming from an 02 Z06 and thinking about buying a fairly built 2004 Cobra. However, first I want some opinions from some seasoned veterans, about this particular car. The guy is the original owner, has full documentation for everything done, all done by a very reputable local shop. I've seen the car in person and it's like new, aside from the scratch/ding explained in the description.

The guy was originally asking $31k, but I was able to talk him down to $27,300. Is this a good deal for that amount of money? Your opinions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the exact description as it reads on autotrader -

500+ HP under the hood with 460 RWHP. Only 9700 miles and never driven in the rain. Oh, except for 3 times that I was caught in the rain. Has a small scrape/dent on the passenger quarter panel. Not sure how I got this - I think it was a gift from some parking lot idiot. Not very noticeable as most people miss it when they look at the car.

-Custom built 6 pt roll bar with swing out/removal door bars. Custom rear seat delete (since no one can fit in the back of these cars anyway) and carpet. Also has sound proofing similar to Dynamat from the rear seat right into the trunk area.
-Digital MSD shift lite.
-Whipple Supercharger with 13.5lbs boost.
-DTS built solid 8.8 axle w/4.10 gears, 3" studs, Eaton posi, Strange 31 spline axles, welded tubes, c-clip eliminator + Ford 9" axle housing ends, Ford Explorer disc brakes (allow the fitment of 15" drag wheels)
-BBK ceramic shorty headers.
-BBK aluminized exhaust.
-MGW blue shifter w/Hurst shifter handle w/button for line loc.
-SLP Line Loc/Roll Control.
-Maximum Motorsports frame connectors
-Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber plates
-Steeda billet aluminum lower control arms (jacker kind)
-Steeda upper control arms
-Drive shaft safey loop
-Tokico D4Spec front struts - fully adjustable via/allen key - these are awesome.
-Cold Air Kit
-Gords Ford H/E with electric fans
-Diablo Predator tuner with MaFIA Professionally tuned by Blood Enterprises in Auburn - 11.8 A/F with 460rwhp, 13.5 boost.

I have the receipts for all work and parts purchased. This car was professionally built, is always garaged, extremely reliable, very clean and a blast to drive.

Pictures -

3051804455.229645942.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

2807649460.229645942.IM1.03.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

2807649469.229645942.IM1.12.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

2807649466.229645942.IM1.09.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

2807649461.229645942.IM1.04.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

2807649475.229645942.IM1.18.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

2807649464.229645942.IM1.07.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Thanks for your insight, in advance!

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
If everything checks out mechanically I would do it. That looks like a pretty great deal to me considering everything that was done to is. It should be pretty quick too. The only thing that I wonder about is why the HP numbers are so low. Most people with a whipple @ 13 psi are seeing around 525 to as much as 545 rear wheel hp (est. ~600 - ~ 625 engine hp). But that looks like a Mustang Dyno, so the 460 number could fall to about 500-525 rwhp on a dyno-jet. And that sounds about right. Do you know if it is a 2300AX Whipple or the newer W140AX? They are both the same size blower, but the 140 is a new design and seems to make a little better numbers. You can tell if it is a 140 if there is a sight glass for the oil level on the front of the blower.

-Jeff

Fuerza

Established Member
Seems like a race car to me. IMO it screams drag car. That is a pretty stout build, DTS rear, line lock, safety loop, cage ect. I don't really care for cars with cages in them. If you can live with it buy it. I would have a compression and leak down done on the motor before you buy.

DJG

Established Member
If everything checks out mechanically I would do it. That looks like a pretty great deal to me considering everything that was done to is. It should be pretty quick too. The only thing that I wonder about is why the HP numbers are so low. Most people with a whipple @ 13 psi are seeing around 525 to as much as 545 rear wheel hp (est. ~600 - ~ 625 engine hp). But that looks like a Mustang Dyno, so the 460 number could fall to about 500-525 rwhp on a dyno-jet. And that sounds about right. Do you know if it is a 2300AX Whipple or the newer W140AX? They are both the same size blower, but the 140 is a new design and seems to make a little better numbers. You can tell if it is a 140 if there is a sight glass for the oil level on the front of the blower.

-Jeff

The 460 RWHP figures did come from a Mustang dyno, as a matter of fact. He had a separate dyno sheet from a dyno-jet showing 563 RWHP. Good call. The car's best run to-date is an 11.6 @ 123mph on M/T Drag Radials. Not sure about the blower model, but now I'm going to look into it. Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
That is like a 19% difference in the MD and dynojet numbers. Mustang to dynojet corrections are hardly ever accurate. It the very most the usual difference is more like 7-10%. 560 rwhp is not very likely.

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
low mustang dyno numbers and only 11.6 quarter that would seem slow for a whipple with all the suspension work and tires . sounds like a bad tune because the parts are there.

DJG

Established Member
That is like a 19% difference in the MD and dynojet numbers. Mustang to dynojet corrections are hardly ever accurate. It the very most the usual difference is more like 7-10%. 560 rwhp is not very likely.

Oh, I agree that 560rwhp isn't realistic.

As for the 11.6, the trap's there @ 123mph. That's good for an 11.1-11.2

DJG

Established Member
Ummmm...

So, pardon my ignorance with these cars, but I'm still familiarizing myself with them....

My main goal with this car is for it to be a daily driven, road race/drag car. I'm being told that the way this car is set up is for drag racing only and that it would take a lot of work to make it road course worthy... I don't see exactly how that is true, but like I said, I don't know a hell of a lot about this car or it's suspension setup. Furthermore, I was told that, in order for this car to run properly I would need to run an octane booster with premium pump gas...? :shrug: Really?? And it would probably only get about 10-12mpg.

I find all of this kind of hard to believe, so if somebody could please shed some knowledgeable light on the subject, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Danny G.

SNAKE CHARM

Alcohol Fueled Brutality
Established Member
So, pardon my ignorance with these cars, but I'm still familiarizing myself with them....

My main goal with this car is for it to be a daily driven, road race/drag car. I'm being told that the way this car is set up is for drag racing only and that it would take a lot of work to make it road course worthy... I don't see exactly how that is true, but like I said, I don't know a hell of a lot about this car or it's suspension setup. Furthermore, I was told that, in order for this car to run properly I would need to run an octane booster with premium pump gas...? :shrug: Really?? And it would probably only get about 10-12mpg.

I find all of this kind of hard to believe, so if somebody could please shed some knowledgeable light on the subject, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Danny G.

With that said, I am a big fan of building the car to my driving style, this just may be the wrong start for you, don't get me wrong hell of a car great price, but building these cars is where the fun is at , that's where you learn and know what's been done.JMO

MikeW

Established Member
Looks like a good Cobra :beer:

If you like it and can deal with the mods then I vote go for it....

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^^What he said. If he has in fact ran that tune then by no means is he abusing the motor or the car itself. If that's the case then go for it. If you have buddies that go to the track just ask them if they've seen it a bunch.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member

Thanks,

Danny G.

With those gears and that build rear end, It's definitely a drag car... I'm sure the car is fine on the street, but yes the gas mileage will suck with that 4.10 gear...

Great car and great price.. Just make sure you have a leak down or compression test done and listen to the engine from top and bottom for any odd noises

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread