Opinions needed for the next mod Blower/Turbo

ctgreddy

Established Member
since you already have a bap and h/e, find yourself a used tvs or 2.9. All you'd need imo are injectors, maf, bigger intercooler tank and down the road a clutch. You could even buy new stuff and hit your budget.

tvs-3400
throttle body-440
maf-260
injectors-400
h/e tank-300
thermostat-60
jlt intake-260

that puts you at 5120 new parts, and you really dont even need the jlt just a filter adapter/filter on the maf so could be under 5k. or buy a tvs new and used other parts and probably be low 4k range. Make 620-650 be safe happy and fun. then upgrade clutch the following year.

Edit: I wouldn't expect over 640/650 on 93 unless you go turbo. Which IMO you could also do an on3 kit with upgraded turbo/bov/wastegate and vbands. that'd be under 5k then you can sell your complete eaton swap for 2k+ to cover fuel parts and the necessary components to go turbo.

4stang6

Established Member
since you already have a bap and h/e, find yourself a used tvs or 2.9. All you'd need imo are injectors, maf, bigger intercooler tank and down the road a clutch. You could even buy new stuff and hit your budget.

tvs-3400
throttle body-440
maf-260
injectors-400
h/e tank-300
thermostat-60
jlt intake-260

that puts you at 5120 new parts, and you really dont even need the jlt just a filter adapter/filter on the maf so could be under 5k. or buy a tvs new and used other parts and probably be low 4k range. Make 620-650 be safe happy and fun. then upgrade clutch the following year.

Edit: I wouldn't expect over 640/650 on 93 unless you go turbo. Which IMO you could also do an on3 kit with upgraded turbo/bov/wastegate and vbands. that'd be under 5k then you can sell your complete eaton swap for 2k+ to cover fuel parts and the necessary components to go turbo.

Thanks for the info!
For the most part, I'll more than likely go with a 2.3 KB, Or might even do a 2.9 if i can get a gerat deal on 1. But will be looking for a used 1, Not new.
Spend anywhere from 2400-2800 and add a pretty small pulley.
Also add some used longtubes with a k-Member to lighten the load.
and add some 60lb injectors.
I would think with proper fuel support, I would hopefully be around the 620-650 range, But it might be wishful thinking, Im not sure.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
2.3 and 2.9 are both whipple blowers not KB. Also, remember with all the parts listed above you will still need several hundreds of dollars in random crap (I.E. gaskets, things that break while working on it, random bolts that go missing) several hundred in a tune. Also that assumes you do all the work yourself and have all the tools needed to do the job. I quickly find I spend hundreds each time I do something buying new tools. Every time you price out the main parts add 1-2k extra in "random sh$%" fund.

4stang6

Established Member
2.3 and 2.9 are both whipple blowers not KB. Also, remember with all the parts listed above you will still need several hundreds of dollars in random crap (I.E. gaskets, things that break while working on it, random bolts that go missing) several hundred in a tune. Also that assumes you do all the work yourself and have all the tools needed to do the job. I quickly find I spend hundreds each time I do something buying new tools. Every time you price out the main parts add 1-2k extra in "random sh$%" fund.

I am a Technician , and work in a shop, Beauty of it is having access to all supplies for free lol.
Not to mention i get any part at cost!
And yeah i have no idea why i put KB , I do know their whipples. I was looking at the 2.8H KBs thats probley why i put that on their, Ive been reading up on their liquid cooled blowers as well, But out of my range anyhow.

I wont expect to spend 1-2K extra in misc parts, Thats just being unprepared.
If you quote it out, You shouldnt be over anything unless availability becomes an issues and people start adding a % increase to their parts to let them go..

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
I am a Technician , and work in a shop, Beauty of it is having access to all supplies for free lol.
Not to mention i get any part at cost!
And yeah i have no idea why i put KB , I do know their whipples. I was looking at the 2.8H KBs thats probley why i put that on their, Ive been reading up on their liquid cooled blowers as well, But out of my range anyhow.

I wont expect to spend 1-2K extra in misc parts, Thats just being unprepared.
If you quote it out, You shouldnt be over anything unless availability becomes an issues and people start adding a % increase to their parts to let them go..
Good luck with that. You WILL run into random costs. As someone who has built or helped build over 15 cars from 400 rwhp bolt ons to 1300 race cars you will run into random crap you'll need. Be it a tensioner, wrong belt size, a bolt breaking, striping something out. Maybe your BAP won't end up flowing enough so you need a new fuel system, maybe your injectors you buy used need cleaned and flowed. There are so many unknowns that to say spending over "supercharger, maf, injector" shopping cart from lethal is being unprepared is absurd. You ask for advice and then continue to argue against any advice given. Everyone suggests TVS and gives you pages upon pages of facts on why given your power goal they are the best blower and you are here talking about KB 2.8's and whipple 2.9's. Everyone is saying it's incredibly hard to build what you want for 5k without cutting some corners and you argue back that it's easy yet you've never done it.

Using all data and replacing a control arm on a honda is a lot different than putting aftermarket parts that doubles the factory hp rating.

Honestly best of luck to you since you don't seem to want to listen to the people who've been down the road.

4stang6

Established Member
Good luck with that. You WILL run into random costs. As someone who has built or helped build over 15 cars from 400 rwhp bolt ons to 1300 race cars you will run into random crap you'll need. Be it a tensioner, wrong belt size, a bolt breaking, striping something out. Maybe your BAP won't end up flowing enough so you need a new fuel system, maybe your injectors you buy used need cleaned and flowed. There are so many unknowns that to say spending over "supercharger, maf, injector" shopping cart from lethal is being unprepared is absurd. You ask for advice and then continue to argue against any advice given. Everyone suggests TVS and gives you pages upon pages of facts on why given your power goal they are the best blower and you are here talking about KB 2.8's and whipple 2.9's. Everyone is saying it's incredibly hard to build what you want for 5k without cutting some corners and you argue back that it's easy yet you've never done it.

Using all data and replacing a control arm on a honda is a lot different than putting aftermarket parts that doubles the factory hp rating.

Honestly best of luck to you since you don't seem to want to listen to the people who've been down the road.

Woah, Calm down guy.
People gave advice on the applications i asked about and thats it.
This is a topic to conversate about, No reason to get upset because i say i shouldnt get 2k in misc items.

4stang6

Established Member

I looked over the thread, I can't see where EVERYONE suggested to go with a TVS.
I saw where a few said tvs, a few whipple, 1 guy on3...
Idk where you saw that.....
I understand it's not a repair on a honda, No this isn't my first build.
No this isn't my first terminator, No it's not my first built motor, I can't see where you got any of your info about me, I guess because I ask for opinions on setups you can assume my past, That's cool.
If you don't have input on the boost applications, Go find a different thread to talk smack in.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Never talked smacked, simply gave you the honest truth which you seem to not want to hear.

Confirmation bias is something you should look up.

I'm not upset or mad at your or think any less of you for what you are saying. I just always find it odd when people make these posts then argue with anyone and everyone who suggests something different than they originally planned. If your plan all along was to build a car for 5k and use a big blower/turbo then go do it. Why ask people their opinion and then argue with those that have already done it?

Every single quote I perform for someone I include misc charges and explain the need for a "sh$% happens" budget. It means I'm considerate of the persons budget and my quotes are typically cheaper in the end compared to others that end up charging significantly more as the shop charges more and more unexpected things come up. To say "I'm unprepared" though not directly does rub me the wrong way. Any shop/"technician"/handy man/contractor or any other that says he can quote and be dead on every time is a liar and/or the luckiest person alive.

Don't take offense when people are looking out for your best interest just because they don't blindly agree with your thoughts.

4stang6

Established Member
Never talked smacked, simply gave you the honest truth which you seem to not want to hear.

Confirmation bias is something you should look up.

I'm not upset or mad at your or think any less of you for what you are saying. I just always find it odd when people make these posts then argue with anyone and everyone who suggests something different than they originally planned. If your plan all along was to build a car for 5k and use a big blower/turbo then go do it. Why ask people their opinion and then argue with those that have already done it?

Every single quote I perform for someone I include misc charges and explain the need for a "sh$% happens" budget. It means I'm considerate of the persons budget and my quotes are typically cheaper in the end compared to others that end up charging significantly more as the shop charges more and more unexpected things come up. To say "I'm unprepared" though not directly does rub me the wrong way. Any shop/"technician"/handy man/contractor or any other that says he can quote and be dead on every time is a liar and/or the luckiest person alive.

Don't take offense when people are looking out for your best interest just because they don't blindly agree with your thoughts.

Okay. Thanks for your Input on the blower/Turbo you had experience with.
We'll end your rant here.

4stang6

Established Member
For a quick update to the people who had input in... I found a great deal on a Kenne Bell 2.8H that i couldnt pass up on... Going with a 3.10 Pulley and a Meth Kit....We'll see what type of results i get :)

Users who are viewing this thread