Opinions on a rotary?

03slow6

Established Member
Which rotary is most user friendly? I have a PC-7424, and have been happy with results but now i would like to try using a rotary. Whats your guys' opinions on which one is best for a first timer to start with?

hoamskilet

Established Member
I don't know that any rotary is necessarily more "user friendly" than another. They all spin a shaft in a circle. Really the differences come down to weight, power, speed, etc....I've got a DeWalt 849x that seems like a good unit. I don't use it a ton.

Another option is the Flex 3401. It still has the random orbit feature, but also forced rotation (i.e. you cant grab it and stop it from spinning like the PC).

Just to share a bit of my experience.....Curiosity got the best of me and I picked up the Dewalt to upgrade my PC. The machine is nice, not ungodly heavy, not as noisy, and waaaaay smoother (as in how it feels in your hand while the machine is running), but it's just way more of a chore to use. I ended up picking up a Rupes 21 and haven't look back. I'm still glad I have the rotary since I still use it on my boat and random bits here and there on cars still, but it just wasn't enjoyable to use full time on a vehicle. I'm sure that would change over time, but it just wasn't worth it to me.

If you're looking for something with more oomph over your PC, I'd take a strong look at the Rupes or Flex first before taking the plunge on a rotary. JMO

Merlinii

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
Established Member
My favorite rotary is the Flex PE 14. Light, Powerful and Smooth. Great with a 5" backing plate.

That said, your next logical step could be the Rupes LHR 21ES Big Foot Random Orbital Polisher.
This is my go-to tool for paint correction and it cats and finishes nice with a 5" BP and LC HD Orbital pads.
(Made especially for the Rupes) The orange is a great medium pad and the red finishes with Carpro Reflect.
I run Megs 5" microfiber cutting discs with it along with D300 and/or M101 to do "safe" paint correction quickly.

BTW - It can take years to "master" a rotary.

Last edited:

Imatk

Established Member
I have a Metabo and like it, but like others have said they're all pretty much the same minus weight and how they turn on/off.

I think the makita has a trigger which is why I didn't go with that... didn't want to have to press and hold the trigger all the time, but plenty of folks like that unit.

03slow6

Established Member
Although I will only be using the rotary a few times, my main reason for getting one is that boat Im detailing. This thing is a PITA to work on with my PC.

Imatk

Established Member
The rotary is most dangerous on the edges of the paint. So if you keep to the middle and avoid edges you'll be fine.

You can even tape off the edges and do them with the PC or whatever you like.

Just watch some videos on how to use a rotary if you already haven't and you'll be ok. The main thing is to keep the machine moving and not let it sit in one spot.

I was very intimidated to start using a rotary and after I wish I'd done it sooner.

The PC is a great finishing tool, but the rotary just can't be matched in speed and performance.

I've not used a Rupes or anything like that though... but I don't need to since I use a rotary.

hoamskilet

Established Member
Although I will only be using the rotary a few times, my main reason for getting one is that boat Im detailing. This thing is a PITA to work on with my PC.

well in that case i would completely agree with a rotary. I used my Dewalt on our boat this past summer with a wool pad and it worked great

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
The PE-14 is a great tool but depending on the size of the boat you might need one a bit bigger. As far as DA's go the best one on the market right now is the Flex BY FAR. Nothing else really comes close - not even Rupes. Heck I'd take Griots Garage over Rupes when it comes to DA's.

oldmodman

Established Member
I have both the Makita and the Flex and prefer the Flex for almost every job.

But for you I have a different recommendation. Try the much cheaper Harbor Freight unit.

Nowhere near as high quality as either of the other polishers, but since you are going to be using it on a boat you need power. Not finesse.

This one for $39.95 http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/polishers/7-in-variable-speed-polishersander-69474.html

Or go whole hog and get the model with the digital speed readout for $49.95 http://www.harborfreight.com/power-...hersander-with-digital-rpm-display-69696.html

Users who are viewing this thread