opinions on compression ratio for my build

01YellowCobra23

SNAKE CHARMED
Established Member
im in the process of building a new motor for my 01. im not sure what compression to run...heres what my build kinda looks like

Block: Teksid block
Heads: Stegimier stage 2 ported 03 Cobra heads
Cams: stock 01 cobra cams
Intake: Ported 01 Cobra intake with intake spacer
Power adder: Vortech V2 S-trim with AIS Methanol kit....gonna be looking to push 16-17psi

What cc piston/compression ratio would be good for this setup? This is mostly a daily driven car so driveability and longevity plays a factor.

03Steve

Established Member
10.0:1 static. Set your engine up to 190-210psi dynamic during a compression test.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
With a centri style blower 9.5 to 1 is perfect, with 4v heads this will need roughly a -6cc volume dish (depending on bore size) Please let us know how we can help, we keep most ratio's in stock in all bore sizes, we will also meet or beat any advertised price on the parts you need!

MMR

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quKSTuFomyg"]YouTube - PSCA Round 3 Outlaw Mark Luton's New Mustang[/nomedia]
MMR%202010%20launch%20banner%20video.jpg

Last edited:

quikcobra

Established Member
Are you sure your not going to upgrade the boost application in the future? Build the motor for your wants. 9.5:1 is more common but common gets boring. Step it up get a set of Diamond pistons with a small or no dish. Some shops will sell you the pistons and the valve reliefs are free. Others charge and hope you dont look around.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Gone are the days where you could only run 8.5:1. That'll make your car a dog, especially with a centri. With advances in tuning and other methods of controlling detonation like E-85, and meth injection, you can have your cake and eat it too.

If you have meth injection, don't be afraid of higher compression! I'd like to say 9.5:1 like everyone else to stay safe, but you could go a little higher, say, 10:1 with meth and still run high boost.

There's a guy on Modularfords.com that is running the Aluminator high compression block (10:1) with a whipple blower, pushing 16-18LBS and he's planning on turning it up to over 20LBS. Granted, he's running E-85. But with meth and a proper tune, you'll be happy you've got the higher compression.

It makes your engine more efficient. You get better mileage. Better throttle response. Better low end power.

I have a 10.3:1 long block and I'm running 10-12 LBS of boost. Oh, and it's not forged. Stock Aviator long block. I haven't had any problems with it in 60,000 miles. Granted, it's a real conservative tune that pulls timing in the high RPM.

Oh, and with those 03 heads, you'll also get lots of extra power down low. Combined with the higher compression, my motor made less peak HP, but up to 100 more HP lower in the RPM range than my previous combination with low compression and 99 heads.

Just don't go any less than 9.5:1.

Homer

Users who are viewing this thread