Opinions on Springs and Wheel Hop

Warrior627

Established Member
Hi all, previous owner cut all four springs and the car sits right but bottoms out fairly easily and wheel hop is very bad. I'm wondering what you guys recomend and why for a spring set up. I was looking at H&R race springs or possibly coil overs. Thoughts on the FTBR IRS kits? I should mention that this is a street car that will prolly see 9000 miles a year (80% hiway 20% country roads) with maybe one trip down the 1/4 a year. I'm willing to give up a little ride comfort for much better handling and eliminate/reduce wheel hop. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

reldla1996

Established Member
The FTBR bushing kit is an awesome kit that makes a huge difference in handling, and virtually eliminates wheel hop. You don't give up anything in ride quality, though some people complain about additional noise from the front differential mount aluminum bushings (my increase in noise was negligible). The only time I get wheel hop now is if I barely spin the tires on wet roads, sometimes it will lightly wheel hop. Otherwise it is as smooth as glass whenever I spin/roast the tires.

twcbitten

Established Member
I just installed the ftbr kit myself. It was a lot of work but worth it. Took away my wheel hop and "cobra clunk".... I'd definitely recommend there product!

Warrior627

Established Member
No hop here with 305-40-18 NT05r's, poly IRS bushings, welded end plates, and Steeda sport springs.

Thank you guys for posting. Think I'm going with the H&R Race springs, and Toyo R888's. I'll see how that works and then if I'm still getting wheel hop go with FTBR.

Tractionless what "end plates" did you weld?

b_dike

Established Member
I noticed a dramatic decrease in wheel hop after installing h&r race springs. Although you'll need the ftbr kit to get rid of all of it.

Warrior627

Established Member
b, how's the ride feel with no iso's in? Have you rolled your fenders, any rubbing? Sry for all the questions just trying to do the suspension upgrade once correctly for my driving style.

b_dike

Established Member
b, how's the ride feel with no iso's in? Have you rolled your fenders, any rubbing? Sry for all the questions just trying to do the suspension upgrade once correctly for my driving style.

Ride is good... defiantly more firm than stock, but not jar your teeth loose firm if you know what I mean. I really love the way it holds the road now in the twisties. I find myself accelerating for corners now. Lol

No need to roll your fenders unless your running a wider tire. Im still on stock wheel/tire size so... plus the isos won't change the feel. There just there to isolate road noises, and they raise the ride height. Which I didnt like.

y2kpony

Established Member
Ride is good... defiantly more firm than stock, but not jar your teeth loose firm if you know what I mean. I really love the way it holds the road now in the twisties. I find myself accelerating for corners now. Lol

No need to roll your fenders unless your running a wider tire. Im still on stock wheel/tire size so... plus the isos won't change the feel. There just there to isolate road noises, and they raise the ride height. Which I didnt like.

I was curious about this also. How much more did it lower the car when you removed the isos. I have steeda sports with all isos and am not sure if it's worth removing them. I know h&rs lower more to begin with but maybe one of you guys can answer my ?. Thanks.

b_dike

Established Member
I was curious about this also. How much more did it lower the car when you removed the isos. I have steeda sports with all isos and am not sure if it's worth removing them. I know h&rs lower more to begin with but maybe one of you guys can answer my ?. Thanks.

Well I never actually had the isos on with the new springs, but from what I've read each iso is worth about a 1/4 in ride height. Don't forget there is a top and bottom iso. So we're talkn 1/2 in or so. The other thing to look at is what kind of isos. I ordered the poly ones extra. So they may raise the car even more than the flimsy rubber ones ford installed.

Users who are viewing this thread