opinions: should COMBAT vets have enhanced benefits?

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
i can speak for the AF but in the army for a CIB you have to be in the infantry. So truck drivers getting pinned down and in shoot outs didnt get them, and when they applied for PTSD benefits they lack of a CIB usually got them turned down. women cant join the infantry so they really had it bad. and there are plenty of female drivers medics etc in convoys.

now, if you have direct engagement with enemy fighters and in a combat zone you can get a CAB despite MOS and gender.

What is the difference between the two bolded statements? In the first statement are you saying the drivers didn't return fire so they aren't eligible or am I just retarded?

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
ju015dd: From what I read alot of the EOD guys going to Astan are doing dismounted patrols. I'm guessing that's leading to alot more ambush/firefights for them. They aren't waiting in the base for calls, they're going out and trying to be proactive.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
What is the difference between the two bolded statements? In the first statement are you saying the drivers didn't return fire so they aren't eligible or am I just retarded?

I'm pretty sure he was just meaning to say that they didn't get a CIB, they got a CAB instead.

Off topic, where are you from in OK?

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member

they are two different scenarios but both are qualifying. example:

Direct action-you ambush enemies

Direct engagement- you get ambushed but drive off without returning fire

both qualify

what happened in ft hood with the major going nuts doesnt qualify.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I'm pretty sure he was just meaning to say that they didn't get a CIB, they got a CAB instead.

Off topic, where are you from in OK?
Ah, didn't notice the different acronym.
I'm from good ole Pryor Creek. When are you coming back state side? I'd like to grab some dinner with a fellow okie.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
they are two different scenarios but both are qualifying. example:

Direct action-you ambush enemies

Direct engagement- you get ambushed but drive off without returning fire

both qualify

what happened in ft hood with the major going nuts doesnt qualify.

Oh, gotcha.
So does your CoC have to put you up for the medal or is it pretty cut and dry?

trickflow coupe

Established Member
yes infantry and other combat mos should get better benefits im sorry but unless you have lived on a an actual FOB and lived like i have ie: next to a burn pit, having to burn your shit, not being able to take a shower for 3 months, ect... you shouldnt rate the same benefits i do but thats just my humble opinion

ju015dd

64 valves
Established Member
yes infantry and other combat mos should get better benefits im sorry but unless you have lived on a an actual FOB and lived like i have ie: next to a burn pit, having to burn your shit, not being able to take a shower for 3 months, ect... you shouldnt rate the same benefits i do but thats just my humble opinion

I know what you mean man, lol. I remember for a couple weeks inbetween missions we had to go to a base somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Can't remember the name of it. There were air force tents with ac and females walking around everywhere. People riding fourwheelers around and all kinds of other pouge shit. We rolled in after being in the sand for almost 3 months eating shit and burning shit and get put out in the sand again. We were there for only a week or so before we hit our next mission(sector 17 baghdad) but for the first 4 days I sleep on the ground in the sand. Guess it was kinda worth it though cause I did get my first hot shower there, only had to wait 3.5 months to get that....... Yes I know I chose this ms but I thing combat arms should get something better out the deal than some paper pusher!

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
ju015dd: From what I read alot of the EOD guys going to Astan are doing dismounted patrols. I'm guessing that's leading to alot more ambush/firefights for them. They aren't waiting in the base for calls, they're going out and trying to be proactive.

They are technically a combat MOS. EOD rolled out with us and the Infantry quite a bit, they were never doing patrols on their own, they were always attached to an infantry or engineer element. I think anyone who doesnt have a base support role who is in combat should get recognition.

trickflow coupe

Established Member
I know what you mean man, lol. I remember for a couple weeks inbetween missions we had to go to a base somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Can't remember the name of it. There were air force tents with ac and females walking around everywhere. People riding fourwheelers around and all kinds of other pouge shit. We rolled in after being in the sand for almost 3 months eating shit and burning shit and get put out in the sand again. We were there for only a week or so before we hit our next mission(sector 17 baghdad) but for the first 4 days I sleep on the ground in the sand. Guess it was kinda worth it though cause I did get my first hot shower there, only had to wait 3.5 months to get that....... Yes I know I chose this ms but I thing combat arms should get something better out the deal than some paper pusher!

i hear you man when i was sent to afghanistan i was one of the 1st Marine battalions sent over in a while back in 08 i had to fill a 6 foot hesco with an e-tool while i was on my rest before a 6 hour patrol and like you said i did sign up to be a grunt and i think i deserve a bit more then somebody sitting at camp fallujah/KAF for their whole deployment

just my .02

M240Bravo

Established Member
No one should get anything.

You signed up, you knew would could happen to you.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
No one should get anything.

You signed up, you knew would could happen to you.

so if your leg gets blown of you should get patched up, medically boarded then told good luck and have a nice life? because you knew that it could happen right?

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
i hear you man when i was sent to afghanistan i was one of the 1st Marine battalions sent over in a while back in 08 i had to fill a 6 foot hesco with an e-tool while i was on my rest before a 6 hour patrol and like you said i did sign up to be a grunt and i think i deserve a bit more then somebody sitting at camp fallujah/KAF for their whole deployment

just my .02
hell yes, i remember doing 8 hours shifts of filling sand bags for about 2 weeks, then we finally got to move into our platoon COP in ramadi.
Combat experienced vets should get enhanced bennies!

OhIIICobra

Established Member
lol. not true. out budget goes up yet again this year.

How is it not true? :??:

They absolutely are targeting tricare and an overhaul of the existing 20 year retirement system with the debt reduction panel. :poke:

Users who are viewing this thread