Opinions wanted:How much higher will HP go?

Spanishfly

Established Member
With the new Cobra and Lightning coming out with 500+ horses, how high is this HP war going to go? I mean if you think about it after they are out and have been out for 5 years, people are pretty much comfortable with life if you have one. There'll be the new Z06 w/ 500, I think the GTO will get 400HP by then, the Camaro will be back with atleast 400-450, I don't care Chevy will bring that car back.

Eventually things will hit the 500HP mark and then what? We're standing around looking at each other because a 600HP stock car sounds good. IMO the government will pull the plug by then, and things will go south, but not as bad but right back down to 350HP for a "fast"car. Anyways what do I know, this was just a topic of conversation in the office here. What do you guys think?:burnout:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by dgussin1
remember the 70's and the gas crunch...
Exactly, and I just heard a rumor that the new SVT Cobra will have a detuned version of the GT motor that will produce 190 hp at the crank. Ford is hoping to squeeze some performance out of this motor by developing a new 10-speed tranny. Stay tuned! :lol1:

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
That was funny CobraBob:p

People who are into cars have it better today than ever before. With technology and computer tuning the cars made today will DESTROY just about anything made in the 60's or 70's. There are a few exceptions but contrary to popular belief the cars from the factory made in the 60's and 70's were really not that fast.

How long will this last? I don't know. I hope for a while as long as I have my obsession with fast cars. It's a good time to be a gear head!! :beer: :beer:

fatcobra

Established Member
I think it will last as long as engineers can figure out how to keep their mileage numbers above the gas gussler charges. I mean look at a vette, 400 hp and 30 mpg. If Ford and Dodge can keep close to that mark the war will go on, if they did to sub 20 mpg, game over.

White04Cobra

Established Member
I think the HP war may come to an end soon. That was one of the reasons I bought my '04. Instead of waiting for the '05 with the new body style.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Chonger
That was funny CobraBob:p

People who are into cars have it better today than ever before. With technology and computer tuning the cars made today will DESTROY just about anything made in the 60's or 70's. There are a few exceptions but contrary to popular belief the cars from the factory made in the 60's and 70's were really not that fast.

How long will this last? I don't know. I hope for a while as long as I have my obsession with fast cars. It's a good time to be a gear head!! :beer: :beer:
You're so right. I grew up with cars in the 60s and well remember the muscle cars that seemed so quick then but by today's standards (with cars like the Z06, Viper, Cobra, etc.) were not only slower, but had much lower overall performance. Which is to be expected. But I also remember the mid-late 70s when the muscles in the muscle cars atropied and we were stuck in the 170-200 range. Hopefully we'll never see that again. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread