opnions needed about a job

bmyles

Established Member
Hey all, I need some opinions from unbiased people about a job offer I just got. I applied for job a few weeks ago as a welder with a national pipeline company and got a job offer from them a week ago. Currently I am a welder at a petro chemical plant which I have been at for 8 years, but its getting kinda old (the job).
My wife works for the other company and she does a fair bit of traveling to and from sites about 1 1/2 each way 3-4 times a week, for which she is paid generously for in my opinion. We have 4 kids under 10 and I understand that she wants to spend more time with them, but in the same token she could work within 20 minuets of home but chooses not to :shrug:.
Anyway the new job would require us to move a couple of hours away, work a 9 on 5 off with being out of town for the 9 days, 2 weeks less vaction and a 18000 dollar a year pay cut. I currently work 4 10 hour shifts and am home every night.
The way I see it shes the only one benefiting from this because she dosent have to travel as much to the job she wants. The kids are settled in here at school with friends and don't want to move, not to mention we would be almost doubling our debt with the new house and such for less income.
I obviously don't want to move, but let me have it am I being a selfish prick here by not wanting to move:beer:

forbanger

Established Member
So you mentioned all the negatives. The biggie is 2 weeks less vacation and $18K less.
Why did you even apply for it?

If the wife is making $100K more than you then I would do it. If not, it would kind of be a dumb move.

bmyles

Established Member
So you mentioned all the negatives. The biggie is 2 weeks less vacation and $18K less.
Why did you even apply for it?

If the wife is making $100K more than you then I would do it. If not, it would kind of be a dumb move.

Well at the time there was no actual vacation or money in the job posting and it was our understanding it was a few odd jobs out of town not your going to be gone somewhere in Canada for 9 days for sure every two weeks. I only found out the money and vacation part at the interview and the 9 and 5 deal like two days before the interview. Thanks to everybody that replied :)

Last edited:

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
You have 4 small kids and your wife is working all the time. How cruel to them.

Keep your good paying job. 18k is too much to lose.

oneslo5.0

Established Member
So let me get this right....

You have to buy a new house
Sink into more debt
Make LESS money
Move away from friends
Less vacation time
Less time with your children

So PLEASE explain how this is even a thought still...........?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
OP, you are in a tough spot unless your wife is one of the rare (10% or less) of females who is level headed and can properly analyze pros/cons of a situation.

She's going to get more and more resentful about her extremely minor traveling when you tell her you and the family are not moving. It would be a step in the wrong direction in every way (salary, vacation, debt, friends/family), except that she won't have to commute as far.

Let's say that you do give in and move. Your children may or may not adjust well to a new school halfway through the year. Physically moving your stuff is not a fun process, especially with children. Next time your family wants a vacation, guess what, you can't do it because you make less money, have less vacation and have more household debt.

If you are the primary breadwinner, you stay where you are at, PERIOD!

Users who are viewing this thread