Ordered Cobra R brakes today; hoping this happens less often!

sleepless

Established Member
This rotor had 2 track days on it. I've got brake ducts and am using HT10 pads. I'm hoping the R calipers provide better braking so I'm not on the brakes so long, heating up the rotors.

Evidence that the stock PBR's are weak: I've never been able to lock them up with 275 Toyo RA's or Nitto NT01s. I'm hoping the R's have enough power to lock 'em up!

Here is my pretty crack!
498703914_43861a5216_o.jpg

sleepless

Established Member
spdfrkFL said:
you won't be able to lock up the Brembo's either, not with the ABS.

I meant "engage ABS". "lock 'em up" is a colloquialism :)

So, I can't get the stockers to "engage ABS"!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
If you spend some time and properly season your rotors driving on the street with street pads for a few hundred miles/a couple weeks, you will eliminate a MAJORITY of your cracking issues.

FWIW

YMMV

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

sleepless

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
If you spend some time and properly season your rotors driving on the street with street pads for a few hundred miles/a couple weeks, you will eliminate a MAJORITY of your cracking issues.

Agreed, good advice. I had to do a relatively short seasoning on the rotor that cracked. This time I have two weeks before the next track event. I got a second set of rotors which I'll season in the next two week gap so the spares will also be seasoned.

Cobra-R brakes were a cinch to install. I like how they increase the swept area of the rotors; makes me more confident they'll actually improve the braking performance over stock.

507222110_59d85123db_o.jpg

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
sleepless said:
Agreed, good advice. I had to do a relatively short seasoning on the rotor that cracked. This time I have two weeks before the next track event. I got a second set of rotors which I'll season in the next two week gap so the spares will also be seasoned.

Cobra-R brakes were a cinch to install. I like how they increase the swept area of the rotors; makes me more confident they'll actually improve the braking performance over stock.

Season on the street with the Galpher pads.

You will see a nice improvement in braking with those! :-D

What pads do you plan on running on the track?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
sleepless said:
I run HT10s in the front and Blues in the back.

Good combo. Make sure you bed the HT-10's as stated on the yellow card included with the pads. VERY important. ESPECIALLY with Ht-10's!

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
a lot of it is technique. it took me a while to stop dragging my foot on the brake, but once i did, my corner entry speed went up and so did my confidence. my brake pad consumption went down.

got cooling ducts?
edit: duh look at the picture, john

locking the brakes means your tires lost traction, not that your brakes grab well. i rarely encounter my abs on the track. when i feel it kicking in, it usually means i went in way too hot/braked way too late and am standing on the brake pedal trying to save it. this is with ht10 up front, and blue in back.

Bruce, have you tried ht14 with these calipers?

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
a lot of it is technique. it took me a while to stop dragging my foot on the brake, but once i did, my corner entry speed went up and so did my confidence. my brake pad consumption went down.

This is an area I need to work on. I need to get off my ass and get these ducts in!!! :)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
ShelbyGuy said:

Yes I have John, but I really didn't give them a fair shake. I did not notice a huge difference in them from the HT-10's.

Hawk has some new compounds. DTC 60's and 70's. I didn't get a chance to try them. I really do like the PF-01's I'm running on the R now! :-D

TroyV said:
This is an area I need to work on. I need to get off my ass and get these ducts in!!! :)

Cobra + Racetrack and no brake cooling!! :nono:

TroyV

Established Member
I know, I know.. I'll get it done in time for the next event..

racebronco2

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
locking the brakes means your tires lost traction, not that your brakes grab well. i rarely encounter my abs on the track. when i feel it kicking in, it usually means i went in way too hot/braked way too late and am standing on the brake pedal trying to save it. this is with ht10 up front, and blue in back.

when i feel the abs activating it is a reminder that i need to slow down a little, i am using metallic kelvar brake pads from a place in canada.

sleepless

Established Member
re: getting into ABS. I like to threshold brake so just before ABS is kicking in. My point is that the stock brakes aren't strong enough to engage ABS so I have to conclude the stopping distance is not as short as it could be (obtained via threshold braking). It is definitely longer than other cars I've driven.

re: source for pads. I get mine from Maximum. I have a new set of front Hawk Blues for the stock brakes if anyone is interested.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Cracked rotors are not a function of caliper quality, but of rotor quality, cooling, and braking technique. (as John stated)

Experiement with brake pad brands and compounds, they make all the difference in the world

Brian

sleepless

Established Member
Cobra-R said:
Cracked rotors are not a function of caliper quality, but of rotor quality, cooling, and braking technique. (as John stated)

Indeed. I changed calipers to get the greater swept area of the pads with these calipers vs stock; not because of quality of the calipers.

TroyV

Established Member
5 minute pad changes don't hurt either. :)

I have typically gotten my pads direct from Carbotech, but I felt like trying hawk HT10's and went to MM for them.

Users who are viewing this thread