Over heating problems

ICEMAN9648

Established Member
Ok so about a year ago I replaced my stock fan with a JLP electric fan. While sitting at a light one day The truck began to over heat. This had never happened with the stock fan. So I pulled over, let the truck cool back off, and was on my way. Just to ensure the fan was kicking on early enough I hard wired it to a switch in the cab. And would turn it on as soon as operating temps were reached. I never had to sit in very much traffic out in South Dakota so it wasn't a huge issue. Now back on the east coast traffic has become a way of life again and even with the fan on the truck will overheat.

Will replacing the stock water pump with the Cobra R pump possibly solve my problems? Or do I just need to bite the bullet and get another fan? If so which have you guys found to work the best? I've also tried the royal purple ICE additive in the coolant to no avail.

Maybe a radiator flush is in order?

Last edited:

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
You sure the fan is blowing the air in the right direction? Read that it could happen, honest mistake.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Have you checked your T-stat to make sure its working right. Just pull it out and drop it in boiling water to see if it opens up all the way.

I'D WIN

Established Member
I would replace the thermostat and the cap. You may also have air in your system which will greatly reduce the cooling characteristics and possibly give you overheating problems.

ICEMAN9648

Established Member
I'D WIN said:
I would replace the thermostat and the cap. You may also have air in your system which will greatly reduce the cooling characteristics and possibly give you overheating problems.

And if I had air in my system, how would I go about bleeding it out?

ICEMAN9648

Established Member
nodaksvt said:
i would check it again.....just incase

Bob was right. I'm just a moron. :burn: The fan was facing the proper direction , but spinning the wrong way. I switched the wires and got it going the correct direction. This should solve my long term overheating problems. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread