Over my head

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Hey Guys:

Here I am, thinking a radiator replacement and ALL cooling lines is going to be a bang zoom job. NOT!!!

It appears I'm going to have to take the intake off to get at the cooling hose that runs under there. It looks intimidating but I guess I just have to jump in with both feet, roll my sleeves up and get busy. Any advice?

Will this disassembly allow me to replace the plug wires? what about getting at the rear plugs?

There is also a large hose (about 1" dia.) that exits out of the rear of the thermostat housing. How do you get this off? Do I remove that casting bolted onto the block? I guess that once I get some more disassembly going I may get a better look at it.

Anyone with any experience here that could give me some advice would be greatly appreciated!:thumbsup: :beer:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
BAh, its not that bad ;-) The first time I took my intake off, it took us about 1 1/2hrs. Now, I can get it off in about 15-30 minutes depending. Just take your time the first time. There are about 3 hoses under the TB and I think 2/3 need to come off. It will make changing the plugs/wires a whole helluva lot easier with it off. Also, before you get into pull you plug wires off the plugs to see if you have oil in the plug wells, if so, nows the time to get a new valve cover set and replace the spark plug tube seals as well. As for the radiator....haven't had to tackle that one yet :) Let me know how it all goes!

SteedaSVT

Established Member
Hey i changed My radiator and my ac condensor after i destroied a deer with my 95.
I kept all the hoses though
The bottom hose where it attacts to the engine is a pain to get back on. Radiator is a snap to put in even with a messed up Core support.

I think i made a how to before and saved it ill look for it if you want me too.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Hey Guys:

I was under and over that damn car all day. First it was too high, then too low, what a FPITA!!:cryying: The intake was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be to get off. I pulled the TB off and put it in a plastic bag on top of the left side strut tower. But, the heater hoses, those two housings, one thermostat, and one heater hose return that bolts onto the rear head, OMG major painage there!!:bash: And the gasket scraping :gt:

Now I need parts from the Ford dealer, intake set, gaskets for those two housings, plugs, wires and on and on. This is the exact reason I quit working on cars for a living 30 years ago. I should have had Doug at Performance Plus do this FOR me. This is way more than I like to tackle myself. I just had a tiny amount of oil in the plugwells. I'll bet it's been about 6 years since Doug did my 60K so I'm not going to go any deeper into this bastich than I already am!!

But the good news is I feel more in tune with my car now. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that this friggin' thing runs when I'm done:lol: I can't believe all of the wires and hoses it takes to make this engine run :shrug:

There is a hose (that I thought was a coolant hose, because someone from another list told me there were 3 TB coolant hoses, it appears there are only two small ones) that goes from the TB to the valley under the intake. It's a 1/2" hose and it appears to be some sort of a crankcase ventilation hose. Is that what it is? It is pretty brittle and I think I should replace it. Should be interesting putting a new one on there. I'm sure it will require a "trick".

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll be giving you another progress update once I get more parts.

That SVT Focus is looking more and more attractive all the time.

;-)

Last edited:

SteedaSVT

Established Member
If i still had my Csvt i would drive down there to help you since your not to far from me. BUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTT i don't anymore.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by RTStabler51
Nooooooooooo dn't you dare ditch the SHO for the FSVT!!!

BTW check out www.1stfordparts.com or www.shonutperformance.com ;-)

Yeah, I talk big Ryan, if it came right down to it I wouldn't be able to part with her. Getting this deep into these projects sometimes gets frustrating.

Originally posted by SteedaSVT
If i still had my Csvt i would drive down there to help you since your not to far from me. BUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTT i don't anymore.

Steed:

Thanks for the offer :thumbsup:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Well, another Saturday spent bent over and crawling under the SHO. Got it all back together and the radiator in and filled with coolant (hey surprise, no leaks; yet!) but I have not started it yet. Damn this job was a PITA :cryying:

Oh, check out this: When I ordered the plug wires the parts guy gave me the price for the SLO set. Then, when I went to pick them up, he started apologizing like crazy and said "I'm sorry I mis-quoted you on the plug wires, the price I gave you was for the regular 3.0, so I'll give you a special discount on them. They are regularly $225 I'll give them to you for $100" I almost crapped my pants! I said "DUDE....Sweet!"

So all I have left to do is install the front brake hoses and suck all the air out of the brake lines and flush the system out. Then I get to install my new slicers with new tires and drive that thing once again. That is if it starts? ;-)

I'll post a photo once I have her rolling again.

Thanks for the help and encouragement everybody!!

Thinking of a name for my SHO:thumbsup: :coolman:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
*...waits for the pics...*

Ryan:

I'm bleeding brakes now and don't have my camera here so sit tight. I haven't forgotten.:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Maybe a couple more days!!:rolleyes:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Ryan:

I didn't do the brake upgrade yet!! Just the brake hoses for now. I had dragging brakes and the rear hoses were pinching off. I'm goona save the brake upgrade for some other time when I get my patience back!

I tried putting the wheels on tonight and found out I need different lug nuts. :bash: :mj: The basketwave nuts are too long and I need those crappy short ones now!:gt:

So!!!!! It's STILL not together YET!!:cryying: But I'm working on it!:bash: :rollseyes

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
thats odd, i used the same lugs i had with my baskets on my slicers.......

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
thats odd, i used the same lugs i had with my baskets on my slicers.......

Ryan:

Here is the photo of a basketweave lug nut on the slicer. My guess is that it's about 5/8" or 3/4" too long for the center hub to go on.

I am on a hunt for lug nuts and I have one strike on me now.

I'll keep you posted.

Bruce

SteedaSVT

Established Member
Bruce,
Just run those lug nutz until you can find someother ones....

Get the car running and find out how you did with your project.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Steed:

Well, we just got about 4" of snow so the car isn't going anywhere for a while. It's resting peacefully.

I wanted to get a photo of the car with the new wheels on it and without the center caps would be a futile exercise :(

I'm in no hurry so I'll just take my time finding some lug nuts that will work. It's nice having a big shop and plenty of back-up vehicles just for times like this! :coolman:

SteedaSVT

Established Member
We didn't get any snow up here. hmmmmm wierd.

Well i might be moving to Wisconsin soon. Marinette right on the boader just like i am now but in a diff spot.
Also thinking about getting an SHO again. I just miss the sleeper from hell that the SHO is. In about 2 weeks im picking up my project contour SVT soo if you ever wanna head up when im working on it just give a holler. Im gonna try to do something really silly with it. Can't wait to see if it works.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Steed:

I have projects coming out of my ears right now. If I retired today and worked 40 hours a week on my projects, I'm not sure they would all be completed in my lifetime!;-)

A project I have had in the works for about 23 years is an RC 1/5th scale Atlas Van Lines Unlimited Hydroplane boat that is over 60" long and is powered by a 70cc 2 stroke engine. The project is started but not nearly completed. I seem to have more important pressing projects on my plate. Like my Cobra "R" project right now. I have diverted all of my focus on that right now. I'm looking forward to having a he// of a good time this summer with it. :beer: :thumbsup: :coolman:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
It's ALIVE

Hey Guys:

Good News!! I found some lug nuts and got my slicers on, FINALLY!!! She's a looker now:thumbsup:

She started right up (suprised the crap out of me :-D ) and I took a few photos of the old gal.

I've got no leaks and I took it for a ride to burb the cooling system. I forgot how much fun that car was to drive. :coolman:

It's a good thing I don't do this for a living I would lose my A$$!! I guess I'm too much of a perfectionist.

It's nice to drive that car without the brakes dragging intermittently once again.

Here is a photo of the completed project. The only thing I have left to do is the front brake upgrade which will be another time (maybe next winter).

:beer: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread