Overhauling

frankin

Established Member
I was wondering how people feel about the show, "overhauling", and if it is staged or real. I like the show, because you get to see the total reconstruction of a vehicle, and learn a few things. I also believe that it is a good thing doing this for people that are not wealthy. On American Hotrod, Boyd is usually doing a build for the very rich. I have nothing against being rich. Everyone wants to be there. I just think it's a nice thing to do for people that would normally be unable to afford it.

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
frankin said:
I just think it's a nice thing to do for people that would normally be unable to afford it.
Is that show still on? I quit watching it after the Lance Armstrong GTO and the 05 Mustang GT... but the nail in the coffin was the civic. :xpl:

frankin

Established Member
grimreefer said:
Is that show still on? I quit watching it after the Lance Armstrong GTO and the 05 Mustang GT... but the nail in the coffin was the civic. :xpl:

They do all kinds, usually older, 50s/60s models. I just like to see the new products on the market they use, engines, suspension..etc.

I never saw them do an import.

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
IIRC, it was a '95 civic and the show was called "Tuner Car". :nonono:

I loved the show when it was about doing a classic resto-mod for those that would never be able to afford it themselves. If they've returned to that format, I might have to check it out again.

theokill

Established Member
Overhauling? I like it. IMO it is not staged unless they have professional actors/actresses playing the "victims". Chip Foose seems to be a pretty cool guy who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty.

Boyd Coddington, on the other hand, is a complete A$$HOLE. I would like to see one of his workers stomp his guts out after one of his outbursts. Effing jerkoff.

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
Chip Foose is great, and so is his work... No matter what car its on.

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
I like the show, I couldnt believe that douche sold that 05 mustang. I also like that show "trick my truck" on CMT, they do awesome stuff to them big rigs. Im not a redneck trucker i just like what they look like when theyre done.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
I like to watch it to see what kind of aftermarket products they use, and the type of work they do. Pretty much what everyone else says. I also like seeing the condition of someones car, and then seeing how it ended up. It maybe staged, but atleast the original owner gets a nice car out of the deal, whether it was a surprise or not.

The one thing I don't like personally is putting all the "bling" on the cars, specfically the wheels. Something about a 69 GTO with 20'' Chrome wheels that just doesn't fit right in my mind, for example. Not to say his work or his wheels are bad, I just think they should use less "bling". Chip Foose is by far one of the best.

American Hot Rod, I never particullary cared for it. I did like the episode when they were putting together that guys high horsepower C2 Corvette, that was pretty cool.. other than that, typical bandwagon reality show; real or not, it kinda gets old after a while, not necessarily the cars but the people. You just know Boyd is going to flip out with his Hawaiian T-shirts, and then Dwayne is going to get pissed off at someone. It would appear you have to have top dollar in order to get American Hot Rod to build you something, or even buy something from them. Im sure it's not always the case, but from what I can tell.

In short, I'd rather watch Overhaulin' than American Hot Rod.

Mport_KLR

just a gt;)
Established Member
Yeah that civic episode was pretty bad. The rims on that car looked HUGE. For the most part its a good show. The last episode with the charger pissed me off. That skinny, pale, "im gunna go home and cut myself", emo kid didnt know a damn thing about his car. He was just like ".....uh its really nice."

'01 Bolt

Close The Borders!!
Established Member
F8LBITEva said:
I like the show, I couldnt believe that douche sold that 05 mustang. I also like that show "trick my truck" on CMT, they do awesome stuff to them big rigs. Im not a redneck trucker i just like what they look like when theyre done.
The thing about "Trick My Truck" is that they bring some real shit boxes to fix up, but NEVER talk about or show any engine work. Thats the first thing you need to do is tear into the engine of a million mile big truck...and they get Way carried away with stupid shit in thier builds, like the waterfall they put in that womans truck??? not practical.. especially if it gets the miles they make it out to.. IMO

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
OKC03Cobra said:
There is another show called "Wrecks to Riches" thats pretty good, too.

That show is OK, but I just can't get past Barry White's personallity - what a tool! He gets warned about a problem then chews someones ass when it come to pass, just like they said it would. He just seems a little 'off' for TV consumption.

Herb

Last edited:

SVT04

Established Member
Overhaulin is the best automotive rebuild and modification show on the air. It is real and the builds they do are top notch. In a recent show, (in spite of another tool on here criticizing them for not showing engine work) they overhaul a marines (Alonso's) 70 Chev half ton. As he was attached to the engine because his dad built and installed it they went through the rebuild of the engine and yes they did show it and went with more ponies and dress-up items during the build as well. The episode was one just a few moments ago....(May 6..) In other cases they don't have to show the build as they buy a built engine or have brand new crate motors to install.

The builds they do are thorough and complete, they do not cut corners and nothing is hidden.

Chip Foose is a gentleman and one of the nicest down to earth people you could hope to meet. He is talented in a way that some people in the custom car business only wish they were.
I agree that Boyd Coddington is an ass.

audioqueso

Established Member
SVT04 said:
Overhaulin is the best automotive rebuild and modification show on the air.

The builds they do are thorough and complete, they do not cut corners and nothing is hidden.

I second that. I love the fact that they really work on the car and make it a quality car once again. Not like Pimp My Ride or any of those that spend $60k on TVs and don't touch the motor at all. lol

The SEMA special was great. Anyone see that one where the team got Chip's old truck?

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
SVT04 said:
(in spite of another tool on here criticizing them for not showing engine work)

I think that "tool" was refering to a different show...

[QUOTE='01 Bolt]The thing about "Trick My Truck" is that they bring some real shit boxes to fix up, but NEVER talk about or show any engine work. Thats the first thing you need to do is tear into the engine of a million mile big truck...and they get Way carried away with stupid shit in thier builds, like the waterfall they put in that womans truck??? not practical.. especially if it gets the miles they make it out to.. IMO[/QUOTE]

Chip is the man - the best thing he did was to split from that pompus ass-clown Boyd. The second best thing he did was to continue to steal Boyd's most talented folks.

Herb

03CobraBro

Established Member
I watched one this morning where they redid an older chevy pickup for a guy that had just got back from Iraq. Looked pretty good. I also noticed that the guy had a very clean LX 5.0 notch parked in the driveway too but you could only see it from the side. Too bad they didnt overhaul that one.

Users who are viewing this thread