Overheated, what's the modern cooling mod?

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
What's up guys. Haven't signed in for a long time. Long story short cobra overheated and pressure test showed cooling mod on back of passenger side head was leaking from fitting itself, not from hoses going to it. Anyway, now I have to get to that thing by removing the transmission, which of course means removing LT and therefore dropping k member...

Anyway, what is the modern day version of these cooling mods, I know the older version like mine that goes into the back of the head is outdated but maybe there are better companies making it now. Just wanted some opinions as I look up the options. Also, anything else that u guys think may help.

Soap

Established Member
Nope, same thing still works. All you are doing is allowing the coolant flow to continue from the driver side head to the passenger head and complete the loop, otherwise the coolant gets deadheaded in the driver head and overheats.

Just fix what you have, no reason to rethink it. I've been running the same cooling mod for 15 years.

--Joe

ctgreddy

Established Member
Assuming you're still a 6speed there should be no reason to remove headers for the trans removal. I even got my 4r70 in with both kooks inplace, altho it was not easy.

Anyways, if you're replacing the whole thing I just installed a cobra engineering piece in a customers car with their hoses/fittings and it was top notch. Great quality and fitment.

However that said, you dont really need that mod to begin with. Lots of people may disagree but it's basically a piece of mind part. People say the heat without one will discolor the head, drop valve seats, cause 7 & 8 to run hotter and detonate. My cars got over 100k miles with over 700whp and never had an issue without one. And I know of many others in the same situation as me. But with that said, I'm not sure how easy it would be to put a freeze plug back in the head so cant blame you at all for fixing/replacing it.

IllCobra

Established Member
Assuming you're still a 6speed there should be no reason to remove headers for the trans removal. I even got my 4r70 in with both kooks inplace, altho it was not easy.

Anyways, if you're replacing the whole thing I just installed a cobra engineering piece in a customers car with their hoses/fittings and it was top notch. Great quality and fitment.

However that said, you dont really need that mod to begin with. Lots of people may disagree but it's basically a piece of mind part. People say the heat without one will discolor the head, drop valve seats, cause 7 & 8 to run hotter and detonate. My cars got over 100k miles with over 700whp and never had an issue without one. And I know of many others in the same situation as me. But with that said, I'm not sure how easy it would be to put a freeze plug back in the head so cant blame you at all for fixing/replacing it.

^^^ If that is the case, may i suggest he go with Lethal's head cooling mod instead since it's about $200 cheaper and if there ever is another leak, it will be much easier to get to.

Also, what year is your cobra, ctgreddy? If it's a 2003, is it one of the early year models and did it come with the DA heads? I ask because mine was built in Oct/2002 and I wish one of the previous owners did the head cooling mod (or at least took the damn thing in to get the updated heads installed for free by Ford) since mine ended up dropping a valve seat at 60k miles - due to the extra heat from not having an exit for the coolant I honestly don't know, but it sure as hell cant hurt since I read somewhere that Ford put an exit for the coolant in the GT500s.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
HERE IS some additional info on the Lethal Performance (Even Flow) kit and the MMR kit. Also info there on upgrading the Even Flow kit with AN fittings and stainless steel braided hose.

IllCobra

Established Member
HERE IS some additional info on the Lethal Performance (Even Flow) kit and the MMR kit. Also info there on upgrading the Even Flow kit with AN fittings and stainless steel braided hose.
Hey Bob, do you have a link on how to upgrade the fittings and hose to Lethal's cooling mod? The link on your site is not working

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread