Owners Question Poll

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
Well I can't search at work on any topic so I figured I'd make a poll..

Who has owned both a 03-04 Cobra and a GT500?

As some of you may know I ran into some family problems with my kids and a possible growing family on top of that... So as the process goes of selling my parts and thinking of selling the cobra I start to make plans for a couple years into the future....

Do I want to get another Cobra or get a GT500.....

So the questions are....

Who has owned both a 03-04 Cobra and a GT500?

Yes and I have never looked back...

Yes and I miss my Cobra but I'm happier now...

Yes and I would have been just as happy with my cobra...

Yes and I wish I would have never bought the GT500...

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
Well I guess I can't go to the second page to post a poll at work now either... Our computers are really getting tight on what they block. Ho well, if you would can you post an answer.

Thanks

SLGT750

Established Member
I had an 03 Cobra and am very happy with my 07. I still like the looks of the Termi but the GT500 is a much more refined car and easier to drive. The hydraulic clutch is nicer to the leg in traffic.

chuckstang

Established Member
I think there was only one guy that used to be a member that liked his Term better, but I think it was proven he was an idiot and or a fake

skyhighsd

Established Member
I have had both, if I would have had the garage space at the time I would have kept it. Now that I do have room again I am toying with the idea of another one. They both have there strong points.

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
Me too..had 98, 04 and now 09 GT500...I love all of them..and if I can find a way..I am getting another 04 and 98 to park beside my 09! I want them all!!

I am working to get rid of my BMW now..and get something cheap for DD..and start collecting Cobra's!

Red10thcv

Established Member
Old Guy from 70's.

Get what you like and what you can afford because if you can't afford it than you'll probably have to sell it down the road. But, I was in the same situation many years ago and have to sell my '69 GT350 Shelby CV and '70 Boss 302 Dragpack with 4.30 gears+oil cooler because of wanting a home. Just hope you'll be lucky enough to get back on track as soon as possible.

03 Mach 1 with 4.10s for the track!
03 Cobra 10thcv for the great south-Texas weather!!
07 GT500 for the thrill of the ride!!!

Saving up money for 70 GT/Shelby CV but having a hard time with all the mods on the other three cars. 70 will only be garage/parade car.

breoland

Established Member
ive had an 04 screaming yellow cobra and now my 09 red with white stripe gt500.
some differences i have noticed is the the gt500 everyone stops and stares. if you are not a mustang person you could almost pass off an 04 as a 6cyl stang
next all the issues the 03/04 had as for head cooling mod and the irs with wheel hop, even though the irs handles nicely on the corners
you can make power with the both of them but its up to u to decide what route you want to go with...if you are going to keep them for looks and keep them stock, id say keep the gt500.

GTJim

Established Member
I had an '03 kb cobra previous and absolutely loved it, it was my 2nd favorite car ever!

Last edited:

kent1

Established Member
The 2008 GT 500 was the first Ford I have ever purchased. Mainly was GM person till GM quick making camaro's so I joined the Ford Generation. Plus I likes the looks of the 500 and easy to mod for power.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Owner of both. See sig.

The '04 is lighter and more 'sporty' on the ever-familiar Fox platform. It squeeks, rattles, moans and drives like a Fox. It has more of a "c'mon drive me hard" white knuckled feel overall and is much more 'mechanical' and not isolated like the new car. You WILL have to upgrade some things (IRS, clutch, cooling crossover/h.e./etc.).

The S197 is BIGGER and feels like you're driving a gentleman's sedan instead of a sports car. It has more room everywhere. You SIT in it instead of WEARING it like the '04. More room all around; QUIET by comparison. Has a semi-isolated feel though with all the soft bushings and Hydromount control arm bushings/engine mounts really isolate things. The car is smoother, tighter, rides better, *can* handle better, and the 5.4 really makes some nice part throttle torque that is easily enjoyed in daily driving.

If I could only own one, it would prob. be the '04 just because I like the Fox despite it's shortcomings and some sentimental value.

But, if I had a family and needed room or was going to live with it daily; the '09 gets the nod hands down for being a better all around car. If you're planning for a couple years down the road, you should be able to find one easier than a well kept '03/4.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
I have had both, if I would have had the garage space at the time I would have kept it. Now that I do have room again I am toying with the idea of another one. They both have there strong points.

Hmm, what does the Cobra do better? Just curious

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
Thanks for all the replies!!! I love my 03 Vert but this a down the road plan. I love both cars and it would be a hard decision for me.

It's kinda sounding like I have a chance to be moved to Las Vegas in the Air Force and it will be a more or less daily driver. If I decide to do this I think I will have to go with a coupe this time. So the 500's don't have all the Cobraisims (head cooling, steering creaking, so on)? How do they run against the 03-04's?

Thanks again for all the info, I hope everyone has a Merry Chirstmas....

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
As far as an 03/4 vs. '500 running with each other; bank on the new car needing about 120RHP over the 03/4 to keep up with it. Extra weight and more frontal area aren't kind.

Steering creaks aren't there; but the upper strut mount is notoriously weak and can deflect/make noise/break.

Head cooling is 'ok'; but you'll have to upgrade the heat exchanger ASAP and if you move to LV I'd do the Revan radiator as well.

boo00st

Established Member
had an 03 now i have an 07 gt500. the gt500 just drives a hell of a lot better than the 03. but i love the way the 03 cobra looks. (not that the gt500 is a slouch)
my favorite cars for sheer enjoyment are
1. my turbo 1.8 ford festiva (12 sec car)
2. 07 gt500 (10 sec car)
3. 03 cobra (11 sec car)

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
James,

Sorry to hear about the issues you're going through. Hope it all works out for you. As an owner of both I can tell you first hand that the 03-04 no where near as nice as the 2010. Ride quality, styling, features, interior comfort are several things that have been way improved. Even from the 04 to 05 model year there was a noticeable difference. I thought my 08' GT500 was the king until I got my 2010.

None the less who knows what the future has for us. All it takes is 1 year for there to be major changes. By the time you may be ready to step into the game again that model year may be several steps ahead of where the 2010 is now.

Good luck in whatever you do and thanks for all of your support.

Jared

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Yes and I miss my Cobra but I'm happier now...

the 5.4 is a much better and stronger engine. the good old saying, no replacement for displacement

Users who are viewing this thread