Owning multiple cars/toys

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a '13 Roush Stage 3, car barely is used. Only has 3,0XX miles on it. Great car, I love it. I have a '16 Ram Sport 4X4, regular cab as my daily driver.
I was thinking of adding a '17 Hellcat Charger at one point. But, it would really be a waste of money. It would have to sit out in the driveway year round as I have a 1 car garage for the Roush and it would only be used on nice sunny days instead of the truck. A sure waste of money. (Excise tax and big monthly payment.)
Would I like to,......absolutely.
Is it worth the time and all the extra effort in making it sure it is safe during the winter months/crappy weather? I don't think so. Not worth the extra stress.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
We're working on reducing our fleet and just having a couple really nice things we actually get out and use. There comes a point that you have so much junk that all your time and money is spent maintaining it instead of enjoying it.

4a7191a

Established Member
Buy one pay it off and keep it. Repeat the process. :). Think of them as investments... Poor investments but still if you were in a bind , you could sale. Or use as collateral on a loan even.
I used my mach1 as collateral on a home improvement loan. Got the interest down to 1.9%. had a dishwasher pipe burst and kitchen remodels arnt the cheapest things to do.

I did sale one though :(
I woukd of kept my evo but after an offer was made that was exactly what I bought the car for a year and half previous I couldn't turn it away.

Fordfourlife

Established Member
Buy whatever makes you happy. I do agree that to much starts to become a maintenance headache.

46a940f9e77818480ac816c4e199b737.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the mustang to go with the DD, I debate getting another Lightning if its worth having a 2nd BS vehicle

RES0574

Established Member
I have 10 vehicles, and 2 boats. I only keep two vehicles at the house, my VA-DD (14 Raptor) when I am home, and my wife's Expedition as she was tired of the Ford dealership in the driveway. I restore classic Broncos (when I am not on a major project), so between the project vehicles and the toys, I ended up buying a small warehouse for the vehicles. With the current long term project, (going back and forth from RVA to PC-FL), my Mustangs are lucky to see two days a month on the road. I just keep them lifted and covered. I have the vehicles split where state inspections take place in either December or June. Personal property taxes are the only item that pains me in regards to having the vehicles.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I can not remember the last time all my toys were 100% operational and in the condition id like them to be.

With that said, it's a matter of how deep your pockets are. Either you can afford it or you cant. Either you can keep everything in good shape, you they have downtime while you save and life happens.

It really sucks to hear people get taxed on the # of vehicles you have. It seems you are being penalized for being successful.

If there was a place to ride atv/dirtbikes here, id strongly consider selling my truck to get more into it a lot more. I barely ride now. I no longer cut up in my truck like i used to. It's become quite boring.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Buy one pay it off and keep it. Repeat the process. :). Think of them as investments... Poor investments but still if you were in a bind , you could sale. Or use as collateral on a loan even.
I used my mach1 as collateral on a home improvement loan. Got the interest down to 1.9%. had a dishwasher pipe burst and kitchen remodels arnt the cheapest things to do.

I did sale one though :(
I woukd of kept my evo but after an offer was made that was exactly what I bought the car for a year and half previous I couldn't turn it away.

I've done that before as well. It's easy to take a couple car titles to the bank and walk out with $60,000, especially when buying real estate. Loans on land just keep getting harder and more expensive to get. The hassle just isn't worth it if you plan on flipping. I started re-fi'ing vehicles to quickly bank roll these short term projects. I deal with a couple small banks and they have gotten to the point that they don't even waste the time and money filing liens on the cars. The know they'll be getting their money back in less than a month.

Buy whatever makes you happy. I do agree that to much starts to become a maintenance headache.

46a940f9e77818480ac816c4e199b737.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

When it got to the point that I would have to start chasing down dead batteries and bad fuel I knew I had enough.

Never_Enough

Established Member
The most I've had at one time was 4. I have 3 now & even this is too much a lot of the time. Spend too much time doing mods or maintenance vs driving them. The Z06 will be gone this weekend, but with all this nice weather here now I have been driving the Miata w/the top down & didn't even want to drive the Z06. I parked the MS6 & covered it a week ago as well since top down is clearly more fun. I say this, but I know I'll buy a 3rd car aka weekend toy again if I still have the Miata & MS6. I want another C6 or a 65-67 Chevelle. Plus I'm supposed to be buying my friend's Exploder this summer so I'll be up to 4 again. Why do I do this to myself?!

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I'm confused how you went from liking driving the yukon more than the mustang and the mustang being broken down, to "needless to say" you got rid of the yukon.

The Mustang wasn't broken down, I jump started it and started back driving it. While the Yukon was comfy as hell I had an attachment to the Mustang, crazy as it may sound I felt kinda bad at the time that when it didn't start. So shortly after that I sold the Yukon and drove went back to the Mustang as my DD/only car. I "got rid" of the Mustang 4 years ago for the SRT and haven't looked back. If I take a pic of the Mustang now you'd shake your head. It's been sitting for years. I'm thinking about selling the 01 Cobra front cover and Saleen wheels for some Bullitts and getting it back on the road.

VenomVeins

Established Member
In my case, I grew up with my parents having a stable of mostly 60's and early 70's muscle cars in good to pristine condition...probably 12-13 in all, most of which were rarely driven. I remember I'd hear my dad turn some of them over and have a battery charger for those that wouldn't. I saw firsthand just how much time and money needed to be spent on keep up. Eventually, they sold most of them off.

Because of that experience, the most i've had at once is 3 vehicles, and i've done it twice in my life. Being at the beach here in San Diego means space is at a premium, so I need to choose wisely.

As of now, I only have my 2012 IS350 and a beater SUV. I got an offer on the 'vette and sold it after it sat for a month due to the sheer comfort and fun of the Lexus.

Once that wears off, i'll look into a GT500 or Terminator.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I have 3 cars now, for two drivers. Its no problem. Once my wife is done with school, I will rebuild my mustang and then get another toy or two. I could see myself easily maintaining 4-5 vehicles plus quads/dirt bikes at a time. But I don't have a car older than 2001 currently. I may change my mind if I buy a couple classics lol.

wormriddle

Established Member
I dd a 16 CCSB Powerstroke and have a 14 GT/CS I barely drive, a 90 Skyline GTR I drive even less and an 86 C10 that's back halved, caged, etc that is my main toy. Right now I'm trying to sell the GTR and will probably sell the Mustang next. It's not that I don't enjoy having multiple vehicles so much as I don't enjoy them as much when I have only one toy.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
So, OP, I think the consensus here is that owning multiple toys is not as glamorous as it sounds or looks on TV.

RDLightning01

Young Svt Poster
Established Member
Plain and simple, Owning multiple vehicles is a hassle and a waste of money. Between me and my family we have a decent fleet. between oil changes, batteries, and basic upkeep is a chore to say the least.
Edit/update.
To add onto that. Between all the cars just to drive doesn't count the 3 boats. Race car. Bikes.
Something is always broke or needs maintenance. I'm constantly fixing stuff. And add registration/insurance to everything.

Last edited:

trxcobra

Established Member
Also agree that it is a burden at times.

My situation is probably a little bit unique - I was lucky enough to have my parents buy my '99 Cobra as a gift when I was 16. Of course I have put lots of money into it over the years but I am approaching the 10-year mark of ownership... I'll take that one to the grave.

The second toy is my Supra, which I basically purchased a couple years back as my "attainable" dream car. The car has appreciated since I bought it, and is likely to continue to do so. I can't say it was a wise choice to spend so much on a toy at this age, but I am also not a homeowner (yet) and have the disposable income to do so. My daily is an '08 Lexus GS350 (great car).
I do not plan on adding any other cars to the lineup until I am more established/wealthy.

Giving both toys equal attention can be a nuisance sometimes - on top of insurance costs and whatnot. Sometimes I wonder how much better of a financial position I would be in if I weren't a car guy.... Then I look at my cars and think, "What fun would that be?"

nxhappy

Established Member
is it wasting money on depreciating assets? Probably. But opening the garage door and seeing 2 Sneks: priceless

RustyRodder

Fauxbra powered
Established Member
Multiple vehicles can be nice, but not easy in the slightest if they are older/need work/lack storage.

I downsized a bit- down to 3 cars. But even that can be a lot. The chevelle is a good driver, but always needs a little of this or that. The mustang is modified, and needs a trans swap, which means I should do X and then Y and then Z since its out. And then the Jeep is a pit that I could never do again.

Doesn't help that I have an apartment with no garage- Chevelle and mustang have to stay at Dads, Jeep will be at stepdads place. I justify it since each one has its own use. And I always wanted a pickup.

But if you have time, patience, and space- go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread