p0420 code on factory tune? 14' GT

usnfenix

GM recall advisor
Established Member
brief history of the car, bought in 2014 GT, installed a vortech centri at 9k miles and had that and roush mufflers and a local tune, removed the SC after 4k miles due to moving to new location (military) and flashed back to factory tune with only a airaid intake tube and roush mufflers as only mods, drove the car 3400 miles across the country and been at my new location for about 2 weeks, now currently at 19k miles and just popped a P0420 cat code. i looked it up but it seems like most answers are about either getting this code after cat removal/exhaust mods or needing it tuned out. thing is the car is back on factory tune so that isnt it and the muffler swap 2 years ago certainly didnt cause this. The car seems to drive fine but i have noticed a ticking noise coming from the passenger side engine bay that (at least to me) has grown louder after the 3400 mile trip. I never noticed the ticking until after the last oil change just before the trip, did research and most people admit to a tick and that its no issue as these modulars are noisy.

any other ideas as to the cause of the P0420? could my brief supercharged time burnt up a cat a bit? or is this pointing to more of an exhaust leak but on 100% stock manifolds? intake mani was also never removed since it was a centrifugal install.

usnfenix

GM recall advisor
Established Member
More than likely it is a bad cat on bank 1.

If left for awhile what potential issues could this cause?

I have a pair of low mile stock cats sitting in my garage from a friends header install but i dont really have the time now to mess with my own cats

9TMAREEE

Established Member
Try double checking when you put your car back to the factory tune that your sct device is not in demo mode, I know I threw that same p0420 code when I uploaded my tune one time and after turning off demo mode problem solved

usnfenix

GM recall advisor
Established Member
Try double checking when you put your car back to the factory tune that your sct device is not in demo mode, I know I threw that same p0420 code when I uploaded my tune one time and after turning off demo mode problem solved

ive had the sctx4 for 2 years and used it to tune this car a few times i doubt that would be it but how do i check for demo mode regardless

also to update ive cleared it and it has not returned yet although its only been 1 day

5lho

Established Member
You probably melted the cat substrate with boost, happens alot if you're higher than the stock pulley and sometimes with it.

Users who are viewing this thread