Paint came off as I wipe wax off...

v8pwr

Established Member
I knew Ford paint sucks...but didn't think it was this bad.

When I was wiping wax off between the roof and side windows (that plastic piece (?) which runs from side mirror to rear of roof), I saw nice blue line on my wiping cloth. It came off from plastic piece side and not the roof.

It did this on BOTH driver and passender side.

My car is always parked inside and well taken care of.
Good thing I still have warranty left on it. :coolman:

Anybody ever had this problem? I heard of paint chip on hood, rocker panel, etc..., but never heard of this before.

v8pwr

Established Member
Tom's_03SVT said:
there is a bulletin on this too search it.
Tom

There is? I used search feature but only found TSB for hood paint chip. If you know it, please let me know.

v8pwr

Established Member
flyn high again said:
What kind of wax?

I used mother's wax. But I think type of wax doesn't matter because if I just wipe that section without any wax using terry cloth, or microfiber towel, the trace of blue line (my car is sonic blue) appears on cloth.

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member
OMG! This is NOT good news! I'm about to do a huge spring detailing and this just scared the shit out of me!! Please keep us up to date as to what becomes of this...Godspeed!!

-Mike

v8pwr

Established Member
SpectorV said:
if the clear coat didnt cover all of the area you will find color on your towels. Check for the TSB.

I couldn't find any TSB on this matter. I'll try and call local Ford to see what they gonna tell me.

Sonik Blur said:
OMG! This is NOT good news! I'm about to do a huge spring detailing and this just scared the shit out of me!! Please keep us up to date as to what becomes of this...Godspeed!!

-Mike

Perhaps you can try and wipe the area I metioned using terry cloth without using any wax. I just put light pressure and wiped the "piece" (not sure exactly what they are called) from front to about half way of roof and I had blue line on the towel.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
And people still wonder why I had my whole car repainted.

-Jeff

v8pwr

Established Member
CobraBob said:
There is a list of TSB on my website. http://stangshiftergaskets.com/News.htm

Sounds to me like the clear coat was too thin. I was very fortunate with my paint. It was very good.

Actually I already checked your website but couldn't find TSB related to my issue.
TSBs that "might" be related are 03-25-05, 03-10-01, and 02-16-07 but not exactly whats happening to my car.

As for paint on my car, they look pretty good except for the piece I mentioned. Is there a name for that piece???

rmgtc01

Established Member
That sucks!
I had the hood TSB done, and the paint is much more quality; alot thicker too.
IT covers the decklid and spoiler too, but I don't think that is what you have.
I would take it in anyways, becuase good customer service Fords or Linclons will do it for you anyways. IF not it should only be about 100-200 bucks ath the very most.

Users who are viewing this thread