Paint or not paint, that is the question.

Paint or Not Paint

• Total voters

slow98cobra

Established Member
Hey y’all heathens,

I’m curious on your opinions on a little paint work. I have a 24k mile 03 Cobra and it has a few rock chips on the hood and bumper that have been touched up. The car has never been in an accident or had damage other than those chips. It is a very well documented car since new including all original paperwork, brochures, tons of service records, etc. I like to go to car shows and really just cruise the car occasionally but the few chips bug me. I’m too freakin particular.

Alright cutting to the skinny. If I decided to put the car on the market in the future, would it be better to just leave it with a few touched up rock chips or document why I reshot the hood and bumper and get it done? Not sure I would sell it but don’t want to kill the value by having a hood and bumper painted over something minor.

Been around here for almost 15 years and don’t think I have ever tried a poll so what the hell, giving it a shot.

Pics of the car just because
IMG_4653.jpegIMG_5311.jpegIMG_5474.jpeg

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
The few rock chips touched up is still a factory paint job. Once it’s resprayed, it’s done and cannot be reversed.

I have two or three rock chips on my hood that are minor, but drive me crazy. Maybe some guys with more knowledge can chime in about a process to conceal the chips and then add a protective film to the front area of the car. I think rock chips were standard equipment on these cars.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
I had mine resprayed a few years back. I don't regret it at all. I daily drove it for 10 years or so (bought new in 2004).

I suppose it could affect a low low mileage cobra value. However I think in my case it makes me happy and looks really good and glossy after the respray. I didn't have any major damage or anything. Just some chips on the front. I think it turned out outstanding and when I take it out people comment how it looks brand new.

It cost me about $3000 to do the whole car (this was pre Joe Biden making everything expensive though).

I am happy. I don't to much worry about the resale of my Cobras though as it only matters if you ever plan to sell them....
12254.jpeg
12541.jpeg
Snapchat-803721340.jpeg
20190910_114406.jpeg
20210101_105016.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S916U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I don't ever plan on selling my cars, but you never know.

My 03 Roush only has around 7,500 miles on it. I do not like paint damage at all. The front bumper on my Roush was scraped on the curb once. And the bumper had a few rock chips also.

So, I had it repainted. I believe the low miles will out weigh any repainted front bumper in any possible future sale.

I say since you are not planning on selling, repaint it and be happy with it instead of living with rock chips on a car you might end up keeping anyway.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Repaint. Rock chips drive me nuts, if I was in the market I would rather have a nice looking hood and bumper than one with rock chips. My way of thinking is you wouldn't leave rock chips in the windshield just because it's a factory windshield so why leave rock chips in the hood?

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Unless it’s a bone stock car it wouldn’t matter to me. I would document everything, before and after pictures in case a future buy wanted to see them.

I’m the same way and will eventually have my low mile(non stock) car painted due to minor rock chips that bother the hell out of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I’m in the same boat but my car is more than a “few rock chips”. In your case, why spend the money. It won’t make up the money in resell.

Mine on the other hand…it’s getting resprayed at some point.

Last edited:

Redfire03

Established Member
Paint it... but only do it for your enjoyment and not any other reason. Your car is not going to be worth less because of it. Especially if its well documented, done well and by a competent shop.

I would argue you are better off doing it now than waiting before a sale too. When purchasing I'd rather have a car that was painted 3 years ago and is still showing well, vs something that was just done and may start showing issues/shortcuts in a year.

Last edited:

SsnakeSVT03

Established Member
You can touch it up all you want. Touch up paint will always stick out like a sore thumb. Doesn’t matter how much you wet sand. It never blends.

I am in the same boat as you OP, 27K miles on my 03 and my front bumper has minor rock chips as well which I touched up. They hid well and the average person won’t notice but I am very OCD and picky . I can tell where they were and they bug me. I will be getting my bumper resprayed so it matches the rest of the car “chip” free LOL

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I lean towards re-painting because I'm anal about chips myself. They always seem to compete for our attention. I especially hate windshield chips. Those small ones that stare straight back at you as you're driving. :eek::ROFLMAO:

slow98cobra

Established Member
This poll is a house divided! I’m seeing good arguments on both sides of the coin. It seems like some would want original paint only(and probably original hood, RIP Smiegel) and others would just want it sprayed and documented that the paint job was not due to an accident. Interested to see how far this goes and what the results are after a week.

LS WUT

Established Member
I’d say on some paint color they stick out hardcore. My black coupe and my GT500. They drive me up a wall when I see them. On the white coupe I don’t seem to notice them all that much. Depends on the angle I reckon. I’m very picking when it comes to detailing and keeping them as nice as I can. However Rock chips are gonna happen no matter what. Maybe repaint it, and PPF the hood, and front bumper?

Santiago

Established Member
I say it paint it too
There’s always a good shop with a good painter around mite be expensive but most people won’t even notice it

ZiaRunner

Established Member
I’d say repaint for a few reeasons: Your car is valuable however, it’s not bone stock and not under 10k miles so likely won’t command that collector buyer mint tier Cobra money.

With that said, it looks like a gem and I think the repaint will make it look that much cleaner. If I was a potential buyer of well taken care of, lightly used cobra like yours and you had the repaint fully documented and done by a reputable place, I think it’d add value.

Users who are viewing this thread