Paint prep for 96 valve covers

Rick98Z

Established Member
Well my mystic has been out of commission for a little while while deciding to nickel and dime me to death :( Started with IRMC code for stuck closed. After pulling all that stuff apart to clean the IMRC's is decided to sand and paint my oxidized upper intake cover. Then when installing new spark plugs as part of a tune up, I discovered oil in the spark plug tube and a ripped gasket on one plug tube. So with valve cover gasket kit on order, I decided its prob time to clean and paint my severely oxidized valve covers...

Car was a non-garage kept Florida car up until 2013. Last owner even lived on the water so you can imagine the oxidation the aluminum things have under the hood! Everything is so brittle under there too, plastic clips break all the time when removing things. The valve covers coating was actually bubbled up in spots and upon pealing that away was white powedery oxidation on the metal. Does this sound like something I can just sand down myself and prime and paint? I really don't have the money to have blasted and am just trying to improve the appearance a little bit. Any tips on prep and painting these?

Martin6107

Established Member
I've repainted a few sets with high temp primer followed by several coats of high temp engine paint.
A few tips; After sanding the all the odd spots out, degrease using whatever engine cleaner you like. Follow up with a final cleaning with rags soaked in mineral spirits. Let dry overnight. Spray 2 light coats of primer following the can instructions then 3 or more coats of engine paint. Let dry for a few days before installing.

crazycarlo

Established Member
There are a lot of little ribs and dips. Do yourself a favor and get sanding sponges or if you can have them blasted somewhere.

Rick98Z

Established Member
Thanks for the tips guys...blasting not an option unfortunately due to funds. I have the passengers side valve cover off and have been working on it. Drivers side still on car as its the harder one to remove. I have been using a craftsman right angle die-grinder with sanding disks to get most the original coating off where I can without going too deep into the alum. I think I'm going to wrinkle finish the paint on the covers so my sanding doesnt have to be perfect. Will def try sanding sponges to get the little areas I cant get into though!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread