Paint Question - Engine Bay

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
Cross posting this in here as I am not really sure where it should go.

I just picked up an Accufab SBTB and Plenum for my 03 Cobra. I am very anti-chrome in my engine bay and the Accufab plenum is fairly 'blingy' to say the least. I am not going to bother with the throttle body, but would like to paint the plenum to be as 'invisible' as possible.

Was looking for advice / suggestions on a high temp paint that will closely match the stock blower / plenum finish. The factory paint is a bit of a matte gray. Picture is not of my engine bay, just for reference of the color / finish I am looking for.

6-20-10_067_2_.jpg

Also, if this is the wrong forum, please feel free to redirect me.

Thanks all :coolman:

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
I would check with local body shops or powder coaters to see what they could do. I am sure someone makes a rattle can that will work, but if you are a perfectionist the rattle can may not be a perfect match.

oldmodman

Established Member
If you do find a good rattle can match and decide to go that way be sure to get the tank blasted to roughen up the surface. It will really make the paint stick and give it a slightly rough, matte type surface. It is possible to sand the surface by hand too. Just make sure you reach every surface or the paint may not stick.

If it's powder coated the shop will take care of bead blasting the tank.

I used the Rust Oleum silver appliance epoxy paint and it has held up for ten years. (not on a Cobra part)

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
If you do find a good rattle can match and decide to go that way be sure to get the tank blasted to roughen up the surface. It will really make the paint stick and give it a slightly rough, matte type surface. It is possible to sand the surface by hand too. Just make sure you reach every surface or the paint may not stick.

If it's powder coated the shop will take care of bead blasting the tank.

I used the Rust Oleum silver appliance epoxy paint and it has held up for ten years. (not on a Cobra part)

The more I think about it, the more I think powder coat will be the way to go. I'm not to worried about the paint prep or paint sticking to the part, but I think finding a match I would be happy with is going to be more hassle than its worth. I need to order a new gasket set before I install anyways, so I will have a few days to kill.

Thanks for the input everyone. :beer:

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
The more I think about it, the more I think powder coat will be the way to go. I'm not to worried about the paint prep or paint sticking to the part, but I think finding a match I would be happy with is going to be more hassle than its worth. I need to order a new gasket set before I install anyways, so I will have a few days to kill.

Thanks for the input everyone. :beer:

Yep, I agree. local powder coaters would be cheap enough to hook up a part that small and I think you will be much happier going that route. I know I would be.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
not into bling but has a chrome oil cap..... Id leave your engine bay alone until you were ready to do a build.... Blower swap/port job then get parts that you wanted powdered while its apart all at once to match.... It looks just fine the way it is now. I don't think that small amount of powder coating would make much of a difference. But thats just my opinion.

For example......

IMG_2185_zps793674db.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread