Paint Removal from Rim w/o Damaging the rim at all

ajfiveoh

Established Member
Hey SVTP

i picked up a set of racestars last season, and at the time of purchase i needed tires, didnt mind the black paint as it matched my car but this season i would like to try the polished look. upon further investigation i realized that it was in fact paint (Some sort of tremclad i THINK but could be wrong) as opposed to my initial assumption that it was just some plasti-dip. well im looking for some advise on what i can use that is a good balance of powerful/gentle to remove it. i realize i may have to do some polishing/buffing to bring back the shine but i would like to keep the factory clear/shine.

i have 0 knowledge in this area, any advise would help

thanks SVTP!

Rim 1
20140108_233521.jpg

Rim 1
20140108_233502.jpg

Rim 1
20140108_233451.jpg

Rim 2
20140108_233618.jpg

Rim 2
20140108_233625.jpg

Rim 2
20140108_233607.jpg

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Chemical paint stripper. You can get some over the counted gels at your local hardware store. Let them soak for a good 10 minutes, rinse the majority off with a hose, then hit the wheel with a pressure washer.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Blowtorch. It won't hurt the rim at all. May screwup the finish a little.

Might help, but it wouldn't completely remove the finish and that's a lot of heat. I've got a commercial chemical stripping tank that would remove that coating off in one big sheet and leave the aluminum as clean as the day it was formed.

Home depo should have something, possible labeled as an aircraft stripper.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Might help, but it wouldn't completely remove the finish and that's a lot of heat. I've got a commercial chemical stripping tank that would remove that coating off in one big sheet and leave the aluminum as clean as the day it was formed.

Home depo should have something, possible labeled as an aircraft stripper.

Brother that was a complete joke. Don't use a blowtorch on a wheel lol. I'd say powdercoat the thing and get it over with :beer:

OP...try some Simple Green and a soapy brillo first (on the rear barrels not the fronts). If that doesn't work it's dang deeply embedded.

Last edited:

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Brother that was a complete joke. Don't use a blowtorch on a wheel lol. I'd say powdercoat the thing and get it over with :beer:

I was gonna say... lol

That's a ton of heat on an aluminum wheel. I've torched LARGE steel items that were powder coated to help "loosen" the finish before blasting.

OP, a good powder coating shop should be able to take care of you. Let me know if you need any help.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
I was gonna say... lol

That's a ton of heat on an aluminum wheel. I've torched LARGE steel items that were powder coated to help "loosen" the finish before blasting.

OP, a good powder coating shop should be able to take care of you. Let me know if you need any help.

Whoosh right over your head lol. Are you a blonde by chance? :poke:

Users who are viewing this thread