Painting Coil Covers??

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I was wondering what those of you with GT coil covers did to get all the clear coat off before you painted down in the letters. I have used Aircraft Strip, but it just makes the clear turn to goo.

I have used a wire brush, but there is still some down in them. I am going to try a Dremel with a wire wheel next and see what that does.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone know the paint code for the silver our engine?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Contact Brad (not sure of his actual forum name) out of Boston. I believe he's done it. If I find his forum name I'll post it.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Not too big a deal, just wondering what was the best way to get into the corners of the letters really. And if there is a better stripping agent that would help.

FordFreak

Established Member
mblgjr said:
Didn't want to bead them because of the texture it creates.

Oh, I was thinking you were having them polished. Glass bead doesnt leave a rough finish. Paint will cover it up.

Even when you have them powder coated they are glass beaded.

vipergts281

Established Member
sambandit said:
I painted mine with little or no preb at all. Just hit it with a scotch brite pad and you'll be just fine...
I remember seeing a pic of yours. They look great. The only Ford GT coil covers that I actually like, I don't care for them in stock form.

:beer:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I got the clear off really well using a wire wheel on a dremel to get down in the letters.

I appreciate the help, does anyone know what the paint code of our engine paint is? The silver?

Thanks.

oldmodman

Established Member
I soaked mine in acetone overnight and scrubbed then with a soft toothbrush. All the clear coating came off, even down in the letters. A couple of spots with really thick coating took a second washdown to get the last bit off.

Users who are viewing this thread